Barnsley v Huddersfield - is this cheating?

Is this cheating?  

93 members have voted

1. 1. No. I'd expect Latics to do the same in a similar situation.

• Yes. It would be wrong if Latics were relegated because two teams refused to compete
    • No. I'd expect Latics to do the same to guarantee survival.
  2. 2. If yes, what penalty should be applied?

• Nothing. But the rules should be changed.
    • Deduct the point both sides gained and relegate Barnsley.
    • Just fine both sides.
    • Relegate both sides.
    • I voted "no" - so there.

Many would think differently if Latics were in Peterborough's position ?

I agree, of course we would, but the bare facts mean there was no rule broken, if you have to rely on other games to keep yourselves up then you are the makers of your own misfortune.

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Would they really? I wouldn't. I'd be thinking it was our own fault in being in that position and then for conceding a last minute goal. I wouldn't be thinking that other clubs in precarious positions should be going all out for a winner. May as well debate keeping the ball at the corner flag.

I agree, of course we would, but the bare facts mean there was no rule broken, if you have to rely on other games to keep yourselves up then you are the makers of your own misfortune.

This, all the teams yesterday went in to their games knowing their future was in their own hands.

Peterborough failed to beat Palace, whilst Huddersfield and Barnsley played out a draw - all's fair.

This may be an apposite moment to remember City running the ball into the corner when they needed a goal. Always brightens my day to think of it :laught30:

Should Denis Law have shot wide instead of scoring against Manchester United in 1974 ?

LL has it above. Tough titties

Peterborough should have won more games if they wanted to stay up.

HUdds & Barnsley had just thrashed the living :censored:e out of each other for 90mins, I dont for one minute begrudge them playing out the last couple of added on mintues in that manner. Fair play really.

The arguement that if it were us and blah blah blah doesnt really wash with me either; the last 2 Mins of added on time over a full season should show the damage was done; rather than a keepr messing with the ball at his feet

A minute of video.

The score is 1-1 and both sides stay up if it remains the same.

If Huddersfield score Barnsley are relegated.

Peterborough were relegated.

I'd suggest a fine and a deduction of 1 point from both teams is appropriate.

This is so wrong, absolute joke!.....what happened to fair play and the spirit of the game?

I'd feel the same if it was us too.

So where's the line drawn? Let's say both teams had known at kick-off that a draw would keep them both up, which is sometimes the case, and they'd tapped the ball a yard from the centre circle from kick off and then all stood still for 45 mins, then repeated for the second half. Would that still just be tough titties?

Any comparison to running it to the corner flag are a nonsense; that's done to keep the ball from the other team on the pitch, who are trying to win it back and therefore both teams are competing in one way or another.

So where's the line drawn? Let's say both teams had known at kick-off that a draw would keep them both up, which is sometimes the case, and they'd tapped the ball a yard from the centre circle from kick off and then all stood still for 45 mins, then repeated for the second half. Would that still just be tough titties?

Any comparison to running it to the corner flag are a nonsense; that's done to keep the ball from the other team on the pitch, who are trying to win it back and therefore both teams are competing in one way or another.

This ^

I don't understand comparisons to keeping possession or even running the ball to the corner. If they had carried on playing with neither team making a serious attempt to attack, then I would agree with the tough titty attitude. The fact is they simply stopped playing, as Stevie points out, where do you draw the line before taking action: two minutes, ten, twenty, ninety?

Whilst I don't think that there is any need for anything like a points deduction, I think it needs to be made clear that this is unacceptable and future occurrences will be dealt with. Otherwise a dangerous precedent will have been set.

Yes it would be tough titties because we shouldn't have got ourselves in that position in the previous 45 games to ensure that we required another result to go our way.

In 1991 we required Notts county to beat West Ham to win the league tittle

In 1993 we required Arsenal to beat Crystal Palace to stay in the PL

In 1999 we required Man city to beat York city? to stay in league 1

However had those results gone against us it would have been our own fault things didn't turn out the way we would like due to what went on over the course of the whole season.

The moral of the story is don't rely on others to do you favours sometimes you get them and its a bonus but if Peterborough had held onto their lead at Palace that would have been enough to have kept them up and we wouldn't be having this debate.

