Matt Smith

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Got to say that if I was Smith I would jump at the chance of more money.

If he refused a step up and stayed loyal with us and didn't continue his current performances he would be off next summer. Chances are then he would have to take a step sideways or down at best.

If he moved to a championship club even on the bench and doesn't get much of a look in chances are someone high in league 1 would take a punt and give him a chance next summer.

All down to how confident he is to make a step up...

Blu Guru has it spot on above IMO.

Smith's best chance of a decent move is right now. While he's still being talked about and is fresh in the memory after his 3 decent games against higher opposition. Strike whilst the irons hot for him, and before people realise he's actually not very good (yet - emphasis on that)

So if he goes to the Championship for say £400-£500 a week more than he's on with us, that basically a £20K a year wage increase. Who could blame him for that? Make hay and all that; and when he's found out at the higher level - the lower league target man career he's already forging can just continue. If he's sensible (And he is it seems) he'll then be able to continue to play in League 1 or 2; just with a decent bit of money from bench warming for a year or 2.

I have it in my head he's gone. I thought that as soon as he got his fancy new boot deal for scoring 2 goals on the TV. His increase in twitter followers and from having Adrian Chilles fall in love with him has seen his stock rise well above his actual ability. He'd be foolish to not take advantage of that whilst he can and before he's found out. Good luck to the lad mind; and he goes with a massive thanks from me for his recent exploits.

Blu Guru has it spot on above IMO.

Smith's best chance of a decent move is right now. While he's still being talked about and is fresh in the memory after his 3 decent games against higher opposition. Strike whilst the irons hot for him, and before people realise he's actually not very good (yet - emphasis on that)

So if he goes to the Championship for say £400-£500 a week more than he's on with us, that basically a £20K a year wage increase. Who could blame him for that? Make hay and all that; and when he's found out at the higher level - the lower league target man career he's already forging can just continue. If he's sensible (And he is it seems) he'll then be able to continue to play in League 1 or 2; just with a decent bit of money from bench warming for a year or 2.

I have it in my head he's gone. I thought that as soon as he got his fancy new boot deal for scoring 2 goals on the TV. His increase in twitter followers and from having Adrian Chilles fall in love with him has seen his stock rise well above his actual ability. He'd be foolish to not take advantage of that whilst he can and before he's found out. Good luck to the lad mind; and he goes with a massive thanks from me for his recent exploits.

Agree with all of this except I think there's a possibility he could make it at a higher level. Its a big 'if' but he had Liverpool and Everton defenders terrified. An Everton supporting mate of mine said their fans (and he thought their players) have never been so afraid of an opposition player in recent times. Distin was clearly uncomfortable when Smith came on in both games after having it easy against Iwelump.

If he's supremely self-confident, he may want to play regular football and feel he can keep improving before going for an even bigger move next summer. If he's as bright as he seems, I suspect he'll do as you suggest and leave now for the money.

And I wouldn't blame him. But I would like to see him playing for us next year if he can keep up the cup form.

Edited by bossrocks

• 1 month later...

He scored just before he was going to be subbed! And how he was named MOTM ......

But thanks for the goals Matt, it looked as though you were saying goodbye when you left the pitch. Good luck in th future.

Was that the furthest out he has scored?

He scored just before he was going to be subbed! And how he was named MOTM ......

But thanks for the goals Matt, it looked as though you were saying goodbye when you left the pitch. Good luck in th future.

Was that the furthest out he has scored?

Think it was...and in the pre match shooting practice he couldn't hit a barn door.

Many Premiership managers will now be thinking of using Mat Smith as a 'Plan B', especially in Europe, even Barcelona's defenders wouldn't know how to cope with him as normally they don't come up against that type of player.

Matt Smith heading the winner in a Champions League Cup Final - you saw it here first.

Keepers' worst nightmare mate!

Edit: he's a :censored:in wreckin ball

Pause for thought: is he a better player when the tide is in our favour...?

Edited by tangerinedreams

• 3 weeks later...