Poor Doncaster Rovers

From the Doncaster OS

Paul Dickov said this afternoon: I made an offer to Jean before we travelled to Portugal but while we were away he said he was going to speak to Barnsley. I explained that if he did, I would not be proceeding with bringing him to the club, as I only want players who are 100% committed to Doncaster Rovers.

Don't blame him...

It's a fine line between banter and bitterness.

So why interpret it solely as being bitterness??? I would say footballing banter/rivalry will always include a bit of bitterness, but that's just football. I'm not sure what we should be 'getting over' but it sounds boring.

i think we will be pushing to get out of this division with a very good manager and one of the best squads we have seen at BP in a long time. I think i would rather be our shoes at the minute.

and I thought I was smokin some strong :censored:

Edited by PlayItLivo

So why interpret it solely as being bitterness??? I would say footballing banter/rivalry will always include a bit of bitterness, but that's just football. I'm not sure what we should be 'getting over' but it sounds boring.

Where's the rivalry? Who exactly are we 'bantering' with? All I'm seeing is some clichéd potshots at a former manager. I think it's fair to say a lot of people are in some way optimistic about the current regime; why not look to the future instead of dwelling on the past?

Where's the rivalry? Who exactly are we 'bantering' with? All I'm seeing is some clichéd potshots at a former manager. I think it's fair to say a lot of people are in some way optimistic about the current regime; why not look to the future instead of dwelling on the past?

Can I do both?

I dont get it, their all outraged at missing out on a player who was apparently :censored:e in the friendlies he's played for them.

Also, if you believe one of their forums moderators, then M'voto had actually signed a contract with them but his agent hadn't, and found him a better deal at Barnsley.

Sounds like Dickovs pre season bonding trip to Portugal was a complete waste of money with only half a team. Dickov impressed Doncaster with his contacts, and had a fantastic list of players he wanted to bring in. The reality is any manager can make a list of players they want. Getting them in under the restraints of a smallish budget for the Championship is another matter.

I've got a work meeting with a Doncaster season ticket holder arranged for Friday morning. What should I say to them? Am I allowed to take the mickey?

I'll give that a go, cheers. It's a lady though so it might not have the right effect.

You could discuss shortcomings.

Dickov's, rather than your own, obviously.

Quite right jw.

I don't think Dickov could have cared more for the club, he did his best, put lots of effort in - but came up short. Why anyone should slag off an employee of Latics who tried his best beats me.

Personally I hope he develops as a manager and is successful - though never in any match against us.

My problem with Dickov is the way he has made numerous excuses for his failure with us. Blaming the budget is ridiculous. He would never have got the job in the first place if money was no object and he must have known this from the start. If he struggled to attract decent players due to the budget, why has he now signed Furman, tried to sign JYM and chasing JB (reportedly) at a club in a higher division?

If he had moved on, admitted his own faults and wrote it off as a learning experience I for one wouldn't have a problem with him.