• Dayton
    • Smith
    • Rooney
    • Philliskirk
    • Schmeltz
    • MacDonald
    • Montano
    • Clarke-Harris

I thought there were many good performances tonight, the whole back four were superb as were Smith and Sid.

See I thought Smith was poor tonight, gave the ball away far too much. There were however glimpses of quality from the lad which we all know he has.

Tarky with yet another MOM performance...we really will struggle to keep hold of the boy if he keeps this up!

I actually feel bad Smith has so few votes - he played a blinder, superb in possession and won loads of 50-50's but Tarky was just immense.

I voted for Smith, as brilliant as Tarky was I didn't think he had that much defending to do, mainly because of the ball retention and closing down ahead of him. Mind you, at times it was like watching Beckenbaur with the young lad gliding through their midfield, very exciting. Smith did all the bread and butter stuff easily and doesn't seem to panic even when outnumbered.

Mills MOM for me, never put a foot wrong all night. Special mention to Korey Smith too. Excellent.

Tarky was good, but for :censored:s sake - when you come forward show some desire to get back.* Ambling back just isnt good enough. Thought the back 4 all played very well though to be honest.

*Its a massive bugbare of mine. Regardless who it is. Too many defenders come forward then dont get back in. 3 or 4 times he virtually walked back yesterday. Not good enough for me. It winds me up.

To balance this up, Im very pleased he seems to have stopped playing offside all the time (when its him playing someone onside) - he is just dealing with the situation. When he just deals with it, no messing, like last night, he looks much more of a better player. Long may that continue.

Edited by pukka

I went for Tarkowski but we showed quality in many areas. Biggest waste of space, IMO, was Montano. ...how many times did he try and fail to go around his man and fail dismally (I counted about 6 times, all with same result).....should have kept Sid on, at least he had them confused.

Back to Tarkowski.......does anyone think he would be where he is now if left to Taggart? I think Philliskirk and Byrne should take some plaudits for bringing him on.

Lots of other club manager's faces shown in the crowd last night including Doncaster's manager (quelle surprise) and Sheffield United's 'current' manager (he's just been given the "vote of confidence" by the new investors). They must have been impressed by our young centre half.

Man United's new sour faced whinging ginger manager was there also.

Tarki shaded it from smith for me because of his passing range. Not just comfatable on the ball but several accurate 40 yard passes always found the blue shirt it was destined for.. He could almost be wasted at CH !!!

I'm intrigued to see him in central midfield

Not as much pitch ahead of him to glide over though......

Fair enough. If dominating defence, making runs through midfield, spraying 40 yard inch perfect passes and being our most potent goal threat isn't enough.

Do you know what - it's not. Certain basics are important. You need have the desire to get back in. These runs through midfield; they look nice, but you watch how many of them result in a latics shot vs how many result in a breakaway.

Interesting point you make about goal threat. Its cos we look more dangerous from free kicks / corners than open play. We need a final ball, desparately.

Edited by pukka