219 members have voted

1. 1. Should Latics hold a minute's silence for Maggie

• Yes
    • No

• Replies 230
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

No , it would not be respected by some people I imagine.

The problem is some people did very well under her government .... others did not.

Mind a lot of our crowd are very young , and I doubt most of them will know anything about the Winter of Discontent , Poll Tax Riots , Hunger Strikers , Privatisation of nationalised industries , miners strike etc etc.

Her family deserve to mourn their mother without the possible images of cheering crowds at football and elsewhere

I would think that even the biggest supporter of Margaret Thatcher has to admit that she had no love of football.

The push for ID cards alone was a poor way of trying to deal with the hooligan problem.

Regardless of your view of her achievements or otherwise, football grounds are not the place to show respect to her. That's before you consider the likely response of a not insignificant number of fans at any ground.

She will have her funeral. Parliament will sit. People can pay their respects in other ways. Football should carry on without acknowledging the event. I'm sure she wouldn't care.

A minutes silence for Margaret Thatcher, no. A minutes silence for the anniversary of Hillsborough, yes.

We should never forget Hillsborough. It is an event that, even though I wasn't there, has marked me deeply forever.

I don't think the 24th anniversary of that dreadful day should be marked up and down the country though. Liverpool FC should do their own thing for it. Bury v Oldham really isn't the place for it.

I'm not averse to something next year. 25 years is a key landmark. The football fan should never forget this one.

Edited by opinions4u

I would think that even the biggest supporter of Margaret Thatcher has to admit that she had no love of football.

The push for ID cards alone was a poor way of trying to deal with the hooligan problem.

Regardless of your view of her achievements or otherwise, football grounds are not the place to show respect to her. That's before you consider the likely response of a not insignificant number of fans at any ground.

She will have her funeral. Parliament will sit. People can pay their respects in other ways. Football should carry on without acknowledging the event. I'm sure she wouldn't care.

The queues outside town halls up and down the country to sign books of condolence are amazing.

I was about to send flowers, but the Thatcher family (the gun-running fraudster and the racist) said they didn't want them. Fair enough I reckon. Each to their own.

A state funeral would be an insult to her. She'd have loved nothing more than a privatised funeral.

In the same way that a minute's silence at a football ground would be something she'd despise, she'd probably like to be booed as it would make football fans look worse, something she always wanted.

Edited by NewBlue

Why Hillsborough if not Bradford, Ibrox, Burnden Park?

Because the Hillsborough anniversary is on Monday, wouldn't have a problem commemorating the others. Although Bradford would be problematic as the season has often finished by then.

If me or you die would we get one.... No! All the more reason why she shouldn't is the football ID card idea. I don't understand the idea you can talk bad of her when she is alive but don't when she has died. Id rather we all went in Liverpool shirts as a mark of respect to the 96 over her and I really don't like Liverpool