v Shrewsbury - JPT (R1)

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Get in there boys! Absolutely perfect.

Utilised the squad and had a look at other options, show the strength in depth we finally have! Scored 4 away from home, Rooney adding another one to his tally. Philliskirk surely in with a shout in starting ahead of JCH for next game? Schmeltz getting one will do his confidence the world of good.

As well as that sounded strong and resolute at the back and only conceded to a fantastic finish.

Great win and through to the next round! Job done!

I left Wolverhampton at 8 and got full commentary on BBC Shropshire all the way home.

They were raving about Schmeltz even before his goal and thought we were very good all round. They thought Lanzoni was good and that Tarkowski was a "big unit" at the centre of our defence!(?).

Gary Johnson and Brendan Rodgers were both there - I think Rodgers has seen more of Latics than most of us this season. I wonder if him and LJ speak regularly.

Edited by HarryBosch

I bet Rodgers gave us his opinion on Philliskirk having worked with him at Chelsea

Here's how the North-west draw should line up on Saturday:
Carlisle, Morecambe, Preston, Rochdale, Fleetwood, Port Vale, Crewe, LATICS

(And the North-east: Hartlepool, Notts County, Sheff Utd, Wolves, Chesterfield, Mansfield Town, Rotherham United, York City.)

For me I would like Carlisle or York home. They're on the ropes at the moment! And I think we could do them and get through to the next round. If not Rochdale away would do me, any of them three ties please Chamberlain & Rushden!

Edited by Ross2509

After a quick glance on the Shrewsbury forum, the majority are saying that we looked very, very good tonight and that it wasnt all down to them making us look good but the fact we just outplayed them and looked a better team. Some are raving about Schmeltz as well! And to think he's only been on the bench these first games, kind of shows how strong this squad is!

Just back, we we're outstanding! Schmeltz tore there full back to shreds, mills outstanding, smith very good, i could go on, best all roubd performance ive seen for a long time, not getting too carried away as its only the JPT but we looked different class to shrewsbury in every way possible.

Oldham 0-1 Walsall.

Oldham 0-1 Tranmere.

Oldham 0-1 Derby.

Come on paddy!

Stevenage 3 Oldham 4

Oldham 3 Port Vale 1

Shrewsbury 1 Oldham 4

Aint too shabby an average!

Last season after JPT first round (4th September) we had scored 5 goals

This Season after JPT first round we have scored 12 goals

11/12 we had scored 8

10/11 we had scored 8

09/10 we had scored 5

Not to bad by Johnson so far...

Taken from my pals facebook:

1011653_612942722062012_1280203950_n.jpg

I love JCH and his disappointment at not scoring two gaping chances was admirable clear as day, however this picture shows the attitude he had at the end. Having tried to walk off the pitch and up the tunnel, a member of the coaching staff grabbed him and made him come over and thank us for our support, yet not one clap from the big man. Some fans will turn on him very clearly if this becomes the norm, which would be a big shame.

Well, that was fun!

Not totally sure whether it was us being world beaters or Shrewsbury being dog:censored:, but that was the most convincing win I've ever seen in the flesh from Latics. The way we passed the ball about all night was so slick and sharp. That was the perfect match for the first teamers lacking some confidence and fringe players who wanted a chance to impress. Shrewsbury had a fair few shots but barely any clear cut chances and they didn't look threatening. We could've had at least 6 or 7.

Oxley - couldn't do much about the goal (possibly handling could've been better) but made a decent number of good saves including one outstanding save. I think we'll get the best of him towards the end of the season, hopefully his development will be smooth.

Lanzoni - looks like a very good player, even if he isn't great at CB he'll be fine at RB.

Tarky - very good, aside from having no problems with the bread and butter defensive jobs he epitomises the team's style by the way he brings the ball out of defence. The jury may have been out last season, not the case this time around.

Grounds - made some excellent tackles and looks very composed, better than he looked at LB.

Mills - did well defensively and looked great going forward.

Rusnak - did ok. He was very tidy in the 1st half but faded in the 2nd. Looks to be playing within himself.

Smith - now I see why many rave about him! Nearly the complete midfielder. At 22 we got a hell of a bargain there.

Rodgers - he has very quick feet and fits in very well with tonight's style, any games where we need to win the midfield battle then Wes has to play ahead of him, but he'll have some use this season. Tonight he played a lot of poor passes including one horrendous one across the edge of the box which Oxley got him out of jail on.

Schmeltz - I have to mention that he won't play against a worse full-back at this level all season, but he produced so many moments of blistering pace, mesmerising dribbling and pinpoint crossing that means he has earned himself the chance to keep the place. JCH owes him a pint for not burying that header at the end, amazing cross.

Rooney - Centre Forward personified. He has to be the 1st striker on the teamsheet alongside a 2nd striker because he causes so many problems for defences and creates so much space/opportunities for the players around him. He'll score a fair number of goals like the one tonight during this season.

Philliskirk - Ignoring how the rest of his match went (which was decent), he showed 2 things for the goals that could give him a big future. The finish for the 1st was sublime and being in the right place at the right time for the 2nd. Earned himself a start at Preston imo.

Mellor - didn't notice much of him tbh.

Millar - lots of pace and energy, not sure he has the composure to be a striker but he'll stretch defences when he comes off the bench.

JCH - using him on the left against weak full backs could be a great tactic if we want to be direct. Missed 2 sitters late on but he's getting chances and putting himself about.

The guys who were chanting made the 2nd half very entertaining, especially Korey Smith chant that turned into a Sidney Schmeltz one and the "Not a fat granny shagger" chant.

Was glad I could go tonight instead of the November game which would've been a big hassle.

Finally a word on LJ, I'm intrigued to see just how good his in-game tactical decisions will be over the season but he has unquestionably given himself a squad of great attacking variety to work with. If he does then I could see us going on a massive winning run at some point this season. I doubt we'll do enough consistently to make the playoffs but we aren't going to struggle playing like that, that's for sure.

Edited by the_mighty_bosh

Great Game. Different class. Our pace absolutely left them standing. Their Directors said they could not live with us. Sidney outstanding. Philly shows he is a natural goal scorer.

Unfair to pull out names because the team played well together. Oxley made some great saves tonight. He still had some work to do despite them being second best all night.

Well done the away support. !!!!!!!

Barry

I love JCH and his disappointment at not scoring two gaping chances was admirable clear as day, however this picture shows the attitude he had at the end. Having tried to walk off the pitch and up the tunnel, a member of the coaching staff grabbed him and made him come over and thank us for our support, yet not one clap from the big man. Some fans will turn on him very clearly if this becomes the norm, which would be a big shame.

The picture shows nothing but him celebrating with the players, What are you talking about?

The picture shows nothing but him celebrating with the players, What are you talking about?

look again - he's stood with hands on hips.

I really like the lad, but despite being gutted at missing the chances his job at that point was to applaud the fans and this he didn't do at all.

https://twitter.com/clarkeharris/status/375042445152907264

This may be the main reason as to which he wasnt overly happy at the final whistle. A lot of our players seem to say frequently that they have 'headloss' so you never know why they're annoyed, so I'm guessing JCH was annoyed because he was dropped? And if that's the case I wouldn't know why because its the JPT and the squad gets rotated...

look again - he's stood with hands on hips.

I really like the lad, but despite being gutted at missing the chances his job at that point was to applaud the fans and this he didn't do at all.

@ClarkeHarris: Feels like iv really lost me head dont know what's wrong with me

Don't really know what to read into this, but maybe he's got some other issues at the moment.