Manchester North End... Just out of interest

196 members have voted

1. 1. Would you support a merger between Rochdale, Bury and Oldham?

• No way, ever
    • I couldn't support them like Latics but I'd attend the odd game, see what it's all about
    • I'd watch them regularly
    • Other

I wouldn't want a merger to happen, but if it did I'd probably support them at the start and see how things go. I have no affection for any other club, so can't see myself choosing another team. I enjoy live football though so for me it would have to be the new club. Like I said though I wouldn't want it to happen.

I think this will always look attractive on paper from the accountants / business point of view. But football is a game of the heart, not the head, and an initiative like this would inevitably end in failure.

Ground sharing is tough one. Location for three different geographically based teams will inevitably mean that it impacts of people of at least 2 if not all 3 clubs - middle of nowhere, not really our stadium etc. Lets be honest, even in Liverpool where is makes sense to share one nice shiny new ground, and they are located a stones throw from each other and they cannot make it work.

The ideal of a local group of teams trying to combine some aspects of administration (training facilities, transport contracts, kit deals, even website / ticket management) make some sense and could work out OK.

You never say never in football, and at some point this - or some equally crackpot idea elsewhere - might take place and we will see what happens. MK Dons - whilst hated by a lot of football fans - are a relatively successful League One side in a nice stadium, with a marginally growing support. Madness sometimes happens.

If it did - I am nor sure what I'd do. My head at the moment says, probably give up on regular live football and do other things with my life. Maybe go and watch the odd local game of a team that is in good form and playing nice football.

However, who knows how I would feel at the time. If I wanted the regular local football team that I care about, then following another team would in some ways feel wrong (they would have been the opposition at some stage). Packaged rightly, with the right momentum at the start and a chance to follow a team with no prior associations (negative ones).....you never know. But I think that if I, or others, did find themselves doing this - it would be a minority and not the majority.

The final alternative would be to support a reformed team in the lower depths of the football pyramid. Not sure that I could be bothered to be honest. The standard of football on show in League One is bad enough at times, not sure I could face total dross for a decade whilst a team attempted to get back to the same level as Latics now.

the new club would be very poorly supported - and 80% of those that did would come from whichever of the three towns the new club played in - unless someone came in with oodles of money and took them up and up. That would attract new fans - like all the Wigan,Swansea,Cardiff fans who have appeared, as if by magic, in modern times.The chances of someone coming along with oodles and oodles of money are slim so probably best to discount that possibility.

As for the current fans the large majority would either jack it in or support one of the inevitable 3 new clubs in the NW Counties League. I'd throw my lot in with the new non league Oldham and would have some sort of relationship with the merged club only if they played in Oldham.

A good idea would be for Bury & Rochdale to sell everything they've got, merge with us and play at Boundary Park. In a few years we change the name back to Oldham Athletic.

edit - I've also remembered from the first time this idea floated was that the Football League would insist on the merged club playing in the division of the lowest ranked club. Anyone fancy merging AND becoming a League 2 club?

Edited by help_shiny

Devils advocate (please don't throw stones) :omg:

If we got a brand new main stand out of it, ensuring that Boundary park would be forever the teams stadium. If we kept the blue shirt, kept the main name OLDHAM in the new name then it would NOT be the end of the world. But then why the heck would Rochdale sign up for that?

P.s. Was this merger idea the reason Scott had to quit as Chairman?

Me too. exactly the same. Would be my local team to here, but same principle.

Although I suspect there may be a phoenix club if that happened, which I would probably support.

I can understand training facilities sharing, but doubt things like marketing, who ever took it on would be more inclined to favour their own team first.

Lets hope that with our new development that they come to us rather than the other way round. Can;t se the benefits of Bury trekking all the way to Oldham for training though.

Logic would say Rochdale is in the middle of the 3 towns so most "logical" (Logistically) would be most based there. Which would hasten our demise further IMHO.

I am suprised though, that a local buying consortium is not created for things like the Catering contract, energy, mobile phones, stationery, certain admin, phone answering, printing costs, maybe even ticketing,. A bit like some local councils are doing. Think there is an opportunity there.

The idea of outsourcing some of the back office stuff such as admin, accounts, and marketing may make sense to all 3 clubs interms of reducing overheads. With regards to training facilities if we could build a facility that allows us to share and is better than what we have and allows us to share the costs that again would be fine if the economics are in our favour.

The idea of merging is a non starter due to the nature of football fans.

• 1 month later...