MERGE-O-TRON : Tonight's Meeting with Lee Johnson

• Replies 138
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

So - just back in from the meeting. It was interesting.

Lee Johnson, Barry Owen and Simon Corney from the club, and us 12 or so fans.

My overiding emotion is i still think this is such a risky appointment for our current predicement BUT having now met and spoken with LJ; i know understand more why the full board were so keen to offer him the position.

He's very articulate (though he does sound a bit like Beckham) and his qualifications are impressive.

He's a real bullet point summary - but im sure the others will fill in & around:

• Very well qualified in terms of badges. Was fast tracked at the FA, hold all the badges, and has taken courses in leadership and sports science
  • Has actually watched out last 6 games and was very honest with his assessments of our current form and players
  • Has bucket loads of contacts - from direct family members all in the game; to friends at PL clubs and players in different countries.
  • He basically signed Korey Smith - after passing on the recommendation to SC even before he got the job!
  • Wants to bring in 1 or 2 more; and SC will give him the funds to do so.
  • At the moment, he'll have no Number 2 - but he has a short list of 3. The one he wants is at another club so will have to wait till summer for him. Happy to work with TP, PG & Byrne and Murray until then if needs be.
  • He has plans for how to set up the current players. There will be changes tomorrow night; someone is playing in a different role "for te team".
  • He's had a meet with 6 players today; the rest tomorrow. Some home truths spoken already.
  • He see's it as a project and he WILL leave the club in a better position than it currently is - his firm words.
  • He ruined the fitness of the side - said he'll do his best to get them up to speed as quick as poss but he'll have to initially set up to cater for the fact that we're "really an unfit side"
  • Players are good enough on the face of it. His job is o get them to believe that.
  • Really engaging and positive chap - impressed in him.
  • Simon went on a bit of rant for a while - i think he was set for a bit of scrap that wasnt our aim - and once he realised that, calmed down.
  • He filled in some more details on Furman, Matt Smith (who is definitely off to the Championship) and of the x2 trailists from the last 2 pre-seasons.

Barry then spoke about the other interviewees:

• Kuqi was one - but he really didn't impress.
  • John Gregory, Brian Little, John Coleman, Phil Brown all applied (small mersy's dor LJ then eh?)
  • And Dowie was never really ever on the cards - finances were the stumbling block - not length of contract.
  • Lee Johnson was backed up and vouched for by 2 high profile managers - 1 being King Kenny.
  • Barry expects the new stand to break ground in the summer.
  • Oh - and comedy moment goes to Prozac for his fall into the boardroom late entrance - it stopped Simon's mini rant so 2 birds and all that!!

Wonder if that's Croft in midfield ?

Fairly sure Corney said Little and Gregory applied and there was no point interviewing them again because he's done it before. Not sure Coleman got that far. I think Brown has been interviewed this time round but didn't get people excited.

He did he said they where both interviewed.

Wonder if that's Croft in midfield ?

I would predict it's either Barnard up top running channels himself, smith at RB instead of Brown OR really left field (it is a day for it!) Montano up front which given he is our only player with undoubted pace could be less bizarre than it sounds!

First of all I was late so missed the first ten minutes or so, I then proceeded to go arse over tit when entering the room which I think helped break the tension as I believe Simon was on a bit of tirade against the negativity of us lot and the message board in general, tbf that wasn't what the meeting was about. So glad I helped get us back on track!

Questions I asked, others asked me to ask and other points raised and answered:

Who carried out the interviews and who selected the manager?

Who was the football consultant during the recruitment process?

Was it a whole process, did Corney make the final decision?

Simon received calls from to ex-Premier League managers recommended Lee, he also received two calls from the coaches within the FA. At first Simon wasn’t interested but when Kenny Dalglish recommends someone, perhaps you need to listen. He had an initial conversation with Lee and was blown away, he was then concerned with how the fans would react. So he didn’t say anything to his fellow directors, and asked them to interview Lee individually and re-convene afterwards. They were similarly captivated but just as tentative as Corney was, over appointing such a young unknown. The consensus was if we didn’t take him, then others would. As it happens Liverpool were considering offering him a position within their set-up.

