New Loanee?

• Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Good luck to Reid, it'll be interesting to see where he plays on Friday (if he even starts) because it sounded like it would be difficult to replace anyone after the Hartlepool game.

If he isn't brought in to be in the first choice XI then it's still a decent move as we'll need as many bodies as we can get for our busy run in.

As for Mellor and Winchester, I'd be tempted to give them both another 6 months, possibly a full season. Both will be only 20 for the majority of next season and they are likely to come cheap. Both have shown during their time here that they are talented on the ball, Mellor with free-kicks and long range shots last season adding to a very good performance at left back against MK and Winchester with his long range strike against MK the season before and with his tidiness in possession against Liverpool. The big question marks over the two are whether Winchester has the strength and build for our level and with Mellor it is whether he can keep his fitness levels high enough. Judging by how far off the pace he was at Coventry this is unlikely, but I think both players have enough to work with as long as they have the right guidance and opportunities.

LJ clearly has a way in which he sets his teams to play - with tempo and pressing forward. He may well feel that Mellor and Winchester can still play a big part for us but only when they get up to the required levels of fitness which he may currently be beyond them as we try and get to our points target. Of course, he may feel that they're not the kind of players to play this kind of game in which case he'll move them on to ensure that the youth players coming through don't find their way to the first team squad blocked.

Let's not forget that he'll have a plan to finish the season off and another longer term one for next season.

It's the manager's 2nd signing (yes 2nd signing) and already people know better.

Can we please have a little faith as his first one looked pretty good (hard to judge after one game).

Give me a young hungry lad anytime rather than an ageing pro (we have had our fair share of those haven't we?).

As for Winchester and Mellor, they are not good enough IMO.

Welcome to BP Bobby, I hope you do very well.

Could this be a clue that Wes was one of those LJ was getting at when he talked about players lacking fitness? Seems like he ll provide good options across midfield either way

He isn't looking to replace Wes, he has just made him captain.

I think he mean't Croft.

Good luck to Reid, it'll be interesting to see where he plays on Friday (if he even starts) because it sounded like it would be difficult to replace anyone after the Hartlepool game.

If he isn't brought in to be in the first choice XI then it's still a decent move as we'll need as many bodies as we can get for our busy run in.

As for Mellor and Winchester, I'd be tempted to give them both another 6 months, possibly a full season. Both will be only 20 for the majority of next season and they are likely to come cheap. Both have shown during their time here that they are talented on the ball, Mellor with free-kicks and long range shots last season adding to a very good performance at left back against MK and Winchester with his long range strike against MK the season before and with his tidiness in possession against Liverpool. The big question marks over the two are whether Winchester has the strength and build for our level and with Mellor it is whether he can keep his fitness levels high enough. Judging by how far off the pace he was at Coventry this is unlikely, but I think both players have enough to work with as long as they have the right guidance and opportunities.

LJ has said Reid and himself are alike in that they didn't have the power to compete at this level in their youth, this indicates Winchester is in the same bracket and therefore should be retained.

He isn't looking to replace Wes, he has just made him captain.

I think he mean't Croft.

And I would think Smith at least? Usually blowing out of his arse after 60 minutes even on a quieter day,

LJ has said Reid and himself are alike in that they didn't have the power to compete at this level in their youth, this indicates Winchester is in the same bracket and therefore should be retained.

Agree. I read it almost as saying to our young lads that they need to show that they can compete in the next year or so

I agree, Mellor isn't good enough yet but Winchester looks like he's becoming a good centre-midfielder. Winchester has been good this season, especially against Liverpool and looks to have a future ahead of him.

Mellor on the other hand probably suffered from his awful stint at left-back last season. No confidence gained from an unsuccessful spell and hardly any gametime this season looks to have stinted his growth as a player. Shame as he looked to be a good player a few years ago.

Winchester looks like he's been improving and Mellor looks to have gone back a step, that is the difference between the 2.

Awful stint at left back ? Really ? Twice a stint than Paul blacks or diallo's

I'm not at all convinced by Mellor or Winchester but both should have spent extended spells on loan in League Two long ago. This would have been far better for their development than kicking about on the bench at BP and playing reserve team football.

Thankfully, we look to have a new manager who undertands that; whereas PD seemed not too?

Dan Taylor, Mellor, Winchester, Millar, Hughes, Sutherland....Belezika if not fo his injury; all of them should have IMO been planned to have loaned them out earllier in the season at various stages; especially in the stage where we didnt have many reserve games.

LJ said that next season he'd have to consider the development of the young players, and whether that meant staying at the club or going out for a loan or 2.

IMO, Winchester in particular would have benifitted from a loan to L2 or BSP this season instead of stagnating in the reserves and fringes.

Oh - and Millar and Mellor's loan to Chorley was a waste IMO; loan them by all means; but to an appropriate level. It seems LJ will be looking to do that next season.

And - welcome to BP Reid. Young, hungry and fit. He fits the brief for the high tempo; high pressure game plan; and as he plays across the middle positions; provides much needed competiton and sqaud depth. Hope he turns out to be another decent signing, just as Korey Smith looks lije being....

Agree re the loaning out of our younger players. Dale Stephens is a great example of it working well for us.

Deane Smalley - if it weren't for his contract expiring I'd have thought we would have passed him on for a fee after a very good season under Shez in L2.

I'm not at all convinced by Mellor or Winchester but both should have spent extended spells on loan in League Two long ago. This would have been far better for their development than kicking about on the bench at BP and playing reserve team football.

Really not sure that many L2 clubs would be beating down the doors of a struggling L1 outfit looking to borrow kids.

Really not sure that many L2 clubs would be beating down the doors of a struggling L1 outfit looking to borrow kids.

Players for free (or less than their value at any rate) will be popular with lots of clubs. They'd be a lot better off being 1st choice replacements at a League 2 or conference side than being outside of the match day squad here.

Players for free (or less than their value at any rate) will be popular with lots of clubs. They'd be a lot better off being 1st choice replacements at a League 2 or conference side than being outside of the match day squad here.

Don't disagree at all in principle but I just can't see underdeveloped 17 year olds being at the top of a list for clubs close to our level

Had a look at Reid in the first half of this afternoons reserve game and although he showed a few tricks on the ball I wondered if physically he will be suited to the hurly burly of Division One football.

He's quite neat and tidy on the ball with good close control, but some of his distribution was wayward, maybe that was down to a lively

ball and a bitterly cold wind as many others seemed to be affected.

Very impressed with centre back Glenn Belezika who was a man mountain alongside the steady Cliff Byrne.

Montano was ok in fits and starts, the rest just average.

Half time score; 0-0, had enough went home.

Edited by BP1960