Won't sleep tonight

Sympathise with anybody who is unable to attend and that wants to but I do think even though we're in a :censored:e position in the league there is a good feeling around the club at the moment.

My uncle, who I've gradually persuaded over the past 2 years to come back to BP after a long absence of over a decade, is getting a season ticket next season with another one of his friends who hasn't been a regular for a long time. They're not the only returners either from what I've seen on this forum recently.

As much as there has been a lot of :censored: this season it can be geniunely entertaining to have a scrap, something to play contrasting with the last few safe seasons where there's been nothing really to play for.

There's some intrigue with a new manager, FA Cup run and the development of a new stand all happening and a squad that we all agree should do better and could do better next season with good leadership.

There's reasons for optimism and reasons to Keep the Faith.

Edited by NewBlue

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well this thread is full of joy isn't it.

And a magnet for the judgemental types and Superfans.

Lets look at a few facts.

When Dave was part of the group that formed Oasis (not the band!!!), it was he who gave me the information, before the Internet was invented, which I will always be grateful.

It was Dave who gave me the enjoyment with his view on the travails and travels following Latics up and down the country with the motley crew of hardcore supporters in his book he wrote. Something I was not able to do at the time.

Dave said it was his first HOME game for a few years, not his first game for a few years, living 200 miles away and family means not following them home and away.

We all have our reasons, and should not have to justify ourselves on here.

http://www.webservicesbc.com/latics/safe.html

Edited by singe

Well played Singe!!! People forgot what it costs many of us for just 3/4 home games a year is what it costs a ST holder, who can walk along to BP at 2.45, for the whole season!

Remember boys anyone who shows any critism of any for our OASIS merry band will be rounded up and .... well ill leave that surprise to Leeslover!!

Enjoy Dave (although if your wasting your time reading this right now your clearly not!!)

Well played Singe!!! People forgot what it costs many of us for just 3/4 home games a year is what it costs a ST holder, who can walk along to BP at 2.45, for the whole season!

Remember boys anyone who shows any critism of any for our OASIS merry band will be rounded up and .... well ill leave that surprise to Leeslover!!

Enjoy Dave (although if your wasting your time reading this right now your clearly not!!)

To be fair, I am sure Dave is chuckling away to himself!

Some weapons on here, people don't have to justify themselves to any keyboard warriors why they don't go anymore!!! Fed up of hearing the superfans show off because they didnt have to queue for Everton tickets coz they can afford £350 up front, well done, i'll spend more at Orient away that you do for a ST, but yeah well played you're in the nice position of 1) having the cash for a ST in June and 2) having every other Saturday free.

As LL said,enjoy the fact we're doing alright for once and having some big games to look forward to.

Some weapons on here, people don't have to justify themselves to any keyboard warriors why they don't go anymore!!! Fed up of hearing the superfans show off because they didnt have to queue for Everton tickets coz they can afford £350 up front, well done, i'll spend more at Orient away that you do for a ST, but yeah well played you're in the nice position of 1) having the cash for a ST in June and 2) having

every other Saturday free.

As LL said,enjoy the fact we're doing alright for once and having some big games to look forward to.

I don't think you or singe read the thread?

Nobody actually called Dave for not going?

Edited by Schlieb

Haven't been to a home game this season and threads like this make it even more unlikely. Keep up the good work chaps BP crowds will be down to 2500 before you know it....

I agree with o4u and if you dont like it, its a :censored: off from me aswell.

I am happy to tell you why?

It's nowt to do with your kids nappies or the cost of anything else.

I really understand that people can be under financial pressure and pity those fans who can't afford to come at the moment................................

HOWEVER, for the first time in years Latics are riding on the crest of a wave (those of us who go week in week out are thrilled to bits).

The last thing we need is an attention seeking supporter like you to tell everyone we will be down to 2,500 home fans when we are currently enjoying being "on the up"!

We suffer the :censored:e most weeks, dont try and piss on our chips right now.

Saying ':censored: off then' to someone you do not know, and know nothing about their situation doesn't come across as 'a genuinely nice person' to me.

I've explained, at quite some length, that my comment towards you is nothing to do with your "circumstances".

Indeed, it seems that those circumstances mirror those of my own a few years ago. Despite have spent much of my life watching real live football I found myself as the sole earner with three kids. Teletext and the local paper was how I kept up to date. And as the oldest child got to an age where he could get down to BP himself we looked at the family budget and gave him £3 a fortnight to go to Saturday games. Then I got match reports within an hour of the game finishing.

I have no idea who Dave Og is. But I understand that he lives a good six hour round trip away. I don't think that's a drive I'd take on 25 times a season either.

