What response....

....do you usually get when you reveal yourself to be a Latics supporter?

it's certainly something which may vary depending on things like location

The response of a Genuine Football fan

"I remember the Joe Royle team of the late 80s"

"it's bloody cold at your ground"

"well done in beating Liverpool"

The response of a total Bell-end

"why would anyone support Oldham when City and United are down the road?"

"whose your Premiership team?"

"when you go to matches are you the only person there?"

Oh and in Sheffield I get a lot of

"who do you prefer between United and Wednesday?"

Edited by Tommy_Fent

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I get a lot of blank looks. Often people don't know what to say. I imagine it's similar to when someone reveals to a new acquaintance that they're gay. They don't want to be patronising and say "Oh good for you" so just come out with an awkward "Oh I see".

Having said that though, the worst response is definitely when someone does say "Oh good for you" and smile. Good? Bloody good!? They don't know the half of it.

"What League are they in now?"

You find though in foreign climes you get a lot of respect for daring to support a smaller club. I once got free drinks all night in a Turkish bar just for being a Latics fan and the Greeks are chuffed to meet any fans that don't follow the bigger sides as they are thoroughly pissed off with Olympiakos themselves (The Greek Man Utd as in every bugger supports them…)

My own retort...

"Who do you support?" Me: Oh I don't follow football………I support Oldham Athletic…..

I once ended up having a long involved conversation with a taxi driver about Dale Stephens. He was a Charlton fan and so pleased to talk to another League One fan he switched the meter off and sat outside my flat talking about Stephens' range of passing with me getting increasingly impatient about getting home.

Much of the same as above except once in a taxi in Tanzania:

'You're from Manchester - Manchester United or Manchester City?'

'Neither - Oldham Athletic'.

'Oh, Paul Scholes!'

I was staying on Koh Pha Ngan at this small beach hut resort in 2001. They had a janitor/security guard bloke who didn’t speak hardly any English who asked me where I was from and then went on to ask ‘City/United’???

I responded Oldham, to which he looked confused and ran off. Ten mins later, he came bounding back with a big grin on his face shouting ‘DENNIS IRWIN’!!!

Much of the same as above except once in a taxi in Tanzania:

'You're from Manchester - Manchester United or Manchester City?'

'Neither - Oldham Athletic'.

'Oh, Paul Scholes!'

I had this in Jordan a couple of months ago. He also knew where Whalley Range was.

A slight tangent...

The main difference between a lower league supporter and a Prem league supporter, and I generalise a bit here, is that lower league supporters tend to be more 'football' supporters and have a far greater knowledge of football in general and not just their team or Premier league. Pick a Utd fan out at random and a Latics fan out at random and ask them to name the top four sides in each of the four divisions and I know where my money would be to who got the most right.

I'll always strike up a conversation with my mates who support City/Utd about their players etc and who they are playing at weekend but they never really ask me about Latics.

A slight tangent...

The main difference between a lower league supporter and a Prem league supporter, and I generalise a bit here, is that lower league supporters tend to be more 'football' supporters and have a far greater knowledge of football in general and not just their team or Premier league. Pick a Utd fan out at random and a Latics fan out at random and ask them to name the top four sides in each of the four divisions and I know where my money would be to who got the most right.

I'll always strike up a conversation with my mates who support City/Utd about their players etc and who they are playing at weekend but they never really ask me about Latics.

in a way I agree, for example notice how it's only Premier League supporters who suggest it to be the most entertaining league in the world

on the other hand I would suggest there is an inverse snobbery from Lower League fans to suggest that Premier League fans aren't propper fans. I know a fair few who follow their club just as passionatly as anyone on here and will show an interest in how Latics are doing. In fact I have a mate who was asking whether he could go to Latics matches with me next season as he's bored of the Premiership

on the other hand I would suggest there is an inverse snobbery from Lower League fans to suggest that Premier League fans aren't propper fans. I know a fair few who follow their club just as passionatly as anyone on here and will show an interest in how Latics are doing. In fact I have a mate who was asking whether he could go to Latics matches with me next season as he's bored of the Premiership

If you've not sat in a stand at half time with no leg room drinking weak coffee and suffering from food poisoning from the pies, freezing your nuts off in minus 10 degree temperatures with your team loosing 1-0 to a team that were in conference north a few years ago all in front of 3,000 fans you don't know what footballs all about. :D

Ye I've got a mate who supports Man City home and away through thick and thin. That's why I was keen to state 'generalise'

Living and working near Liverpool it used to be "Who's your manager these days?" and "I remember when you had a good team!"

Now they all know who we are after beating the not so mighty reds and taking the bitters to a replay!

I live in Scotland so usually get "isn't paul dickov ur manager" they used to be good didn't they (cheeky twats) what do they know? they support Ayr utd!!! I asked one bloke today who his team was and his reply was 1st Liverpool, 2nd Everton 3rd Chelsea 4th spurs!!!!! He was an old man as well even though his response was that of a five year old!