What happened to listening to the fans?

Is this not simply a panic appointment?

SC: We spoke to Dowie, but simply couldn’t get near what he wanted. We considered a part-time option but it is clear that would have been unworkable. After that it was a pretty uninspiring list of applicants compromising of such ‘personalities’ as Stan Ternant, John Gregory, Brian Little etc.. Shefki Kuqi was interviewed but didn’t impress enough, however he congratulated the club on their new appointment today. Phil Brown was considered, but his public persona is also his private one and was definitely a no go.

Is constantly berating the players in the press counter productive?

Was bollocking the players in the dressing room on Saturday a mistake?

SC; On reflection in 9 years it’s only the 3rd time (twice when we’ve had great cup results and once on Saturday) I’ve been in the dressing room. Perhaps in the future I will bite my tongue a little and be too over-emotional. But they deserved it on Saturday.

Will the construction of the new stand commence even if we go down?

SC: Yes, yes, yes it will happen.

Are you leaving if we go down?

SC: No, Lee’s appointment and enthusiasm to help move the club forward has re-invigorated me compared to where I was even last week.

SC on Players:

Expects Smith to sign for a Championship team for 4 times his money, one or two likely to go too.

SC on Budget:

Lee more than happy with budget which shocked me, money no object in keeping us up and told him his budget for next season. We’ll do what it takes to keep us up.

Lee Johnson

Will you be in charge Tuesday night?

LJ: Yes, today training was nice and bright, there’s plenty to work on I’ve seen enough of us over the last couple of weeks in preparing for my interview to know things aren’t right. There’s going to be tweaks here and there but not divulging too much. Interesting that I looked up a player’s stats from the best period in his career compared to now and he is half the player in terms of sheer effort, that needs to improve quickly.

Are you intending to get your boots on?

LJ: No, I’m probably going to register for the reserves so I can keep a close eye on the youngsters and help bring them on.

If the club are relegated, do you have a mandate to take us forward?

Yes, I know my budget for next season. I can’t say we won’t go down, what I will say is we will have a right good go, playing the right way. I tell you now, I am convinced that when my contract is due for renewal we will be in a better position than when we arrived.

How do you think you can win over our famously fickle and underachieving dressing room?

They either want to be professional footballers or not. Some of our squad like being pros but don’t have the desire or application in their game, this will change. Believe me, you will see an improvement, they are all playing for their futures.

We are a team of pussycats, devoid of leadership, where’s the impetus for survival going to come from?

I keep stats on every player, Jonathon Grounds I know well, the lads a leader but it seems to have been driven from him. This will change and quickly, he’s better than this level and we have to get him back there. I want snappier play, I want communication and I want winners out there.

How do you want to set up Oldham Athletic to play?

LJ: Football on the deck, passing at a high temp, good pro-active attitude. Ball down the flanks, pace up front, plenty of crosses and real footballers in centre-midfield. Biggest bug bear I have seen is players not getting beyond down the flanks and in the middle. Central to my plans will be pace on the flanks and up top, hit teams hard and fast.

The squad

LJ: Lack of pace and fitness I believe is a big issue, don’t create enough chances, don’t take enough chances either goalscoring or otherwise. Way too rigid. No tempo, zero desire to get in behind. The dynamic of the whole team needs tweaking. You’ll see us set up different tomorrow night. I made Jose Baxter take 10 penalties today, he slipped on his arse on one, missed another and scored the other 8, he didn’t chip one!

Also considering fines for wrong footwear ie mouldeds on slippy heavy pitches. Unreal how often our players slip (hooray!!!)

Teams get in behind us too easily, back line like a crooked dog’s leg. Need to be one line and straight. Unsure how players will react to Saturday’s slating.

However, good group of players, blend isn’t right sometimes-just need one player for that to change. (He’s actively looking to bring in pace – wanted Aarron Maclean but won’t come)

Alan Lee also offered, told Hudds to sod off, thankfully!

