MERGE-O-TRON : Tonight's Meeting with Lee Johnson

Having read and digested Prozac's and Sly's in-depth summary it'sn all sitting slightly easier for me, but still stinks of a bit of a PR bull:censored: exercise to appease fans. I think I'll feel much better when SC stops spouting bollocks like "If we go down, I'm outta here". :censored: like that just doesn't go down well with fans and only serves to drive the negativity. The club need to be much, much better at being active with fans far more often.

It might sound whacky but these sort of parley's need to occur much more often. A manager and fans meet-up once a month to go over things. Ensure the manager hears the fans concerns. Gives the manager chance to explain why he made a certain decision which may not have gone down well with fans. It can only be productive and better overall for a club that has no marketing output and PR that'd make Gerald Ratner embarrassed.

• Replies 138
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

He might have been planning but .........watching our shower hoof the ball anywhere , the back four deciding who's turn it is to give a free goal away , every corner hitting the first defender , and shots endangering the pigeons nesting in the stands will test his resolve me thinks.

Good idea to involve some fans early on but .......Sunday night notice for 4 pm Monday .......we are not all school teachers who finish at 3 pm & some employers require notice to be off work .....welcome to the real world Oldham Athletic.

Most weeks i would of not been able to attend but guess what there was no garuntee you would of been selected. It was a quick fix press conference this afternoon, a big game tomorrow he wanted the chance to speak with the fans before the Hartlepool. Barry has already said he thinks this meeting has been a success and would like to do another one.

Thought he handled himslef really well, seems dedicated and his passion for the game is pleasing.

I feel more comfortable after being in his company, he didnt shirk any question.

Simon, be a bit more relaxed, even Lee rolled his eyes when he went on a rant.

Best moment, sorry Prozac, your entrance was a spectacular one, broke the ice....

Great to see other members there, not met anyone off here before, ( apart from O4U).

Apologies to the rest of the group, I got a bit carried away with my questions in the first 5 minutes,.

Having read and digested Prozac's and Sly's in-depth summary it'sn all sitting slightly easier for me, but still stinks of a bit of a PR bull:censored: exercise to appease fans. I think I'll feel much better when SC stops spouting bollocks like "If we go down, I'm outta here". :censored: like that just doesn't go down well with fans and only serves to drive the negativity. The club need to be much, much better at being active with fans far more often.

It might sound whacky but these sort of parley's need to occur much more often. A manager and fans meet-up once a month to go over things. Ensure the manager hears the fans concerns. Gives the manager chance to explain why he made a certain decision which may not have gone down well with fans. It can only be productive and better overall for a club that has no marketing output and PR that'd make Gerald Ratner embarrassed.

Barry looking to do this sort of thing much more often could even be on a monthly basis apparently, watch this space I s'pose...

Barry looking to do this sort of thing much more often could even be on a monthly basis apparently, watch this space I s'pose...

I hope so. It seems far too long between times when this happens. When was the last one? At the start of Dickov's tenure?

Like you said, I'm happy to get off SC's back when he cuts out the knee-jerk reactionary crap he's ALWAYS churned out when a bit pissed off.

Thanks Sly and for all those that attended, been interesting to get some direct answers to relevant questions. The answers sound promising, looking forward to tomorrow night

Sorry Prozac I'd missed a page when I wrote that, thanks for that in depth summary

No signing players for the sake of it that I haven’t personally seen. I will delve into their background, social media, are they always out? Do they live breathe football? Are they fit, young, hungry that want to better themselves? I will not sign any player permanently that I haven’t done a serious amount of homework on. If they are right for me, the team and Oldham Athletic they will get a deal, if they are simply another ‘name’ not a chance. With loanees they are a stop gap so it’s different but no player will get a permanent contract at Oldham Athletic without my strict process of due-diligence being carried out. Only when all the boxes are ticked then, only then they get the deal.

For this alone he gets my vote :chubb:

Sounds like he can 'talk the talk' which in truth is quite impressive especially his in depth analysis which is where other lazy managers fail however, talking the talk is one thing, 'walking the walk' is another so i'll reserve judgement for now.

Although to be honest I'm feeling a lot more optimistic about LJ than I was this time yesterday so I'll give him the chance he's obviously earned himself in his interviews, and will be getting down BP tomorrow and hoping to see a different latics in terms of commitment and desire.

Hopefully everyone will get behind him and give him the chance, or they could do a Blackburn and Chelsea and give him grief before a ball is kicked (look where that's getting them!).

Over to you LJ, good luck and I hope you succeed.

