Simpson had an uncanny ability to run around looking busy and yet doing absolutely nothing, he would close the player down until he got a yard or two off him then rarely put a challenge in, I and others were not fooled.

Edited by oafcprozac

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yeah, I always thought he put in the effort, it was just that he was a jack of all trades (i.e. master of none). Didn't have the right mix of pace, trickery or crossing skills to be a winger. Not predatory enough to be a regular goalscorer. Didn't have the ballwinning skills or range of passing to be a central midfielder. He did all of those things quite well, but not enough to excel at one of them.

I do wonder if managers are as much to blame - played out of position so often without letting a side down that he never developed a speciality.

Simpson had an uncanny ability to run around looking busy and yet doing absolutely nothing, he would close the player down until he got a yard or two off him then rarely put a challenge in, I and others were not fooled.

Really though? This seems like a remarkably elaborate ruse. Why would he do that? He's done the hard work, so maybe he was told to close down and not dive in. After all I saw him tackle a few times, I'd probably be pretty keen to stop him doing it again.

More often than not when he did put a challenge, this was followed by a booking and/or a sending off

I said previously that whilst the Latics team of last year were by far from the worst in terms of ability, they were the worst I have seen since I started going in terms of effort, application, desire to win, and on reflection I would add fitness to that list.

I never for a second thought Robbie Simpson was lacking in ability, but one too many times for me when playing your standard/lower league 1 clubs, he decided he couldn't be arsed.

What winds me up the most with Simpson is how good he was on loan.

I remember us saying Why have Hudds let such a talent go?

As soon as he signed and he was in his comfort zone his form dropped.

just shows what alot of these players can do when they can be arsed.

Performance related pay anyone?

Agree with the sentiments on here, particularly Prozac.

However, is it all Simpson's fault?

For me, Simpson was given a highly paid deal and then the team was not built around his strengths, and rapidly went downhill.

He had dodgy discipline but that was indicative of the whole squad - players that weren't fit enough, slow in the tackle, and grew frustrated.

Seemingly a good player on arrival but - albeit with good form while on loan and some great efforts in the cup - didn't improve at Latics and instead, went backwards.

A familiar tale under Mr Dickov?

I don't think Simpson was/is as bad has some are painting. It's clear Simpson has been on too much money during points of his career to date and if anything the coming down to a level in salary his ability deserves affected his attitude. That said I always thought Robbie spoke about the club well.

Re-sign him if he is on the cheap.

Just don't play him on the left wing.

I'd be tempted to agree. We should consider re-signing him if we can meet the following conditions:

Short term contract

Lower wages

Don't consistently play him out of position

Don't build a team around him

Don't make him captain

Personally I don't think there was too much of an attitude problem, certainly no more than the rest of the team last season, and when he performed he was worth the money. He just has to perform more often.

I'd be tempted to agree. We should consider re-signing him if we can meet the following conditions:

Short term contract

Lower wages

Don't consistently play him out of position

Don't build a team around him

Don't make him captain

Personally I don't think there was too much of an attitude problem, certainly no more than the rest of the team last season, and when he performed he was worth the money. He just has to perform more often.

He seemed to get on well with the rest of the team. Saying that his best mates seemed to be (from Twitter of course so it could all be completely unfounded) Furman, Smith, Croft and Weslowski. Of which only one is still with us.

http://www.oldham-chronicle.co.uk/news-features/10/oldham-athletic-news/81289/mac-to-make-big-latics-impact

Simpson himself is ready to hit the ground running when a suitable offer comes up.

“Clubs are taking their time this summer,” he said. “There isn’t a lot of activity. I am keeping myself fit so that when a club comes along, I am ready to go.”

In other words he has a sum total of 0 offers.

Out of interest why the hell are we still doing interviews with Robbie Simpson in the Oldham Chron?

:lol:

Probably for the same reason some people still keep tabs on where former players end up.

Decent lad, never said a bad word about the club, played plenty of games out of position without kicking up a fuss.

We've had a load of worse players in recent times than him, the stick he gets is unjustified.

My thoughts too - would welcome him back if we can agree the wages - still a talent imho.

Someone mentioned that he was constantly played out of position but his problem was that he didn't know his position.

- Striker was probably his 'best' position, but needs a certain type of player next to him that we didn't have.

- Definitely not a winger, too slow. But it was the best way to put him in the team.

- Not really a central midfielder either, didn't get involved.

Wherever he ends up, he'll need a position.

Someone mentioned that he was constantly played out of position but his problem was that he didn't know his position.

- Striker was probably his 'best' position, but needs a certain type of player next to him that we didn't have.

- Definitely not a winger, too slow. But it was the best way to put him in the team.

- Not really a central midfielder either, didn't get involved.

Wherever he ends up, he'll need a position.

Best position was behind the striker in the Attacking Midfield role.

But then, no competition between him and Baxter - Jose would be first on the team sheet 9/10 games.

Simpson is exactly the kind of person that LJ does not want in the team - someone that couldn't give a 100% in run of the mill league games. Had he played to his ability all the time we wouldn't have been in a relegation battle. In LJ I trust - but would waver a moment if Simpson returns.

Simpson is exactly the kind of person that LJ does not want in the team - someone that couldn't give a 100% in run of the mill league games. Had he played to his ability all the time we wouldn't have been in a relegation battle. In LJ I trust - but would waver a moment if Simpson returns.

Absolute tosh.

Inclined to think he could do a job for us still. IF he does come back he'd have a lot to prove again and he'd have to win over a new manager who I don't think is a pushover.

He's probably blown his chance though and would have been re-signed by now if it was on the cards.

Best position was behind the striker in the Attacking Midfield role.

But then, no competition between him and Baxter - Jose would be first on the team sheet 9/10 games.

Ill give you that, no brainer to pick Baxter over Simpson. After that, he couldn't adapt to a new position.