There will be reports on young players every month, and I will looking for progression, I’ll be registering for the reserve league to encourage and help bring them on.

The club

LJ: There seems to have been no real proper plan of progression here for years, I intend to change that. Let’s go for it!

Assistant Manager:

LJ: Guy I want is still under contract, very experienced but may have to wait until the summer, but Cliff and PG will assist me and TP on Matchday.

Systems:

All my players will be able to play in three different systems from top to bottom of the club, player will know their role.

Recruitment:

No signing players for the sake of it that I haven’t personally seen. I will delve into their background, social media, are they always out? Do they live breathe football? Are they fit, young, hungry that want to better themselves? I will not sign any player permanently that I haven’t done a serious amount of homework on. If they are right for me, the team and Oldham Athletic they will get a deal, if they are simply another ‘name’ not a chance. With loanees they are a stop gap so it’s different but no player will get a permanent contract at Oldham Athletic without my strict process of due-diligence being carried out. Only when all the boxes are ticked then, only then they get the deal.

I will look at 3-4 options for every position, young, up and coming, journeyman, old head and choose best option, I hope every time but only when background checks, due diligence carried out on their hunger, desire and aspirations for Oldham Athletic.

I’m very much into stats, technicalities and sports science. I will be very surprised if we make mistakes with our permanent recruits, our homework will have been done and thoroughly. I’ve already made 200 calls or texts, spoke to over 30 players some unavailable, some we can’t afford. Others happy to sit on their arses and take the money. Sadly, too many footballer don’t want to play football.

I believe I will get my transfer dealings right, trust me. Number one priority is pace. I’m happy with the budget, more than happy and we can overachieve on it easily.

I have to say, my initial doubts about it being a massive gamble remain, given the precarious nature of our position, but you can’t help but be impressed by the guy. Corney looks happier and more relaxed than he has done in a while too, and having spoke to Neil Joy and Barry Owen too, they are delighted with our new appointment and seem genuinely convinced we have pulled off something of a coup. The other names Dowie apart, were far from inspiring and Little and Gregory even made it interview I think Corney said. Brown wanted crazy money for him and Horton and then more money if he kept us up, so wasn’t an option – add in the cock factor and thank Christ for that.

The off-field stuff was reassuring, and the stand has to happen it’s been confirmed in front of over a dozen fans, so let’s get it passed and moved forward.

My own opinion

I know many of you are not happy about the appointment, but all we can do is wait and see, the club didn’t have to set up today’s meeting but I am glad they did and some (not all) of my fears have been allayed. It’s a crazy gamble and may pay off, it may not, But if we do go down we’ll be ok I reckon. Unlike Dickov, this lad is organized and has a plan. Dickov simply talked a good game, let’s see and give him the chance to prove he can carry it out.

He’s got a two year deal, let’s pull together and secure our status, get the stand built and try and move this club forward.

I have to say I’ve questioned Simon Corney time and again, but he does make himself accessible to speak to people like me that openly criticize the club, I do believe he is not beyond criticism or suspicion but if he does build the stand and keep to his promise of not putting the club in administration, or doesn’t quit if we go down then maybe I’ll get off his case a bit more.

Barry Owen: The one thing Barry does do is put himself out there, I might not always agree with what he says and we have sparred many times in the past but he does try and make sense of Simon’s madness at times. So well done for it.

Neil Joy: Even Neil came to have a chat and I found him thoroughly accommodating and he believes we have brought in a winner. He comes across as quiet and unassuming, but also thoughtful and a very intelligent guy.

I think it's a bit unfair about Croft. His work ethic has been great since PD left and he's lost a lot of weight. I think he's a good player for us

Even though you're right in what you say about his effort this season and his recent substantial weight loss a precedent has to be set in the team. Although I'd still like him in the team.