No signing players for the sake of it that I haven’t personally seen. I will delve into their background, social media, are they always out? Do they live breathe football? Are they fit, young, hungry that want to better themselves? I will not sign any player permanently that I haven’t done a serious amount of homework on. If they are right for me, the team and Oldham Athletic they will get a deal, if they are simply another ‘name’ not a chance. With loanees they are a stop gap so it’s different but no player will get a permanent contract at Oldham Athletic without my strict process of due-diligence being carried out. Only when all the boxes are ticked then, only then they get the deal.

For this alone he gets my vote :chubb:

if they tick all these boxes there will be better clubs than us after signing them

I can't be the only one that's really looking forward to tomorrow having read Sly and Prozac's comments. Thanks for the info guys btw!

LJ seems focused, he seems like he knows what he wants and I like that. The guy seems like he's prepared to take no stick from the players (possibly quelling the question as to whether he'd be a 'mate' or not) and has the guts to tell them where to stick it if they aren't putting the effort in.

I like it.

I asked him for his honest opinions on what he'd seen in the 6 games he's watched.

He didnt hold back to be fair to him (!). The back passing wasnt mentioned; but every other one of all our recent gripes was. He's observed and he's seen what we've all seen.

He said to win games, you either need to be physically fitter & stronger than your opposition, overload them with pace and players going in behind or you need a player or players who can provide that bit of magic to create something out of nothing. Right now - you we have none of those.

He was pretty forthright.

Given a blank canvas; he'll play a high tempo on the floor overload game; where players aren't in a rigid formation; and they can express themselves. He wants pressure to built up. Crosses into the box, 2nd balls and forcing corners to build momentum of attacks.

He was realistic enough to say that he wont be able to come in and magic up this straight away. But he's seen that there is enough to work with here; and he can make changes that will have an effect.

The most pleasing point was when he was talking to me and Lukers1 at the end. We were quickly talking about the attitude and effort of the players. Lee said something along the lines of ' there's a right and wrong way of losing. To an extent; if you're done by an individual strike then so be it.' But - what he saw on saturday wont happen again; as he wont stand for that type of group effort and performance - the players have been and will be told in no uncertain terms that they will not get away with showing like that again.

For a little lad; he's got that steel. You can see it. I love the fact that he said he'd fine them for wearing moulds in the wrong conditions. If any of the lads have snoods and gloves; i'd chuck them out - he wont stand for them!!

Feeling a lot better after that meet. Still a huge; huge risk of an appoitment considering where we are. But - he's made an impressive start today. He's to a polar opposite display from Saturday's debarcle tomorrow night.

Did anyone ask if he'd been involved in letting Furman go?

I did Harry, it was my second question, Lee didnt, although he was involved in bringing the lad in from Norwich.

My question about Dean was the spark that made good old Simon start to have wobble, what made me laugh was that Simon walked in halfway through Lee's explanation, thought we were being nasty and went on a rant.

I asked him for his honest opinions on what he'd seen in the 6 games he's watched.

He didnt hold back to be fair to him (!). The back passing wasnt mentioned; but every other one of all our recent gripes was. He's observed and he's seen what we've all seen.

He said to win games, you either need to be physically fitter & stronger than your opposition, overload them with pace and players going in behind or you need a player or players who can provide that bit of magic to create something out of nothing. Right now - you we have none of those.

He was pretty forthright.

Given a blank canvas; he'll play a high tempo on the floor overload game; where players aren't in a rigid formation; and they can express themselves. He wants pressure to built up. Crosses into the box, 2nd balls and forcing corners to build momentum of attacks.

He was realistic enough to say that he wont be able to come in and magic up this straight away. But he's seen that there is enough to work with here; and he can make changes that will have an effect.

The most pleasing point was when he was talking to me and Lukers1 at the end. We were quickly talking about the attitude and effort of the players. Lee said something along the lines of ' there's a right and wrong way of losing. To an extent; if you're done by an individual strike then so be it.' But - what he saw on saturday wont happen again; as he wont stand for that type of group effort and performance - the players have been and will be told in no uncertain terms that they will not get away with showing like that again.

For a little lad; he's got that steel. You can see it. I love the fact that he said he'd fine them for wearing moulds in the wrong conditions. If any of the lads have snoods and gloves; i'd chuck them out - he wont stand for them!!

Feeling a lot better after that meet. Still a huge; huge risk of an appoitment considering where we are. But - he's made an impressive start today. He's to a polar opposite display from Saturday's debarcle tomorrow night.

Alright Sly was good to put a face to the name, nice to have met you,