Assistant manager

Are we having one? Weren't we told we would have one by 1st June?

It was in the MEN or Advertiser that Johnson said it was going to take a little longer.

Not bothered though, it's only June 5th and i'd rather take time choosing a good assistant, than going for the quickfire, maybe cheaper option. Gerry Taggart springs to mind.

However, I think there will be increacing roles for Byrne this season, if he stays, and then also Philliskirk might be seen working more with the first team and with Johnson, especially with the idea being of bringing players through the ranks, rather than pissing about with the loan system so much. Can't beat having TP around in your backroom staff though for advice and guidance for LJ.

Are we having one? Weren't we told we would have one by 1st June?

When was the last time the club did anything right?

The more you post the more you point out the futility of supporting Latics. I realise I have been giving money to a worthless organisation, one which brings nothing but misery and dissatisfaction to you and , as fellow human being, I share your pain.

I have been propping up a source of pain to you . Forgive me.

Personally think there is something in the takeover talk (maybe not sv) and until its sorted all signings have been put on hold. Just my opinion like

Either this, or contractual reasons maybe, in terms of the assistant manager anyway - don't know what the role is about them talking to interested parties when under contract. Do they require permission from the club like managers do?

Jimmy Frizzell made a good decision when he told Ronnie Blair and the rest of the team to not make any tackles when we lost 3-0 at Southend but guaranteed wining the Ford Sporting League and getting the Lookers stand for free.....and of course they have now knocked the bloody thing down

Jimmy Frizzell made a good decision when he told Ronnie Blair and the rest of the team to not make any tackles when we lost 3-0 at Southend but guaranteed wining the Ford Sporting League and getting the Lookers stand for free.....and of course they have now knocked the bloody thing down

Before it fell down!

Personally think there is something in the takeover talk (maybe not sv) and until its sorted all signings have been put on hold. Just my opinion like

Me too, it could just be additional investment in terms of an extra board member. But even so they would probably want some say when appointing an Assistant Manager

conveniently ignoring the 40 odd years in between. It speaks far more about how Ford build things, than Latics. It is worth £750k today, you could no build much for that, so we got good value. Not sure what it has to do with an Asst Mgr though.

I wondered about this too. Can't help wondering if the potential takeover and a related transfer-embargo was what scuppered the Vigurs signing after the point of photos being taken.

• 2 weeks later...

Me too, it could just be additional investment in terms of an extra board member. But even so they would probably want some say when appointing an Assistant Manager

SC said early last season that there would be changes to the board, but nothing happened.

Does Johnson seem the type to need or welcome advice on his assistants appointment? Any new addition to the board is hardly likely to be an a Abramovich type. I have a sneaking suspicion that Johnson will have had someone in mind since he stopped playing in January to follow his coaching ambitions. He does come across as a meticulous planner and the new man isn't exactly needed just yet. Probably having a good holiday.

Edited by mikeroyboy

Does Johnson seem the type to need or welcome advice on his assistants appointment? Any new addition to the board is hardly likely to be an a Abramovich type. I have a sneaking suspicion that Johnson will have had someone in mind since he stopped playing in January to follow his coaching ambitions. He does come across as a meticulous planner and the new man isn't exactly needed just yet. Probably having a good holiday.

He did say he had 3 people in mind and that 2 were under contract.

He did say he had 3 people in mind and that 2 were under contract.

That would be a safe thing to say in order to muddy the waters and make speculation on a name more difficult. I don't see Johnson waiting 4 months to appoint someone unless he was sure they would come. It's speculation of course and most contracts run to the end of June. He could also be a player.