PITCH ENCROACHMENT AND DAMAGE

It frustrates me every season but I'm not sure exactly what people think the stewards should do. They make it clear by standing there that it is not permissible to run on the pitch. There were also announcements in the ground, on the website, through social media and in the local press in the days running up to the game. If people (be they ten or seventy years old) choose to ignore the warnings the stewards are in a no win position. If they physically stop people they risk ending up in court.

Sadly this is the blame culture we live with these days. Kid is told he can't go on pitch, steward blocks kid's way as he tries to get on anyway, kid falls over, kid's parent sues club and steward.

Only sollution is a lot of stewards, one next to another forming a wall in front of the stand.

Club won't pay for that, but unfortunately have to pay the fine now, if we do get one.

• Replies 261
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Agree with that, but I really think it needs to be managed throughout the season. Those kids that go there purely for aggro with stewards and away fans are no loss. There's no point expecting them to behave on the final day when they've been been bigging themselves up about being bad boys for the rest of the year

Correct, most of them spend the game sideways on, goading the oppositions fans. I'm not even sure they see much of the match.

As you say, no great loss. I hope we have managed to keep hold of some new supporters though, I don't want to tar all the youngsters with the same brush. There are plenty who are a credit to their parents and our club.

I don't understand what's wrong with going on the pitch at the end of the season?

Once the final whistle has gone I personally see it as fine. I did it when I was younger, I wouldn't do it now, but if someone wanted to go on, be they 10 or 100, then let them. Humans tend to feel very :censored:ing excited after an entire football season of anticipation watching Latics. It's our club: go and enjoy it!

It's not even like it's just an Oldham thing: clubs from all over the world do it, never mind just Oldham. In 20 years time, I bet any money that standing up at matches will face these sort of problems.

The Crawley coach thing though is ridiculous. Ban the lot. Were any pictures of it posted on Twitter or FB?

Edited by GuyGermanLatic

Complete with stewards welding cattle prods reinforced with me brandishing a branding iron.

I was thinking of landmines but today's do good squad would have fits lol

If we had you two in charge of the stewarding and police, and Help Shiny as Judge, there would be no trouble. But then there would be 5000 extra people digging salt in Siberia ;)

If we had you two in charge of the stewarding and police, and Help Shiny as Judge, there would be no trouble. But then there would be 5000 extra people digging salt in Siberia ;)

I was thinking more opencast mining as per American chain gangs.

Too many of the fans in the middle block of the RRE seem more interested in directing abuse at the away section! I sit in the Chaddy and when we score, loads of our lot just seem intent on running at the barrier piling up on each other to shout abuse instead of celebrating the goal with their fellow fans. I'll admit, when I was younger, I was guilty of this a few times but it only happened in games where there had been a lot of animosity between the 2 sets of supporters beforehand and when it was a bit feisty on the pitch. Today was not one of those games. To be honest, we haven't had many of those types of games for quite some time.

I think that the 10 quid season ticket has added to this issue because the majority of the scrotes responsible would never have paid 50 quid for a season ticket.

That's it Barry you and the board go for the knee jerk reaction why don't you ban all kids from going to the game and ban all supporters from enjoying themselves (although they appear to have been trying that all year to be honest) i don't condone any of it especially the attacking of the coach but rather than deal with the problem directly (maybe take a look at your stewarding?????) you will look at removing the one decent initiative the club has come up with in years doesn't surprise me one bit to be honest and would just be typical of the way this stagnating is club is managed. Dont patronise us with "other than that excellent support" the crowd was like a morgue all day until the goal and although far too over exuberant at least it showed a passion from them. There wont be a club in the football league that wont have some form of pitch invasion at the end of the season and if the old farts at the football league want to throw the book at every club then they are as deluded as this board in reconsidering the season ticket deal..

To be fair, I'm not always a massive fan of Barry and his sometimes, seemingly knee jerk rants, but I have no problems with anything he has said there.

I imagine the 'end of season' pitch invasion is expected and isn't really the main issue here - it's the fact that it's happened on Tuesday when there was no need, given that we could still have been relegated and today it happened while the game was still in progress.

It was embarrassing and not in the least bit justified. Unfortunately the vast majority, if not all on the pitch after M'Voto's winner were kids, no doubt the same kids that are there without parents on £10 season tickets.

If the club do decide (and I'm sure any decision won't be taken lightly) to remove the £10 season tickets, it will impact on my son, well, me! However if the club feel it is the only way to stop these idiots who turn up on a Saturday because their parents have bought them season tickets to get them out of the house on a Saturday afternoon, from ruining the 'match day experience' then I'm sure it will be a case where the club feel like there is absolutely no alternative.

I feel Barry and the rest of the board will not be able to do right for doing wrong here, although stewards that actually grab hold of people and cart them out if they attempt to enter the pitch would be a start!!!!!

oh well a small minority of fans in the rocky road causing trouble as given the board a perfect excuse to cancel a offer for kids as others said it appears a decision had already been made anyway..shame my daughter was enjoying going with her friends with tickets i had bought she did not invade the pitch but i can't afford to pay much more for two tickets, shame for my son's teammates who have got more into latics this year but won't probably be able to go next year they did not invade the pitch, shame for all the local junior football teams who had given their kids season tickets who won't be able to afford that next year i bet the majority of them did not invade the pitch but on the bright side the club think they have got rid of the problem so will no doubt be delighted with their decision even though i guarantee you next season just like the previous 30 years of watching Latics there will be a pitch invasions at the last game.

If it reverts to £50 again I have no issue but nurture the young fans 99% of those dickheads that invaded today won't be at orient my 9 year old will be, like she was at Portsmouth etc... Nurture her passion not alienate her....

