MERGE-O-TRON : Tonight's Meeting with Lee Johnson

• Replies 138
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thank you to those who attended, really enjoyed reading your posts. I feel a lot about this appointment than I did 24 hours ago. It sounds as though he has done his homework on the club, players and fans. And pretty nailed what was wrong with the club right now. Good luck LJ, welcome to the mad house!

No it means he could afford to spend £890k on a house which was a project and then spend £90k doing the project.

Buying in Redland in Bristol to make money doesn't take a genius, it takes money.

Another good comment from Lee Johnson en talking about youth players was he said how they can get pissed off when a trialist from somewhere like Mozambique gets selected.

It was a good point Tom, Id forgot about that one.

Took me a while to read through the pages but it has given me a new insite into Lee that I didnt have before. Really do believe there could be something there, and to the people sticking up for croft, he shouldnt be wearing flash earrings in and around the club, its a no nonsence approach and I think its the right attitude to take with our current group of players.

Hes talking about pace, so maybe hes planning to move croft into the middle of the park? No greif to croft hes be top notch of late. but maybe that could be the position change he talked about.

As stated by many others, thank you to all the fans that went of there way to go down to the ground and report back to us.

I've been raging about the appointment for most of the day but I've been reading about his answers and views. Reading through it, it looks like he's very motivated, with good contacts and knows what he wants to do with the club. This is a new beginning guys, lets see what happens in the game vs Hartlepool.

Another good comment from Lee Johnson en talking about youth players was he said how they can get pissed off when a trialist from somewhere like Mozambique gets selected.

This I can't agree with. If you can't get yourself selected ahead of someone off a plane from a rough third world country, you seriously need to raise your game. Don't blame anyone else, buck your :censored:ing ideas up. Maybe the bloke off the plane wants it more than you do.

Really heartening to read the reviews.

I have written to Barry to thank him for his part in this. It was pleasing to read that the Board were concerned of the fans reaction, but good they had the guts to ride it out.

It would seem more events are planned, and that could be a really good thing. These all seem to fizzle out, no matter what manager and what club.

I do think that Lee's positive attitude will rub off on all those around it.

Now we see the walk, not just the talk.

Heres to the the new manager syndrome working for us, and the players have got a similar lift.

I know we've had our differences with the whole Iwelumo thing but this is one of the best topics I've seen, simply brilliant and very informative. I'm now convinced Lee is the right man for the job, I was annoyed yesterday thinking that he was just some other rookie, but after reading into how passionate he is I'm blown away, thank you. +1

Well today could hopefully be the turning point for our season if all the 'hype' is to be believed. I know I'm pretty much won over from when the rumours started circulating the night before last.

I feel like a breath of fresh air has blown into the club. Some great reading thanks to people like Prozac ( sorry the others but I'm at the end of a night shift lol ) .. and the guy seems to know what he wants, and further more how he wants it.

I'm actually really looking forward to this evening's match as we all know we need desperately to leave the stragglers WELL behind in our wake as we hopefully climb away from that bottom 4.

Due to upcoming holidays my last game will be on Easter Monday so it's only 2 games for me remaining this season.

I'm confident that the players will see what he's trying to do, to stop the rot, keep us up and in some ways make them better players.

It's a shame that this thread can't be made compulsive reading as i'm sure I'm gonna hear bleating as I walk upto the ground tonight. But please, please hope that this fella isn't greeted with heckles and moans from some of our more simple minded souls who turn up.

WELCOME to Ice Station Zebra Lee Johnson ... we know you'll do your best for us!

bring it on!!!

Given his age, understanding of social media and research methods I'd be very surprised if he hadn't had a login on here for a good few weeks and had been noting the kind of things he was going to be asked. He may well have even thrown in a few himself.

He's clearly had a postive 24hours and good on him for turning people round to be being more receptive and welcoming. Looking forward to an improved showing tonight (providing that the players have responded similarly).

Firstly I want to make it clear I was firmly in the "WHAT HAS CORNEY DONE" camp after this appointment....

As some of you read yesterday I wanted to know how LJ got in the door for an interview after 120 applications, realistically 50 must have had more experience than Lee. Well turns out Lee didn’t apply......

If you don’t already know LJ has been Fas tracked with the help of the FA into this role, and if your SC and you receive a call from Kenny Dalglish telling you this kid is good, SC would be stupid not to listen.

I was very impressed with LJ, he instantly picked up on the teams major issues and wasn’t afraid to name names, he didn’t jump to the defence of the players and he highlighted problems that he could fix quickly. I never heard this once from PD.

For me he is 2 or 3 levels above PD and even if we go down I am confident he knows what he is doing to bring us back. We are were we are because of the 36 games previous and my still criticise SC for waiting so long to goodbye to PD and waiting 8 games to replace him.

Its now over to the new gaffa and more importantly the players to turn up, show a desire to win, a desire to take a risk and a desire to have a go. I hope they realise that if they go down not to many clubs will be interested in them.

Simon Corney

You need to realise the fans keep your business going so yes their opinion you may not like but if you continue to alienate the fans you have no were to go. You walked into the meeting on the defensive and it showed. We/I have been critical of you for the lack of information that you share, once you relaxed into the meeting yesterday I felt you shared some really useful information with the group, however this needs to be made available to everyone. SC confirmed there were several managers offering to do the job for free! So this is not a cheap option.

I think the group understood why you hired LJ and for the good of the club I hope it works.

Barry Owen

Thank you for the invite as well as your time openly discussing things after SC and LJ had left.

Good luck LJ, its was a pleasure to meet you and I wish you all the best. Come on everyone 10 cup finals, 5 wins needed lets get behind him

I've been thinking about the earring and the "being footballers" things, I was pleased when Talbot got the players to wear suits and the thinking behind it, get them to act professionally off the pitch and they will act professionally on it. Will it work with the bling generation? I don't know, Dickov could do the old "point to your medals" but I don't think Johnson can, however what Johnson could do is turn that into an advantage. "My playing career is behind me, yours is in front of you, if you want to win things? Play higher? You want fame? Well, fame costs. And right here is where you start paying ... in sweat!"

It might just give these lads the kick that some of them need. Not all of them will react well to it and they will make for the exit as soon as they can, others will probably be assisted through the exit before they want to but that is football.

When I read the rumour on here that some unknown 31 year old was getting the job I really did think it was the bum steer until Dowie was unveiled, as it became more and more likely that it was true I couldn't believe it. I've liked hearing what he has said so far, definitely talking the talk and can understand how he blew the phone salesman, estate agent and bobby away, even more so when you think what a dinosaur or self-publicist would come out with in an interview. I also like the direction of travel that the board have tried to take with some of their managerial appointments, Dowie, Dickov and Johnson are/were young lads with fresh ideas, Dowie definitely had a philosophy. We can all quote the "Royton baths at 7am" line, I wouldn't be surprised to see a new one emerging soon.

I'm past really caring who is or isn't the manager, whilst they stand on that touchline I'm behind them and want them to do well. I support Latics, no longer bothers me who plays for us or manages us, I support the club not the team, I don't have any malice towards Shez, Penny or Dickov, lifes too short, I don't like though Moore cos he's a scouse prat but that's another issue. I'm hopeful that even though this appointment is more left field than giving the job to a lump of wood it might just pay off. Won't at first, there will be some nervous sphincters on the roads today as those lads get to training, we could see an unexpected reaction tonight but I think some of our fears about how Johnson will command the dressing room have been allayed.

Good luck son, your gonna need it.

31FHGflS-xL._SL500_AA300_.jpg