What response....

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It always amuses me when a southerner tells me their a man utd and then try and justify why they aren't a glory fan

This is where I got it wrong. Born in the south but a Latics fan from the start (family connection). What's the opposite of glory-seeking?

What's the radius? What if you were born in a hospital with no clubs in the vicinity?

The radius begins at 6 miles, so long as at least 1 league club is included, it's ends there, else it's extended until 1 league club is found. This has been thought about long and hard my friend!

I was born in Malta and only moved to Oldham in my teens. Based on the place of birth theory should I be supporting Sliema Wanderers?

It's good to road test this theory, maybe we add a second amendment that allows your place of residence to be the point at which is radius is drawn, only if you haven't decided upon a team already, an there is a cut off age, say 15? You would therefor have a choice of Slima Wanderers, teams in close proximity to slima, Latics, Dale or Ashton Utd, take your pick...!

For reasons I won't go into, Mark and I are settling in at the Sports and Social bar in the Houses of Parliament to watch the Everton v. Oldham replay when this young Everton fan comes over to chew the fat. I swear on the Holy Bible and on the life of my mother that this lad was patronising us for being Oldham fans. Perhaps this is a new trend, where fans of the supposedly superior team believe their chosen football team confers social status on them. I hope it was a one-off social error, but I doubt it.

They all have this.

"When we won...."

We? You did nothing. You didn't attend. You've never been.

It's good to road test this theory, maybe we add a second amendment that allows your place of residence to be the point at which is radius is drawn, only if you haven't decided upon a team already, an there is a cut off age, say 15? You would therefor have a choice of Slima Wanderers, teams in close proximity to slima, Latics, Dale or Ashton Utd, take your pick...!

Good, good; as both my Dad and I require this amendment to support Latics. He was born in Cardiff and only started supporting us when he was given a grateful patient's ST as he recovered from a serious illness.

I was born in Manchester some 9 miles from BP.

God. I have to become a West Ham fan or a Reading fan.

You don't if....

a) you were born within 6 miles of BP

B) your parents were born within 6 miles of BP

c) You moved to live within 6 miles of BP before age 15.

It sounds like we have a watertight case to propose this forms part of a 2015 general election manifesto to me. Can anyone see any further required amendments, before we put it in place and imprison at least 100,000 Man United fans?

Yes, just one amendment. Why only 100,000 Utd fans? Why not go the whole hog and imprison the entire 93 million or whatever it is world wide.

By the way, I was born on t' other side of Sheepfoot Lane to the ground. I guess I'm safe.

You don't if....

It sounds like we have a watertight case to propose this forms part of a 2015 general election manifesto to me. Can anyone see any further required amendments, before we put it in place and imprison at least 100,000 Man United fans?

Man, you've thought about this. I'm saved under part B. Although only one parent; I guess I'm half Latic, half Hearts.

Edited by Crusoe

You don't if....

My Dad is still in trouble, he didn't move to within 6 miles of BP until he was 30.

My Dad is still in trouble, he didn't move to within 6 miles of BP until he was 30.

Hmmm, this does provide a hiccup that requires attention. In order to find a solution, might I enquire about why your Dad hasn't selected a team from with 6 miles of his birthplace, 6 miles of either of his parent's birthplace, or 6 miles of any place of residence prior to the age of 15?

Hmmm, this does provide a hiccup that requires attention. In order to find a solution, might I enquire about why your Dad hasn't selected a team from with 6 miles of his birthplace, 6 miles of either of his parent's birthplace, or 6 miles of any place of residence prior to the age of 15?

He did he was a Cardiff fan but changed teams. I know he went to watch Cardiff before his teens but I doubt he watched them much after that due to being busy with other stuff (mainly work). Being Welsh Rugby was probably his main sport too.

One possible solution would be to allow people to add new teams after marriage or conceiving children. So he'd qualify after my brother was born which was around the time he started watching Latics

He did he was a Cardiff fan but changed teams. I know he went to watch Cardiff before his teens but I doubt he watched them much after that due to being busy with other stuff (mainly work). Being Welsh Rugby was probably his main sport too.

One possible solution would be to allow people to add new teams after marriage or conceiving children. So he'd qualify after my brother was born which was around the time he started watching Latics

Ok, so here we have it;

a. you were born within 6 miles of BP

b. your parents were born within 6 miles of BP

c. You moved to live within 6 miles of BP before age 15.

d. Your children we're born within 6 miles of BP

This should still classify millions of worldwide Man United fans as criminals under UK law! :)

Ok, so here we have it;

a. you were born within 6 miles of BP

b. your parents were born within 6 miles of BP

c. You moved to live within 6 miles of BP before age 15.

d. Your children we're born within 6 miles of BP

This should still classify millions of worldwide Man United fans as criminals under UK law! :)

Change d.) to "any immediate family member (spouse, sibling, children) satisfy any of the above" and he gets in.

IIRC There are a few posters on here who started supporting Latics because their other half did.

I support Latics because my dad does but my dad supports Latics because was from Prestwich and didn't enjoy going to watch United or City so just picked Latics and started going there.

Can there be a category for that?

Or Mossley?

Edited by stevesidg

My Auntie was in Cyprus a couple of years ago and she took her son to a zoo in his Latics shirt and to her surprise a man who worked there was a Latics fan from Stalybridge! Anyone else had something similar to that happen?

I was in Florida in my fluorescent yellow oldham shirt and a man in his early fourtys was in the cue for 'hulk' the roller coaster right in front of me wearing the SAME top... No it wasn't my dad!