• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The only Simpson I want at the club next season is Luke.

Edit: And he's not at another club as far as I'm aware. I've heard something about him rejecting Accy Stanley but that could've been sarcastic!

Edited by NewBlue

I would rather chop my head off with a rusty pair of scissors, whilst getting noshed off by a crocodile, than I would see Robbie Simpson back at the club...

Wouldn't want him here if he played for free.

Waste of space!

I wish you two would stop sitting on the fence. Can't disagree, though.

I would rather chop my head off with a rusty pair of scissors, whilst getting noshed off by a crocodile, than I would see Robbie Simpson back at the club...

Considering the great moments he has given us and how rash you can be it surprises me that you don't love him.

Stick to designing kits.

I'm sorry my opinion doesn't agree with yours.

He was dog :censored: last season and gave us what, a goal at Anfield and maybe 3 or 4 good games whilst he was on loan, the season before. Similar to Morais, only seemed to play for a contract, once he had it he was content to do :censored: all for his x amount of money a week. Knew he was moving on from Dickov leaving probably and thought he'd be going on to bigger and better, doesn't seem to have caught the eye of a bigger team so far, it seems anyway. Wouldn't be a surprise if he ended up at Doncaster though, Dickov bringing in his failures.

Waste of money, waste of space in our squad.

LJ would be dropping a bollock bring him back, IMHO.

Edited by Latics_Fanatic

Decent lad, never said a bad word about the club, played plenty of games out of position without kicking up a fuss.

We've had a load of worse players in recent times than him, the stick he gets is unjustified.

Never a truer word spoken. Well said sir.

Decent lad, never said a bad word about the club, played plenty of games out of position without kicking up a fuss.

We've had a load of worse players in recent times than him, the stick he gets is unjustified.

Its just a shame he was :censored: in all positions

And still positive about Latics had a rough year off the field I am told and played in the wrong role.

Crikey whilst I wouldnt have given him a similar contract we are a hard lot at times.

It's pretty typical though. Dickov has become a scrote and a parasite and is guaranteed to take Doncaster down, Simpson a waste of space, and according to some (not meaning anyone specific on OWTB) out of contract players who choose to move on are fools or mercenaries.

Hindsight seems to poison our memories of past managers and players more than they deserve.

Simpson is another in a long line of recent Latics players that have made a fantastic initial impact, then gradually gone downhill. It took him a few games to find his feet, once Dickov moved him into the hole behind Kuqi he suddenly became a lot more effective. He tailed off after signing his full time deal but scored a couple of important goals as we limped over the line in 11/12.

Last pre-season he looked fit and sharp, full of a goal threat and raring to go, playing off Miguel - then the deal fell through. Dickov for whatever reason signed the underwhelming Slew and Simpson immediately looked off-colour, he should have been sent off for a petulant dig at MK Dons just as the whistle went, he was extremely lucky to get away with that. His performances became more and more ineffective culminating in him rightly losing his place. From somewhere he put in an excellent second half performance against Forest and did ok against Liverpool and Everton, but if you can't raise your game against top, top sides then you might as well quit now.

I think LJ saw him as something of a talisman, he tried to talk him up and to begin with it worked in the first game or two of his reign. But I think once we hit a sticky patch in early April, drawing with Colchester and losing to Carlisle and PNE, I think it told LJ everything he needed to know regarding Simpson.

Sadly, Simpson is another footballer that thinks his ability is enough, it isn't - effort and application is most of the battle, especially in League One and especially when budgets are as tight as they are. He gave us some great moments such as his hat-trick against Chesterfield, great strikes at Liverpool, Chesterfield and Forest but ultimately he lacked the desire to put those sorts of performance in more regularly, and a lot of what Lee Clark said about Simpson on him leaving, has proved to be correct.

If Dickov does sign him he knows what he's getting, I for one was not sorry to see him released.