Great / Standout performances by otherwise poor players

Smalley v Everton (a) ran rings round Leighton Baines, never really did much after that

Adam Griffin v Man City (h), put SWP in his pocket; at the time he was England squad member who had been tearing PL full-backs to pieces.

Spoke to an Oxford fan the other week, apparently Smalley tears it up pre-season then goes missing.

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I remember a young Irish lad in the 1960s called Tony Foster having a brilliant debut, it was all downhill after that.

Around the same time centre forward Jim Beardall hit about 11 goals before Christmas and in the New Year was rewarded with a transfer to Great Harwood - where he remained for many years.

Andy Sweeney, the new George Best we thought after a superb debut, he played a few more games and finished up at Mossley.

John Collins scored 6 goals his debut for the Latics in a friendly, goals were then few and far between. (his record with other clubs showed though he actually wasn't a bad player)

Dickie Down, he stood out because he was so poor in every game.

Edited by BP1960

Was talking to a mate about Joe Colbeck in the week. Yes he was appalling, but away at Wycombe he beat people for fun, caused mayhem and was brought off for it. no wonder he was always crap there on in.

After 2 minutes he did do one of the funniest things Ive seen on a football field though. The ball was played out to him, he stopped it dead, with the ball under his foot. As he moved he slipped on it like a cartoon character slipping on a banana and faceplanted into the floor. Id pay to see footage of it.

Otherwise though for 70 minutes he turned himself into a proper player. Things went wrong when he came off.

Any other great performances by otherwide crap players?

Just got to agree with this - I was at that Wycombe game and Colbeck was awesome - it just goes to show....

Matthew Rush versus Swindon, 96/97. He was brilliant that day. We won 5-1, had us believing that we would stay up. Some hope. Also seem to remember John Gannon (who was absolutely gash in his few appearances) returning after several months out and actually having a decent match. Must've been a night game, maybe 1995-ish. He WAS terrible though.

Me at training for Colliers Return on a cold Tuesday night back in about 92. Tore the whole team a new one, scoring for fun and setting up loads. Couldn't hit a cows arse with a banjo on the Sunday tho and was promptly relegated back to the subs bench. Pretty much till I hung my boots up!