The 2013 Ashes Thread

• Replies 405
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It's conceivable this could be done in two days this, unbelievable!

To go 1-0 down will give them such a boost and it really is game on for the Series.

But, seriously WTF has happened to Test Cricket? Unless something miraculous happens this will be done with by tomorrow at the latest...

Cook and Bell are key, KP is a maverick and what will be, will be with him but if one of those can stay alongside a firing KP then we may just set a decent target here but we simply can't give any more cheap wickets away, if we do it's curtains and the knives will be out for Cook. His Captaincy India apart has been average, the runs have begun to dry up and he looked clueless in trying to get that wicket of Smith/Agar…..

Cook and Bell are key, KP is a maverick and what will be, will be with him but if one of those can stay alongside a firing KP then we may just set a decent target here but we simply can't give any more cheap wickets away, if we do it's curtains and the knives will be out for Cook. His Captaincy India apart has been average, the runs have begun to dry up and he looked clueless in trying to get that wicket of Smith/Agar…..

Hughes?

It's conceivable this could be done in two days this, unbelievable!

To go 1-0 down will give them such a boost and it really is game on for the Series.

But, seriously WTF has happened to Test Cricket? Unless something miraculous happens this will be done with by tomorrow at the latest...

They had a stat on TMS yesterday about the number of tests finishing in 4 days these days. T20 and 50 over cricket has changed the mentality of modern cricketers, they don't leave the balls they should leave and they look to score off too many balls rather than playing themselves in building the innings.

We may have been harshly done with Trott's dismissal but my point still stands.

Looks like our lads were just as overconfidently foolish as you. Good call on Clarke tho mate, he was ace.

I don't think Australia played all that well yesterday. We gifted them so many wickets that it is untrue. Of the players you listed, Siddle got a 5 for. Fair enough, but he got 6 and a hat trick on the opening day of the last Ashes and look how that went of him. And I do wonder why you think we should be worried about an opening batsman who averages 35 and only has 2 test centuries in his career.

The ball that got Clarke out was absolutely stunning. And being bowled by a ball that would get almost every batsman out doesn't make you a bad player. He is one of the best players playing the game at the moment and he will be the prized wicket in every innings. Just look at Jimmy's reaction when we got him.

I'll maintain, after 2 days, there isn't an awful lot to worry about. If we play well, we will win. So far, we have had large spells where we haven't played well, but we are still in with a good chance of winning. If it wasn't for a freak innings from the number 11 then we would be well in control of the game, even after such a dire batting performance.

Since he got the captaincy he has 5 centuries in 10 tests (and not out in the 10th at the moment.) I wish the rest of our batsmen would dry up like that.

Champagne moment today was that work experience lad holing out so near to the big one. I'd be quite amused if they sent him up the order. The good thing about our bowling is the planning that goes into it. He'll not get such friendly circumstances again.

He's a very capable lower-order batsman, though. I would expect them to bump him up the order.

He's a very capable lower-order batsman, though. I would expect them to bump him up the order.

Indeed he bats at 7 for South Australia, he was only at 11 in the first innings because he is a 19yo on debut. The Aussie tail does have a bit of wag in it though, Starc got 90+ in India a few months ago and he is their number 9, so Agar might only go up to 10.

Indeed he bats at 7 for South Australia, he was only at 11 in the first innings because he is a 19yo on debut. The Aussie tail does have a bit of wag in it though, Starc got 90+ in India a few months ago and he is their number 9, so Agar might only go up to 10.

I know Starc and Pattinson haven't played much, but their averages are really good for tail enders (32.7 and 28.77). But the crazy thing is that their number 11 currently averages 98. He averages more against England than Don Bradman did. I'd retire now if I were him!