The 2013 Ashes Thread

Ridiculous. Best case yet for scrapping DRS.

You've got to remove the "umpire's call" element of it. Once the decision is referred it has to be the third umpire who is accountable for the decision.

When it comes to the "only just in line" and "just clipping" LBW decisions it's got to be out. Either we believe the technology or we don't. If it's the latter then you have to stop using it and let the geeks improve it before using it again.

The LBW Hawkeye seems solid to me. Must be kept and has to be believed. Hot spot still has an element of interpretation to it. While I'd still keep it some clearer guidance for its use is needed.

• Replies 405
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The thing is the Hawkeye isn't solid. IIRC they've asked Hawkeye as an experiment so predict the path of a ball that's bowled a batsman and it's come up as missing (or vice versa). But agree with O4U, you either back it or you don't. It either works or it doesn't.

On a related note, agree with Vaughan on Hot Spot. Inventor has come out today and said it doesn't work properly so scrap it. I'm all for DRS but only if it works properly.

I've never liked DRS. I don't like the idea of questioning the umpires decision. Scrap it and go back to the umpires decision is final for me.

Past the point of no return though really. DRS has showed just how many the umpires get wrong and I think it will be hard to get back to how it was.

Well in Bell.

Past the point of no return though really. DRS has showed just how many the umpires get wrong and I think it will be hard to get back to how it was.

Well in Bell.

Has it shown just how many they get wrong, or has the standard of umpiring gone down because they know it should get corrected anyway if they make a mistake?

I've never liked DRS. I don't like the idea of questioning the umpires decision. Scrap it and go back to the umpires decision is final for me.

The umpire's have made terrible errors with and without DRS. The umpires in these games aren't up to it. Home and away umpires should be brought back. Let the amateurs have a go at the telly box refereeing.

Fancy the Aussies to win this one to be fair.

Squad for fifth test includes Kerrigan.

Alastair Cook (Essex, captain), James Anderson (Lancashire), Jonny Bairstow (Yorkshire), Ian Bell (Warwickshire), Stuart Broad (Nottinghamshire), Steven Finn (Middlesex), Simon Kerrigan (Lancashire), Kevin Pietersen (Surrey), Matt Prior (Sussex), Joe Root (Yorkshire), Graeme Swann (Nottinghamshire), Chris Tremlett (Surrey), Jonathan Trott (Warwickshire), Chris Woakes (Warwickshire)