MERGE-O-TRON : Tonight's Meeting with Lee Johnson

No signing players for the sake of it that I haven’t personally seen. I will delve into their background, social media, are they always out? Do they live breathe football? Are they fit, young, hungry that want to better themselves? I will not sign any player permanently that I haven’t done a serious amount of homework on. If they are right for me, the team and Oldham Athletic they will get a deal, if they are simply another ‘name’ not a chance. With loanees they are a stop gap so it’s different but no player will get a permanent contract at Oldham Athletic without my strict process of due-diligence being carried out. Only when all the boxes are ticked then, only then they get the deal.

For this alone he gets my vote :chubb:

This reminds me of an assistant manager from the 1980s who always asked for background on a player before watching him play.

It worked well for Peter Taylor.

Edited by BP1960

• Replies 138
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thought he handled himslef really well, seems dedicated and his passion for the game is pleasing.

I feel more comfortable after being in his company, he didnt shirk any question.

Simon, be a bit more relaxed, even Lee rolled his eyes when he went on a rant.

Best moment, sorry Prozac, your entrance was a spectacular one, broke the ice....

Great to see other members there, not met anyone off here before, ( apart from O4U).

Apologies to the rest of the group, I got a bit carried away with my questions in the first 5 minutes,.

Think also might have broken (sprained) my ankle which has gone up like a balloon! Anyone got the number for claims direct, i'm gonna sue…..

:blind::stretcher:

All encouraging sounds. The proof of the pudding will be in the eating but I'm now very disappointed I am unable to go tomorrow night and wouldn't have been thinking that if things had been left as they were.

Good luck, Lee. Welcome to BP.

Thanks very much to those who attended and took the time to inform us of what went on.

It's time for us to back the manager and give Lee the chance he deserves.

I spat my dummy out yesterday, but I feel 100% more positive given the comments of those who attended.

My only worry is a lack of respect from some of the older players.

This reminds me of an assistant manager from the 1980s who always asked for background on a player before watching him play.

It worked well for Peter Taylor.

And a lot of what I've heard and read today reminds me of the manager with whom he worked. Funny we're playing Hartlepool where it all started.

Think also might have broken (sprained) my ankle which has gone up like a balloon! Anyone got the number for claims direct, i'm gonna sue…..

Oh no, stick a bag of ice on it, elevate it at 90 degrees and if its still bad to to A and E... I hope its just sprained.

Thanks very much to those who attended and took the time to inform us of what went on.

I spat my dummy out yesterday, but I feel 100% more positive given the comments of those who attended.

That was my biggest worry yesterday too but LJ seems like he's going to take no crap from anybody regardless of who they are, and I think he hit the nail on the head with some footballers who like being called a footballer without wanting to be one, think that's about to change.

I'm quite looking forward to tomorrows game now.

Soft arse.

I'll go back to what I said last night. I generally like the attitude of young untried managers they tend to go that extra step and have the benefit of youth on their side. LJ has been to a number of matches kept under the radar and done his homework. Before the press conference today (his 1st official day) he has taken the 1st team training session had a group meeting to set out what he wants and expects as well as having 1 on 1 sessions with 6 players (the rest to follow over the next few days) To top that he has had the usual press conference and radio interviews to do and still insists on finding the time to spend a good hour or so with a group of fans to give them a flavour of what he is all about. He already has his game plan in place tomorrow night and I think you will be surprsied (but pleased) with what you see.

It is this type of enthusiasm that I like and why I favour the young untried over the experienced (failed elsewhere seeking another chance) candidates. Sure if Dowie, Mourinho Wenger were avaialable and we had the money to pay them I would have a different view, but the fact is we have to survive on the gates we have and that doesn't stretch to that type of "experience."

My posts last night were purely about my personal preferance and I think we have seen today the benefits that someone like LJ can bring to our club. I really would not want us to bring a Phil Brown, Sammy Lee or Brian Little character in. They have all failed. I'd rather have the enthusiasm of youth and it looks like we have got it.

Not wanting to have a go at others and I honestly respect their opinions. This however always was and remains my opinion.

I wish Lee every success and he will also need some luck over the coming weeks.

We have all had our say now and it is time to move on. The appointment has been made. The immediate future is what is important and for every 90 minutes we need to be all signing from the same hymn sheet starting tomorrow night, 3 BIG points on offer tomorrow so please all get behind the boys in blue.

Oh when the blueeeeees!!!!!!

Thought you made some good points also Luke tonight very interesting night.

Thanks Tom, really appreciate that mate.. Like you, I am a massive fan, been going for over 30 years.. You nailed a couple of questions, maybe you can post on here about the reserves and keep us all in the know...

My immediate thoughts is that the club is in safe hands with Lee, dont get me wrong I dont expect miracles.

Like I said today, I went to the meeting confused as hell and a little perplexed, after 1 hour you could see his passion and knowledge, he needs our backing and support.

Thanks Tom, really appreciate that mate.. Like you, I am a massive fan, been going for over 30 years.. You nailed a couple of questions, maybe you can post on here about the reserves and keep us all in the know...

Thought i had already mentioned it mate will have a look at my previous replies.

Thanks for the summaries guys, I feel a lot better for reading them.

I do still have doubts but to be honest, whoever we brought in at this stage was going to be a gamble - LJ certainly seems to have his head screwed on and is a more inspiring choice than the other names mentioned (Brown, Ternant, Kuqi).

Looking forward to tomorrow night now, which I didn't think I'd be saying after Saturday.

Thanks for the summaries guys, I feel a lot better for reading them.

I do still have doubts but to be honest, whoever we brought in at this stage was going to be a gamble - LJ certainly seems to have his head screwed on and is a more inspiring choice than the other names mentioned (Brown, Ternant, Kuqi).

Looking forward to tomorrow night now, which I didn't think I'd be saying after Saturday.

I wish they had recorded Kuqi's interview, SC was rather funny in his feedback,.

Thanks to the 12 for keeping us all in the loop. I feel a lot more confident now having read all the above and the attitude of Lee and his actions so far regarding recruiting new faces, handling existing players and identifying weaknesses with the view to address are very encouraging.

Hopefully Corney will support Lee with strengthening and then enable Lee to build a team that he wants - pace, pressure the opposition in the final third, supply from the flanks and crosses aplenty with creativity in the middle.

A big step in the right direction and hopefully Lee can succeed where Dickov failed - talking the talk but delivering too.

Would be interested to know more on Corney's rant regarding the messageboard as posters on here over the last 48 hours have been justified. However, touching on Prozac's other post; anyone who has threatened Corney, sent hate mail or got personal deserve banning for life and should be banned from here. Like him or loathe him this is unacceptable!