• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Mellor on the left Wing?! Haven't heard anything so rubbish! The lad is a very good and calming def mid who can pass a ball and doesn't mind a tackle! Def not a winger! Baxter would be sat on the bench for me when he plays on the left he drifts inside and has been very average since he signed that new deal.

Simpson was good tonight, physical and aggressive in a way that Baxter wouldn't be. Plus, last year he was our best player until we pushed him wide left from where the whole team struggled. We should learn from that.

By the way, I do realise that those two elements are counter-intuitive, but I would suggest that of late he has put a much better shift in wide left than he did last year...

IF we put Baxter back in then it would have to be in place of Barnard, to try and drop off to playmake and get the ball wide for balls into Smith. It could work, but that is the only change I could see from tonight.

Can't help thinking we would have lost tonight if the Baxter that doesn't track back was playing. To have a midfield player who can find and make passes is something we have missed all season - the Mellor from the end of last season was back and his free kick lead to the corner which gave Smith the chance to score against a team that was on the rack.

The team, at last, fought and defended and that was why we won - a clean sheet! Simpson had a better game and although Barnard spent too much time moaning rather than getting on with it he was having to repeatedly run the length of the pitch so I can forgive him his poor display as a striker

He's on the bench for me, you don't change a winning team. Maximum back to back points and consecutive clean sheets is not to be sniffed at.

Exactly. Thought we were very good tonight. Nobody deserves to be benched to accomodate Baxter. Can't believe some of the suggestions that David Mellor should make way for him after the way he played tonight.

Exactly. Thought we were very good tonight. Nobody deserves to be benched to accomodate Baxter. Can't believe some of the suggestions that David Mellor should make way for him after the way he played tonight.

Spot on BTS.

Like I have said various times, I am not Simpson's biggest fan but he actually wanted it tonight (he was :censored:e on Saturday IMO).

However we have been struggling, then Baxter is out and we get 6 from 6.

We can't change the team IMO.

Millar is playing his nuts off and can't break into the starting team, what message would it give him if Baxter walked straight back in?

1.) This team beat a team in the play-offs and no one had a bad game.

2.) Baxter got 10 yellow cards, wouldn't mind betting most were for stupid stuff or daft fouls.

3.) He tires easily, would love to see him come on as an impact sub.

Stays on the bench for me, but can see how he goes straight back in.

Can't believe some are suggesting that Mellor should be dropped for Baxter.

Croft apart, Mellor was the best man on the pitch tonight, some of his passing and switching of play was brilliant and reminded me of a young John Sheridan.

Only change i'd make would be Millar in for Barnard.

Baxter on the bench please LJ!

So let me get it right.

You didn't attend the match but you are saying who Baxter should replace?

Unbe:censored:ingleivable!

Yeah because he's a better player than Simpson and hasn't been absolutely atrocious for 99.99% of the season. it's just logic, get on my level.

All of a sudden in seems as we though we have strength in depth (except perhaps centre half) and LJ talks about plan A's, B's and C's. Confidence breads confidence and it would be a mistake to change the starting eleven for Saturday and drop any of the young lads who have played so well in the last couple of games. In fact, we held our shape much better tonight, which might not have been the case if Baxter had played. Don't get me wrong, I think Baxter is class but he is prone to drifting in and out of games. We should certainly introduce him at some stage. What a nice option to have.

I wouldnt put Mellor wide left. Just because he is left footed doesn't mean he should be shoehorned into that position; in the same way that just because he has left foot; doesn't mean he should've been thrown in at Left Back under PD.

He's a central midfielder. That's where he should be playing.

If Baxter is to come straight back in - then really the only 2 options to drop are either Barnard or Simpson for me; and after last night; I wouldnt bench either of them.

I take the view that you should change a winning team. If you can improve it.

The tough question is fitting Baxter in there in a way that improves it.

A real problem you have with a "luxury" player is that it can weaken other parts of the team.

Me? I'd love Baxter back in the team.

Baxter played out left at Preston and was completely excluded from the game. Although he did manage to create a couple if chances for himself he was wasted. If Matt smith was struggling after 65 swap smith or Baxter and replace Barnard after 60 mind and bring smith on? Or start with smith for Barnard and swap them at 60

I love the fact we are all potential managers.

I am confident LJ will get us 3 points on sat.

dont care who plays as long as they graft.

personally we look alot more solid in def and mid so baxter bench for me.

however LJ might alter the team to exploit any crawley weaknesses.