What response....

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Do you support a Premiership team as well? That riles me

Its usually a fan of a prem team trying to strike up conversation. I know a few fans of prem teams even united fans who are actually alright about the whole thing I think many actually do respect it

But it comes down to this who would you rather talk about football with a fan of a one of the big teams who buys all the replica shirts and doesn't go to a game or the fan of a lower league team who goes up and down the country following his team. Not much of a contest is it whats the armchair premier league team going to tell you that you don't already know? The fan of the lower league team will just be far more interesting.

More than once, I've been met with, "Oldham. Christ, what did they ever win?" My response is, "Me. They won me as a genuine supporter of my home town team".

Sometimes, it's "Why don't you support a Prem team?" Answer is "Because I have no connection with them."

"Don't you go to watch Bristol City or Rovers seeing as you've lived down there for years?" Usual reply is, "Yes, of course I do. As long as they're playing Latics"

Amazes me why folk who are born and bred in a town/city just bugger off to watch the nearest Greedy league side and declare themselves lifelong fans.

Its usually a fan of a prem team trying to strike up conversation. I know a few fans of prem teams even united fans who are actually alright about the whole thing I think many actually do respect it

But it comes down to this who would you rather talk about football with a fan of a one of the big teams who buys all the replica shirts and doesn't go to a game or the fan of a lower league team who goes up and down the country following his team. Not much of a contest is it whats the armchair premier league team going to tell you that you don't already know? The fan of the lower league team will just be far more interesting.

I work at the Quays with a 60 odd year old Salfordian Red who actually says he envies me. I pretend I don't understand his logic but we both know I wouldn't have it any other way.

I live in London, and I get... "They're :censored: "... to which I reply, "how good they are is not a selection criteria unless you are a cretin, who do you support?", in hushed tones "Man United" comes the reply. At which point I explain that if I were prime minister, I would bring about a law that listed the clubs you could choose from on your birth certificate.

I live in London, and I get... "They're :censored: "... to which I reply, "how good they are is not a selection criteria unless you are a cretin, who do you support?", in hushed tones "Man United" comes the reply. At which point I explain that if I were prime minister, I would bring about a law that listed the clubs you could choose from on your birth certificate.

As you would be physically and mentally unable to choose at birth, I imagine that the majority of those living in London would insist on stating Man Utd on behalf of their new born. "It's are clab, ya knar son. Only 200 bleedin' miles for 'ome games".

Apologies for the attempt at typing Cockerney.

Edited by Bristolatic

As you would be physically and mentally unable to choose at birth, I imagine that the majority of those living in London would insist on stating Man Utd on behalf of their new born. "It's are clab, ya knar son. Only 200 bleedin' miles for 'ome games".

Apologies for the attempt at typing Cockerney.

It always amuses me when a southerner tells me their a man utd and then try and justify why they aren't a glory fan

Buck the trend but majority of responses I get are along lines of "good on ya for supporting a club and sticking by them for so long rather than being a glory hunter"...............after the usual "Why Oldham?"

One of my proudest moments. My lad, when he was about 7 told me it would be great if there were more Latics fans around here (Stafford). I told him that there never will be but the reason I support Oldham is that I was born there, you were born in Stafford so if you want to support a local team with your mates like Stoke, Port Vale, WBA, Wolves etc then that's ok by me. His reply? It's ok dad, I don't think you should change your football team. Priceless.

He now points out at the age of 16 that we have been in L1 all of his life! Football eh? bloody hell.

My Auntie was in Cyprus a couple of years ago and she took her son to a zoo in his Latics shirt and to her surprise a man who worked there was a Latics fan from Stalybridge! Anyone else had something similar to that happen?

Was on a Nile cruise ten years back sailing from Luxor to Aswan - sat at the dinner table that evening - bloke opposite was an Oldham fan who I still see in the Main stand.

Ooops, sorry about that, am on my way to Lords and I pressed the wrong button. My birth certificate theory works when the individual becomes old enough to like football, the parents then inform said youngster of listed clubs. I would make it law so I could lock people up if they ignored it and supported Man Utd instead. The only amendment to the rule would be the carrying over of clubs from your parents birth certificate, that way our friend from Stafford would be covered.

Ooops, sorry about that, am on my way to Lords and I pressed the wrong button. My birth certificate theory works when the individual becomes old enough to like football, the parents then inform said youngster of listed clubs. I would make it law so I could lock people up if they ignored it and supported Man Utd instead. The only amendment to the rule would be the carrying over of clubs from your parents birth certificate, that way our friend from Stafford would be covered.

Are you standing in 2015? You've got my vote.

I work at the Quays with a 60 odd year old Salfordian Red who actually says he envies me. I pretend I don't understand his logic but we both know I wouldn't have it any other way.

