Barnsley v Huddersfield - is this cheating?

Is this cheating?  

93 members have voted

1. 1. No. I'd expect Latics to do the same in a similar situation.

• Yes. It would be wrong if Latics were relegated because two teams refused to compete
    • No. I'd expect Latics to do the same to guarantee survival.
  2. 2. If yes, what penalty should be applied?

• Nothing. But the rules should be changed.
    • Deduct the point both sides gained and relegate Barnsley.
    • Just fine both sides.
    • Relegate both sides.
    • I voted "no" - so there.

Nothing wrong with it, they're saving themselves. Peterborough knew that of they lost and Hudds/Barnsley drew they'd be down.

There was a Barnsley fan on 5Live talking to Flitcroft basically in tears that they stayed up. I'm sure that stadium would have been a lot more hostile if someone had clattered the keeper or scored.

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It pushes tactics to the limits of what's right and wrong but it's not cheating. What would've been great would be for Posh to go and score after that and relegate Barnsley!

As much as I'd be absolutely fuming as a Peterborough fan and as a fan myself I wanted Barnsley or Huddersfield to be relegated, it complies by the rules. It's just like running to the corner flag at the end of the game to protect the ball and waste time really but nothing is ever said about that, just the time-wasting was mutually beneficial to both teams and the game was of such importance.

Recently this has been done, whenever a team has the ball in the corner for what seems like longer than 5 seconds the other team gets a free kick.

As far as I can tell they did not break any rule. It would be a different matter if they had agreed in advance to draw the game but they didn't. They competed and then did the equivalent of holding the ball up in the corner to see out the match. Had we been in the same situation I would expect and want our team to do the same.

If you judge it from a Peterborough point of view it's wrong, but you can't. That's why victims of a crime don't choose the sentence, you have to be objective. Both sides played out a blinder, a 2-2 draw is value for money. They found out Peterborough had thrown away 2 leads and gone behind to a Palace side who were on a terrible run, if Barnsley go for the winner and caught on the break they go down. If Huddersfield's back makes a mistake, they go down.

Nowt wrong with it at all

Peterborough were relegated based on the 46 games they played in not the injury time at the Galpharm involving 2 different teams, besides even if huddersfield had gone for the winat the end theirs no guarantee they would have scored.

1.) Peterborough's game finished after this one, if the Posh had scored it looks very stupid, especially for Barnsley.

2.) It's 2-2, both teams had given loads of effort and it was only thanks to a poor decision from the Palace v Posh ref that the result was mutually beneficial.

3.) Clubs all kick-off at the same on the last day for this reason.

4.) If this was going to be outlawed, why did Watford have 15 minutes to score knowing doing so would send them up? Both of those games should have started the second half at the same time.

5.) In Euro 2004 Sweden and Denmark played out the last few minutes without doing much as the 2-2 draw was mutually beneficial. If it wasn't clamped down on at an international tournament level (the 2nd most important one) why should it be clamped down on at club level.

6.) Finally I'd have no problem if the rules were specifically changed to stop this, but at the moment it's fine IMHO.

I'm sure that both sets of players and coaches were aware that they were operating within the rules of the game, maybe the FL will do something so that it doesn't happen in future but to punish either side would be a tad harsh IMO

I'm sure that both sets of players and coaches were aware that they were operating within the rules of the game, maybe the FL will do something so that it doesn't happen in future but to punish either side would be a tad harsh IMO

Wouldn't any changes to the playing rules have to come from FIFA?

Edited by PlayItLivo

I AM NOT PAYING TWENTY NICKER TO SEE A KEEPER FANNY ABOUT WITH THE FOOTBALL!

If bouzanis had done this with us in the same position i wouldnt have had a problem with it. at that stage of the season i would be ecstatic just to have survived and that alone is worth anyones 20 quid

Was the goalkeeper booked ?

The ball is in open play. The referee is not empowered to take any action.

It's one for the Football League. Most likely they will do nothing. The game loses.

Edited by opinions4u

The ball is in open play. The referee is not empowered to take any action.

It's one for the Football League. Most likely they will do nothing. The game loses.

What happened to booking for ungentlemanly conduct ?

Don't see any issue with it at all and would be miffed if we had failed to act in the same way in the same situation. The ball is in play so no time wasting offence is being committed.

I don't understand why anyone should think a points deduction would be in order just because the keeper isn't playing it forwards. If that rule was applied, the Football League would look at some of our performances this season and dock us dozens of points.

What happened to booking for ungentlemanly conduct ?

What part of keeping possesion is classed as ungentlemanly conduct. Should the full barcelona team be booked every game? Bit extreme I no but keeper did nothin wrong how many keepers wait to be under pressure until they pick the ball up? Thats all that happened yesterday. Strikers were just being defensive and holding position

What part of keeping possesion is classed as ungentlemanly conduct. Should the full barcelona team be booked every game? Bit extreme I no but keeper did nothin wrong how many keepers wait to be under pressure until they pick the ball up? Thats all that happened yesterday. Strikers were just being defensive and holding position

Many would think differently if Latics were in Peterborough's position ?