So, to repeat again, if you're not going because your family is more important to you than football, fine. It's the same decision I made over a decade ago. More money and I could have done both. But life forces these choices upon us.

But you stated that because of some fairly innocuous comment earlier in this thread you're even less likely to return. Indeed, you appeared to enjoy the thought of crowds dropping even further than the alarming levels seen this season.

I shouldn't have said what I said. So I apologise. But you need to be more honest with yourself. If a thread like this makes your return to BP unlikely, are you ever coming back?

Haven't been to a home game this season and threads like this make it even more unlikely. Keep up the good work chaps BP crowds will be down to 2500 before you know it....

Edited by opinions4u

Some weapons on here, people don't have to justify themselves to any keyboard warriors why they don't go anymore!!!

For clarity, my "altercation" was nothing to do with the reasons for fans not going anymore. I'm quite aware that the path life leads us down or :censored: football are the two main reasons.

Fed up of hearing the superfans show off because they didnt have to queue for Everton tickets coz they can afford £350 up front, well done, i'll spend more at Orient away that you do for a ST, but yeah well played you're in the nice position of 1) having the cash for a ST in June and 2) having every other Saturday free.

So you have £350 for a trip to Orient at the end of April? Your life. Your choice.

I have £350 spare too. £26 for two return train tickets. £30 in to the ground for me and the youngest. A tenner for lunch and hopefully enough left over for a season ticket if they knock a few quid off the price. Then I won't have to queue when we draw Accrington away in the first round of the JPT next season.

Please can you give me a specific example of where somebody is showing off their superfan status in this thread. You're the only one to gloat about having enough money for a season ticket. You're just choosing to spend that money on different things.

Edited by opinions4u

Some weapons on here, people don't have to justify themselves to any keyboard warriors why they don't go anymore!!! Fed up of hearing the superfans show off because they didnt have to queue for Everton tickets coz they can afford £350 up front, well done, i'll spend more at Orient away that you do for a ST, but yeah well played you're in the nice position of 1) having the cash for a ST in June and 2) having every other Saturday free.

Alex, just curious, how do you manage to spend over £350 on one game? If it's for several people it's pretty pointless comparing it to the cost of one ST.

BTW you don't have to pay for your ticket in one go, the club has schemes to spread the cost.

Gosh... You know what? I did enjoy my second game of the week. Better atmosphere than the last few visits. Good if slightly nervy result. I won't be buying a new season ticket but then as.i've never owned one it would be a bit radical to do so.

Bloody stay away going to more games than me this week! Shame on you!

Edited by opinions4u

Alex, just curious, how do you manage to spend over £350 on one game? If it's for several people it's pretty pointless comparing it to the cost of one ST.

BTW you don't have to pay for your ticket in one go, the club has schemes to spread the cost.

That's about what I spent on the play-off semi at Blackpool, but that was through an implausible set of random cock-ups!

So much of this thread is missing the point. Although I''ll acknowledge that the main stand upper is probably not where the bright young things go it was very noticeable yesterday that apart from my 15 year old son I really couldn't see anyone who I was sure was younger than me (50).

People will always drift away as life moves on and priorities change but the club's future does not depend on the club getting the likes of me attending on a regular basis; it's in attracting a new audience to replace the old.

I was sat in the main stand upper and I did see and do see kids coming to games Dave.

Although this maybe a sign to how bad things have gone in recent year the cup run put I believe 1000 on the gate yesterday. Its pretty obvious that the facilities are in a pretty desperate state which is having an effect and we will always have the United/City/Sky problem. But if we make an effort and improve the facilities we can get them interested in coming down Kids do like going watching football still even in 2013 and all the distrations.

Joking aside, it's probably more £100,

anyway looking back, my rant wasn't really aimed at anyone in particular, more to people i've been speaking to and on twitter etc, lording it up that they didn't have to queue in the cold and they're glad that people were because they didn't have a ST etc

Bully for you like.

Anyway, glad you enjoyed the game Dave.

obviously a true supporter then

People make choices Mick. At a distance of 200 milesor so, having lived that far away for two thirds of my life and having plenty of othe commitments my attendance will not be regular. Granted I'm more likely to make appearances when thing s are going well but even then it's highly unliely to be more than three or four time a season.

I'm really not the target market

So much of this thread is missing the point. Although I''ll acknowledge that the main stand upper is probably not where the bright young things go it was very noticeable yesterday that apart from my 15 year old son I really couldn't see anyone who I was sure was younger than me (50).

People will always drift away as life moves on and priorities change but the club's future does not depend on the club getting the likes of me attending on a regular basis; it's in attracting a new audience to replace the old.

Quite a few of us under-50s sit in the MSU over near the rocky side, near the front.