I work with a couple of lads from Salford, who support United because its their local team. They dont go often because of the cost of Uniteds games. They love football, but are ignorant and biased to the Premier League because its all United fans will ever know. They dont care for the lower leagues other than 'whos the whipping boys coming up this year then?'. I cant help but think if they were born in Oldham they would be regulars as they genuinely do love their club and support when they can afford it. I love the fact Im a Tic and its purely because of where I was born, Id probably be in their boat had I been born 20 miles down the road.

Its only United/Chelsea/Arsenal etc fans who think like this though. I know a diehard Stokie aswell and he loves lower league football because hes experienced it. Still cares about whats happening for example at Bury, and was interested in Sidibes loan move to Tranmere. Thinks its brilliant Wolves are where they are and hated Port Vale going up as they are still big rivals.I think its purely ignorance. We look up and down the leagues at whats happening because were bang in the middle. Those at the top dont care about those below.

Port vale fan at works reaction was 'Thanks god another lower league fan, Im sick of talking about the Champions League!' We went on to discuss Lee Hughes and Justin Richards (Barbara Streisand)

My Auntie was in Cyprus a couple of years ago and she took her son to a zoo in his Latics shirt and to her surprise a man who worked there was a Latics fan from Stalybridge! Anyone else had something similar to that happen?

In a bar in Cyprus many years ago. When asked were I was from, I replied Manchester, as I did not think they would know where Oldham was. The obvious response was "manchester United". So I said, no actually, "oldham Athletic. A little Cypriot chap on the other side of the room, got all excited, and shouted Joe Royale, Joe Royale!

Edited by manshaw

First response at the office I'm currently working at: "Oh we've got one of them downstairs!" as if they keep him as a pet for curiousity.

If you limit 'fans' to those who actually go to a game occasionally, I don't think there's much difference between Premiership and lower league fans. 90% are blinkered and deluded, 10% actually know a decent amount about the game, 5% have been to games in other divisions that didn't involve their team. I know a few Prem fans who also go to their local non-league club.

As far as I'm concerned the legions of Premiership 'fans' who've never watched a game outside their own living room (or, at a stretch, their local pub) don't count.

Edited by garcon

I always get: "Why the f*** do you support them?"

So I always have to reply: "My grandfather was from Oldham and I inherited them through my dad - so I have a real connection to them."

And I usually add: "Why do you support Man Utd/Liverpool/Arsenal/Chelsea when you're from Galway/Dublin/Cork/Donegal and have never been to Manchester/Liverpool/London in your life?"

That usually shuts them up.

I've been to more than my fair share of Galway and Mervue United matches in my time too. I empathise with their hardcore support who have to put up with seeing and hearing from those who choose to support a team from hundreds of miles away just because they are always on telly.

I remember going to a Bohemians friendly match against Aston Villa a few years ago. It was a sell-out - packed with Irish people cheering on Villa in Dublin. It was bizarre - the Irish Villa supporters chanting in English accents. The few English Villa fans I met afterwards were even embarrassed about it.

I once ended up having a long involved conversation with a taxi driver about Dale Stephens. He was a Charlton fan and so pleased to talk to another League One fan he switched the meter off and sat outside my flat talking about Stephens' range of passing with me getting increasingly impatient about getting home.

I've been in his taxi.

What criteria are used to decide which clubs go on the birth certificate?

A radius is drawn around the hospital an individual is born in, for example, if you're born in the Royal Oldham Hospital, you would have Latics, Dale and Ashton United. Take your pick and forever hold your peace, or face prison! :)

A radius is drawn around the hospital an individual is born in, for example, if you're born in the Royal Oldham Hospital, you would have Latics, Dale and Ashton United. Take your pick and forever hold your peace, or face prison! :)

What's the radius? What if you were born in a hospital with no clubs in the vicinity?

Living in Northern Ireland all I see is Liverpool, Man City, Chelsea, Man City, Arsenal and Everton shirts. Depressing as hell but it doesn't stop me wearing my Oldham shirt around the place, and having people stare at you wondering what top you have on.

Being in a land down under I have the everyday question - where are you from? If I answer Oldham I just get blank stares, if I answer near Manchester I get the inevitable next question so you are a Manchester United supporter then ......

Growing up I never used to hate Manure or Citeh, in fact if Latics and ORLFC were playing away I would often go to see them play. But now I friggen hate them. its as if the footballing world revolves around them.

For reasons I won't go into, Mark and I are settling in at the Sports and Social bar in the Houses of Parliament to watch the Everton v. Oldham replay when this young Everton fan comes over to chew the fat. I swear on the Holy Bible and on the life of my mother that this lad was patronising us for being Oldham fans. Perhaps this is a new trend, where fans of the supposedly superior team believe their chosen football team confers social status on them. I hope it was a one-off social error, but I doubt it.