No player can be an exception to the rule and it's a way of stamping authority. Something he needs to do as a 31 year old manager. He probably acknowledges what Crofty has done for us but it backs up his quote, "Some prefer being footballers than playing football", which is always a good thing to hear and see is happening. Makes his words trustworthy.

Sounds like the type that will be banning snoods and gloves, too which I can't say I'm going to miss! And I don't have a clue why you'd want 2 earrings anyway which goes along with every player that plays with Crofty saying he's the worst dressed!!!

Edited by NewBlue

Very happy with this appointment;

Young, fresh ideas but with enough old school common sense

Not afraid to tell the players a few home truths

Already up and running; watched 5/6 games and already picked team and tactics for tomorrow

If smaller clubs don't give young managers their first chance then we're all stuck with recycling the same old faces

I've supported Latics for over 40 years and not going to turn against the club for being far sighted and backing a hunch on a talented young bloke.....leaders are leaders regardless of age

I think it's a bit unfair about Croft. His work ethic has been great since PD left and he's lost a lot of weight. I think he's a good player for us

He knew all about Crofts game stats, he knew average km's ran during games. He talked of game stats and vo2 max stats. He is obviously into sports science and will expect and demand fit players. He talks the talk and backs things up with FACT. Got the feeling that Dickov talked the talked and there was nothing behind it. By the end I think most fans could see through his talk.

This guy seems very different and bit Corney and Barry remarked that there is substance behind his words. This came across today, and there appears to be a lot more to this guy than a good interview script.

Not at all lee croft has the ability to be championship and above hes played like a league 1 player all season the fact that a championship winger hasnt scored a goal in what must be pushing 40 league and cup games is not good enough he can play better than what we have seen from him this season. I also think hes the type of player who needs someone to keep him on his toes so thats a good move.

Thanks for the feedback from those who went. My feelings are that the club are trying to do something a bit different and I will back that and hope it works out. We can all make comparisons - but is LJ like PD at all, aside from it being their first management jobs? I like the talk of fitness and attitude, areas where PD seemed to walk the walk a touch.

Good idea to involve some fans early on but .......Sunday night notice for 4 pm Monday .......we are not all school teachers who finish at 3 pm & some employers require notice to be off work .....welcome to the real world Oldham Athletic.

Cheeky bastard, I finished at 3.45 today! ;-)

I was concerned last night but after reading the posts from the meeting (thank you for feedback) I am feeling a lot happier about the appointment especially if he kicks the players up the arse. We may loose some of the players but so many of them don't give a toss what's the point of having them

Best bit is about smith in the championship. I hope I am proved wrong but he isn't ready yet.

Good idea to involve some fans early on but .......Sunday night notice for 4 pm Monday .......we are not all school teachers who finish at 3 pm & some employers require notice to be off work .....welcome to the real world Oldham Athletic.

I think there'll be an evening event too in the near future.

We also have to live in the real world. The guy had to shoot over to Salford Quays to be on air with Radio Manchester after he met us. Lots of demands on his time but he still managed to give fans a good chunk of his time.

I left the meeting feeling very upbeat. I get the impression that LJ has spent the last ten years of his life preparing himself for a management job. He already has a plan for the club on how it should be run from the youth team to the first team, has a network of contacts and will have a full background on all his current and future players. If he can put all his theories into practice we could have a gem on our hands. Good luck to him and I genuinely hope it works out.

Thanks for the feedback from those who went. My feelings are that the club are trying to do something a bit different and I will back that and hope it works out. We can all make comparisons - but is LJ like PD at all, aside from it being their first management jobs? I like the talk of fitness and attitude, areas where PD seemed to walk the walk a touch.

He's a bit of a Robomanager. You can tell he's reall driven and wanted to do this for a long time. He's been planning for this a long time. He's had a lot of traing in management, phsychology and is obviously well thought of at the FA, hence the fast tracking.

He's that kid at school who knew exactly what he wanted to be, and knew exactly how to do it. I'm nearly 40 and I'm still not sure what career choices I should be making.

He's got a plan, I think it might even be a cunning plan.