Were the £10 season tickets available to any kid that happened to turn up at the ticket office with a tenner in their pocket?? If so, maybe the way round this is to only allow £10 / cheap season tickets to kids that buy with an adult?? Then kids like yours and mine and many others don't get punished for the bad behaviour of others.

To be fair, I'm not always a massive fan of Barry and his sometimes, seemingly knee jerk rants, but I have no problems with anything he has said there.

I imagine the 'end of season' pitch invasion is expected and isn't really the main issue here - it's the fact that it's happened on Tuesday when there was no need, given that we could still have been relegated and today it happened while the game was still in progress.

It was embarrassing and not in the least bit justified. Unfortunately the vast majority, if not all on the pitch after M'Voto's winner were kids, no doubt the same kids that are there without parents on £10 season tickets.

If the club do decide (and I'm sure any decision won't be taken lightly) to remove the £10 season tickets, it will impact on my son, well, me! However if the club feel it is the only way to stop these idiots who turn up on a Saturday because their parents have bought them season tickets to get them out of the house on a Saturday afternoon, from ruining the 'match day experience' then I'm sure it will be a case where the club feel like there is absolutely no alternative.

I feel Barry and the rest of the board will not be able to do right for doing wrong here, although stewards that actually grab hold of people and cart them out if they attempt to enter the pitch would be a start!!!!!

i agree with a lot you have said there but it backs my point with dealing with the troublemakers and not punishing everyone i congratulated the club on a really generous offer with the £10 season ticket but to keep these supporters they really need to sustain it for a couple of years at least. A one season wonder doesn't work especially with as bad a season we have had and i really feel they are using the incidents as a excuse to dump the deal

oh well a small minority of fans in the rocky road causing trouble as given the board a perfect excuse to cancel a offer for kids as others said it appears a decision had already been made anyway..shame my daughter was enjoying going with her friends with tickets i had bought she did not invade the pitch but i can't afford to pay much more for two tickets, shame for my son's teammates who have got more into latics this year but won't probably be able to go next year they did not invade the pitch, shame for all the local junior football teams who had given their kids season tickets who won't be able to afford that next year i bet the majority of them did not invade the pitch but on the bright side the club think they have got rid of the problem so will no doubt be delighted with their decision even though i guarantee you next season just like the previous 30 years of watching Latics there will be a pitch invasions at the last game.

Not during the game though.

Like a previous poster said, all of a sudden the £10 offer isn't seen as a gimmick but as an entitlement. I'm sorry, but if you think that £2 a game for watching league football isn't a good incentive then you are deluded

:Please look out on the official site for the club announcement that I have prepared with the Chief Executive.

The referee has no alternative but to include this invasion in his match report that is likely (after a similiar event on Tuesday) to land us with a fine by the FA.

The club will also review footage of CCTV imagines and consider appropriate action against those who do our club no favours.

Subsequently the Board of Directors will be looking into a range of issues regarding youth members in particular the £10 ticket.

More upsettting is the news that the Crawley Supporters Coach was attacked by persons and we await the police report in that respect.

With regard to the encroachment, any fine we receive is likely to be substancial.

Other than that chaps well done for your fantastic support today.

Barry

Barry, as with everyone else I was appalled at the scenes following the goal. But I have to say, it initially looked like stewards had everything under control by blocking the isles, but then when the goal went in they simply allowed the fans to pass then without challenge.

A review of the stewarding is what's required!

Too many of the fans in the middle block of the RRE seem more interested in directing abuse at the away section! I sit in the Chaddy and when we score, loads of our lot just seem intent on running at the barrier piling up on each other to shout abuse instead of celebrating the goal with their fellow fans. I'll admit, when I was younger, I was guilty of this a few times but it only happened in games where there had been a lot of animosity between the 2 sets of supporters beforehand and when it was a bit feisty on the pitch. Today was not one of those games. To be honest, we haven't had many of those types of games for quite some time.

I think that the 10 quid season ticket has added to this issue because the majority of the scrotes responsible would never have paid 50 quid for a season ticket.

yeah,lets :censored: off all the young £10 season ticket holders and have no future fans!!WTF...

Barry, as with everyone else I was appalled at the scenes following the goal. But I have to say, it initially looked like stewards had everything under control by blocking the isles, but then when the goal went in they simply allowed the fans to pass then without challenge.

A review of the stewarding is what's required!

Blocking at each level probably to prevent an increased crush, but stopping people getting onto the stairs themselves would be key. It should all be stuff they know about and can do

I don't understand what's wrong with going on the pitch at the end of the season?

Neither do I, notwithstanding the law of the land.

BUT THE SEASON HADN'T ENDED WHEN THESE ARSEHOLES ACTED.

Once the final whistle has gone I personally see it as fine. I did it when I was younger, I wouldn't do it now, but if someone wanted to go on, be they 10 or 100, then let them. Humans tend to feel very :censored:ing excited after an entire football season of anticipation watching Latics. It's our club: go and enjoy it!

And the final whistle hadn't gone.

It was an indefensible and moronic situation.

Totally agree with this, when I was younger,so much younger than today, I never needed any.....sorry digressed......anyway, I used to sit in the Broadway Paddock, giv it th biggun to away fans and walk the long way round after the game in fear of getting battered, but like you say it was only when we played the Tranmere's, Swansea, Huddersfield's etc but I wouldn't abuse the Yeovils, Crawleys etc and smash the coaches etc...WTF, and if this coach issue is true they want a good smacking, and that pitch "invasion" oday embarraced me, these kids need a reality check, no respect for their elders, for authority, for their friends or for themselves, and after hearing the stories about the scrotes throwing drinks etc in the Chaddy, they deserve a slap for that.