Yes it would although that's not what happened though is it? The game was a 2-2 draw with all the competitiveness that the scoreline suggests.

Also, where do you think the line should be drawn? Should teams ensure that the ball spends so much time in the opposition half? Should the referee have instructed the Huddersfield forwards to press and risk letting a goal in? Should there be a maximum number of defenders on the pitch? The FL have already addressed the issue by making the final games kick off at the same time. This final minute didn't have anything to do with sending Peterborough down - their own 46 matches did.

Yes it would although that's not what happened though is it? The game was a 2-2 draw with all the competitiveness that the scoreline suggests.

Also, where do you think the line should be drawn? Should teams ensure that the ball spends so much time in the opposition half? Should the referee have instructed the Huddersfield forwards to press and risk letting a goal in? Should there be a maximum number of defenders on the pitch? The FL have already addressed the issue by making the final games kick off at the same time. This final minute didn't have anything to do with sending Peterborough down - their own 46 matches did.

You agree ninety minutes of refusing to compete is unacceptable, but find a couple of minutes okay. So where would you draw the line?

It's all about percentages. If Peterborough had fallen behind in the very first minute I doubt Hudds/Barnsley would have stopped "competing" for 89 minutes (or until Peterborough equalised). They "competed" until news fed through that the scoreline as it stood would suffice for both teams - knowing that the likelihood of Peterborough equalising was either slim or non-existent.

The line, as it were, is simply a judgment based on common sense.

It's all about percentages. If Peterborough had fallen behind in the very first minute I doubt Hudds/Barnsley would have stopped "competing" for 89 minutes (or until Peterborough equalised). They "competed" until news fed through that the scoreline as it stood would suffice for both teams - knowing that the likelihood of Peterborough equalising was either slim or non-existent.

The line, as it were, is simply a judgment based on common sense.

So if Posh were 6-0 down with 2 men sent off at half time it would be okay to do it for the entire second half.

On SkySportsNews every week they have a small section where they feature a past referee who analyses the most controversial decisions of the weekend. The ex-ref this week got onto the Huddersfield v Barnsley goalkeeper time-wasting topic and his words were:

"The ball was in play, he can do that all afternoon if he wishes, it's up to Huddersfield to take the ball off him it's entirely their choice. Whilst the ball is in play he's doing nothing wrong. The referee can encourage the players to play. You can't time-waste when the ball is in play. Strictly within the laws of the game it's fine."

If I was in the footballing authorities I'd change the ruling to avoid it, it doesn't look good for the game, is unfair on Peterborough and with the morals of the game under scrutiny at the moment it's another show of ungentlemanly/unsportsmanlike conduct however as a fan I'd wish my team to do the same thing if necessary until the rules were modified.

You agree ninety minutes of refusing to compete is unacceptable, but find a couple of minutes okay. So where would you draw the line?

I don't necessarily think that ninety minutes of refusing to compete is unacceptable, just pointing out that it wasn't what actually happened. If the team and their coaches decide that it's in the best interests of their club not to compete, so be it - in the same way that a team can be set up to be ultra-defensive. The risks they take are that events elsewhere may still go against them and the paying public don't like it. In this case, the latter doesn't seem to be an issue.

i think people are forgetting that this happened to Barry Fry and Darren Ferguson. Couldn't happen to nicer blokes. Well done Huddersfield and Barnsley.

A fair point, well made.

We should also bear in mind that if this law change was in place a few years ago we would have been deprived of the Dave Penney season.

I dont think we would. If we did we would just be clutching at straws to pass the buck instead of facing upto the fact we just werent good enough. The fact peterborough couldnt even stick to there end of the bargain by getting a point after being twice in front just shows its all there own fault and whatever happened at anyone of the other 12 games that day was totally.irelavent

This ^

I don't understand comparisons to keeping possession or even running the ball to the corner. If they had carried on playing with neither team making a serious attempt to attack, then I would agree with the tough titty attitude. The fact is they simply stopped playing, as Stevie points out, where do you draw the line before taking action: two minutes, ten, twenty, ninety?

Whilst I don't think that there is any need for anything like a points deduction, I think it needs to be made clear that this is unacceptable and future occurrences will be dealt with. Otherwise a dangerous precedent will have been set.

In what way was the goal keeper not keeping possesion?