Barnsley v Huddersfield - is this cheating?

Is this cheating?  

93 members have voted

1. 1. No. I'd expect Latics to do the same in a similar situation.

• Yes. It would be wrong if Latics were relegated because two teams refused to compete
    • No. I'd expect Latics to do the same to guarantee survival.
  2. 2. If yes, what penalty should be applied?

• Nothing. But the rules should be changed.
    • Deduct the point both sides gained and relegate Barnsley.
    • Just fine both sides.
    • Relegate both sides.
    • I voted "no" - so there.

A minute of video.

The score is 1-1 and both sides stay up if it remains the same.

If Huddersfield score Barnsley are relegated.

Peterborough were relegated.

I'd suggest a fine and a deduction of 1 point from both teams is appropriate.

Edited by opinions4u

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I've pondered it for a bit.

I've tried to look at it from the point of view of my team gaining or losing out from it. I've tried to convince myself that it's no different to trying to keep the ball in the corner flag. But it isn't.

For me it totally undermines the meaning of sport. More so than just about anything else I can think of (squad rotation, weakened side for League Cup etc).

So it boils down to a choice of two punishments. I went for deduct the point both sides gained, which would relegate Barnsley.

Perhaps they should take a more Olympian view and chuck them out of the Football League altogether!

Nowt wrong with it. I would demand our lot do the same. The aim of sport should be to compete. That WAS competing - against Peterborough. It was tactical. If Peterborough don't like it, thry shouldn't have lost.

I agree and chose the same options. The game exists as a competitive sport. Those two didn't even try to make it look like they were interested in making a game of the last couple of minutes. It's embarrassing. I'd be furious if I was a Posh fan.

Why can't I vote - nothing wrong with it, whatsoever?

It says I have to vote in each section and all of section B says "its wrong" - I dissagree, I applaud it. Dog eat Dog. Tough tits to Peterborough.

Why can't I vote - nothing wrong with it, whatsoever?

It says I have to vote in each section and all of section B says "its wrong" - I dissagree, I applaud it. Dog eat Dog. Tough tits to Peterborough.

Adjusted. There's probably a smarter way I could have done it but I'm off for my Swedish breakfast now!

Is it within the rules of the game? If so, nothing wrong. The important thing is that it shouldn't be.

Edit - Is this not effectively match fixing?

Blatant time wasting, but who gets booked or penalised, the keeper could claim he was looking for a unmarked player, no attempt was made to hurry him, referee's are bad enough without having to decide who is at fault.

Competitors were thrown out of London 2012 for similar acts of 'non-competing' - whilst Wolves were goners, I'd make both teams forfeit the point they gained from the game, thus relegating Barnsley…..

Edited by oafcprozac

Clubs could lose points for players not competing? A lot of the performances from our lot this season would have caused us to be relegated weeks ago.

The worst example of this was the West Germany v Austria world cup group game. A draw saw Austria safely through so the whole 90 minutes was played in the Huddersfield Barnsley end of game style.

It would have been different if they had played out the whole game for a 0-0 draw, but Huddersfield and Barnsley had fought out a 2-2 draw, during which both of them had been in a relegation place, while Peterborough threw away their safe position. Nothing wrong with hanging on to what they'd both earned, so ensuring Yorkshire derby games next season, and a trouble-free end of season send-off.

Apart from the football ramifications, what about entertainment? Punters have paid to see a football match, I could understand if a neutral at that match felt short changed. Even if they haven't broken any laws of the game, the authorities must have an angle to punish them from that perspective.

As much as I'd be absolutely fuming as a Peterborough fan and as a fan myself I wanted Barnsley or Huddersfield to be relegated, it complies by the rules. It's just like running to the corner flag at the end of the game to protect the ball and waste time really but nothing is ever said about that, just the time-wasting was mutually beneficial to both teams and the game was of such importance.

The 'cheating' part of the game I'd rather they focused on is diving. Sort that problem out, maybe respect the referees like they do in Rugby League and the game would be better for it.

Edited by NewBlue

The keeper did nowt wrong. He kept possession. The ball was still in play. Not his fault no one challanged him. Keeping it in the corner flag is worse for me. As for the strikers not closing down the keeper we see that most weeks at BP. Should a team who are 4-0 up be punished for not closing down the keeper in the last minute? If not then no difference yesterday. As for value for money. Them fans seemed to be quite pleased with what they saw.

Fuss out of nothing

A minute of video.

The score is 1-1 and both sides stay up if it remains the same.

If Huddersfield score Barnsley are relegated.

Peterborough were relegated.

I'd suggest a fine and a deduction of 1 point from both teams is appropriate.

Sorry but I'd suggest that is taking sanctimony to a whole new level.