Ill give you that, no brainer to pick Baxter over Simpson. After that, he couldn't adapt to a new position.

But what if Baxter is not gonna be here though ? Its not nailed on that he will be, what with SC saying he does have a min release clause, would you be happy for Simmo to be back then, in what is undoubtedy his best role ? I dont like all this negativity towards the lad, to say he didnt put in the effort is just plain bollox. How many of us , who have played football at whatever level, can honestly say theyve not had spells where nothing comes off for you when you try it ? And the harder you try the more it seems to go wrong, i think he has big confidence issues, hence all the talk of trenches etc from LJ. I dont think he will be back , but he will have my full backing if he does, and i trust LJ judgement either way

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

But what if Baxter is not gonna be here though ? Its not nailed on that he will be, what with SC saying he does have a min release clause, would you be happy for Simmo to be back then, in what is undoubtedy his best role ? I dont like all this negativity towards the lad, to say he didnt put in the effort is just plain bollox. How many of us , who have played football at whatever level, can honestly say theyve not had spells where nothing comes off for you when you try it ? And the harder you try the more it seems to go wrong, i think he has big confidence issues, hence all the talk of trenches etc from LJ. I dont think he will be back , but he will have my full backing if he does, and i trust LJ judgement either way

Comfortably the best post today. Possible ever.

Ill give you that, no brainer to pick Baxter over Simpson. After that, he couldn't adapt to a new position.

Again, just his fault?

Against Liverpool he played up top with Smith and caused havoc, with Baxter behind in a 4-3-1-2.

Against Forest he was moved on the left second half but told to push really far forward. He cut in so much it was basically the same front free.

Incredible that Dickov got his tactics so spot on against Liverpool, with the direct balls to Smith and Simpson mixed with passes through Baxter and Croft, but rarely did in the league.

Gutted TP didn't do the same at Goodison. They had been struggling with height in the box defensively for weeks (including the first leg) yet we left Smith on the bench. Massive head's gone, but can see what he was hoping with the 'impact sub'. And if Baxter's shot had gone in off the post.....

Anyway, the groin injury Simpson had really ruptured his season. Knackered his confidence. He played through pain, even lying to keep his place in midfield, his non-preferred position. He didn't spit his dummy out and try to leave on loan as soon as he wasn't getting picked up top. So agree about effort, he did try.

But ultimately, not good enough and too much of a liability with his discipline. Although given the other fitness issues and cases of players going backwards in Dickov's squad, I don't think that was entirely the player's fault.

Yep, agree with STMIK - he would not be a top priority signing for me; not at all really.

BUT - some of this criticisim is but OTT and if (and i dont think he will, but) IF he does end up back here, well - he'll be a 'Tic again and he'll get my backing, just as he when was here before.

He's not half as bad as some would have you believe but we've got Baxter to play off a front man so don't need Simpson.

I've said it before but any number 10 type will struggle without pace around them. Simpson was good on loan cos he had Evina, White, Morais, Taylor with decent pace AND he got a lot of assists from set pieces. Wasn't as effective when paired with Shefki who didn't have pace to stretch defences so defences pushed up, condensed play & we didn't score. Put him in a team full of pace & Simpson will do well.

Why the :censored: are we talking about Robbie Simpson again?

I'd be very disappointed to see him back. It's not about him being :censored: though, as many are stating on this thread. It's actually the opposite. It's the fact that he showed in a handful of big games that he has more ability than most of last season's squad. The fact he couldn't be arsed to do it in the bread and butter league games is criminal and I'd rather watch a player with less ability who'll put a shift in that the likes of Simpson.

Good riddance.

I'd be very disappointed to see him back. It's not about him being :censored: though, as many are stating on this thread. It's actually the opposite. It's the fact that he showed in a handful of big games that he has more ability than most of last season's squad. The fact he couldn't be arsed to do it in the bread and butter league games is criminal and I'd rather watch a player with less ability who'll put a shift in that the likes of Simpson.

Good riddance.

Amen to that.

Good riddance.

Because he splits opinion and its a good debate. Matt chambers fault though as he couldn't find anything to write about

Good riddance.

If he "couldn't be arsed" in the majority of matches other than the big games, surely the management would have got wise to this and wouldn't have continued to play him?

I wonder if he hadn't given us the big moments at Forest and Liverpool, people would be so harsh - maybe he set his standards too high in these games and people expected that every week, in which case he wouldn't have been at Oldham.

Actually felt a bit sorry for him - he signed a new contract last year, possibly under the impression he was going to be played in the middle, yet Dickov persisted in playing him on the wing - and he was no winger.

I'd have him back in the squad, but I think it will only benefit the team and the player if he fights his for his place in the centre, rather than is made to just do a job out wide.

Something was not right last season as he was a shadow of the player from the year before. I guess it was a mixture of injuries and loss of form. If we had money to burn I think we would have kept him as a decent squad player but I don't think we can afford to pay his wages to sit on the bench.

If he has no offers then I'd offer him a performance-related deal. Play good enough to be selected then you get extra on top of a very basic basic. Weight the goal bonus and win bonus accordingly. You score & we win then you receive on par to last season.

Play him in his favoured role with this big carrot in front of him then we could well see the Simpson that we saw on loan.

Good riddance.

This!

Shall we go again?!

The rest of the underachieving squad dont get the same stick Robbie does for turning it on the cups and not the league!

If you like.

We all see it differently.

I see it like Stevie_J see's it...........a lad with talent who can't be arsed.

That's why there isn't a queue forming for his signature.

If you like.

We all see it differently.

I see it like Stevie_J see's it...........a lad with talent who can't be arsed.

That's why there isn't a queue forming for his signature.

How do you know that there isnt a queue of clubs in for him?