Taylor going downhill!

My only problem with Adeyemi was his ability to disappear, not uncommon in one so young when he often found himself without a leader nearby.

Clearly had ability and stepped up to make a difference for Brentford, who are missing him.

As for Taylor, wish he'd never left.

Apart from the early days of his first two seasons, all our midfielders were :censored: under Dickov though. And playing the lad at left-back was plain daft, same with Mellor. Both are box to box midfielders. Tom Adeyemi got his chance at the top end of League One last season and took it. This year he's in a struggling team but still beeen stand out in the few extended highlights reels I've seen.

I hope the penny has dropped with Wes now - to get forward when the opportunity is there, it really does add another dimension to his game. Because he is a threat. Removing the strapping on his shoulder as LJ suggested it was restricting his movement - could be an absolute masterstroke if that was a mental barrier. Having said that it could also be game over if he falls heavily!

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

We missed Taylor last season, the only out and out poor year he had was under Penney, when he suffered a procession of niggles and was being given a hard time to play even when not right. Every other year he contributed, even in his last season he scored a couple of vital goals and the year before his goals probably kept us in the division.

You see many young players come to our club and sadly for us because our club isn't geared to going forward they have to leave to develop as players.

We would have had a far better chance of keeping hold of the likes of Taylor Baxter mvoto Stephens eardley even adeyimi if we had an infrastructure in place to help them develop. Dare I say it but if Johnson becomes the manager he is threatening to become or if the likes of tarky want to achieve great things then they have to leave our club.

Shame really

You see many young players come to our club and sadly for us because our club isn't geared to going forward they have to leave to develop as players.

We would have had a far better chance of keeping hold of the likes of Taylor Baxter mvoto Stephens eardley even adeyimi if we had an infrastructure in place to help them develop. Dare I say it but if Johnson becomes the manager he is threatening to become or if the likes of tarky want to achieve great things then they have to leave our club.

Shame really

I think that infrastructure you are talking about is called money ;)

Shame really

They all moved to play at a higher level or for more money, or both. Apart from Baxter who we flogged.

Some might have gone sooner for more money if we were better equipped to develop them.

They all moved to play at a higher level or for more money, or both. Apart from Baxter who we flogged.

Some might have gone sooner for more money if we were better equipped to develop them.

True and that money could have gone back into the club to bring in better players to have a better team gaining more success excitement and fans

That's one aspect but I was angling more at the stadium which would bring that money in.

Even once the new stand is up and making us more money we'll struggle to compete with a Championship club offering them a slightly better deal.

The only thing in our favour over such a club is the promise of regular first team football.

True and that money could have gone back into the club to bring in better players to have a better team gaining more success excitement and fans

Yes, but most of those better players would still leave in a heartbeat to play at a higher level.

The division we're in would still be a problem even if we were loaded. Albeit not as much of a problem.

Edited by HarryBosch

Yes, but most of those better players would still leave in a heartbeat to play at a higher level.

The division we're in would still be a problem even if we were loaded. Albeit not as much of a problem.

We'll always be in a position where our better players will want to move on however I would like to think that if the club got its act together (and yes that would take more than 1 stand) that we could keep hold of a few more of them.

We have always been a selling club, even when in the top flight within 6 months we had cashed in on Earl Barrett and Paul Warhurst (the latter because of a fall out) and I have never blamed the club for cashing in on ANY player. The only issue I have is letting the player walk for nowt which unfortunately because of Bosman and the amount of agents flooding the game is more and more inevitable.

What we have done well historically, is when selling players on for a big profit we have brought in replacements at bargain basement prices and often they have surpassed the player they are replacing.

We'll always be in a position where our better players will want to move on however I would like to think that if the club got its act together (and yes that would take more than 1 stand) that we could keep hold of a few more of them.

Hopefully less so with Johnson in charge.

Getting them in on 2 year deals suggests they may be more likely to want to be part of building something than their predecessors were.

It should also see an end to them going for nowt as prozac says.

Candidate for funniest post of the year.

Yet again on here it is proven unless you are part of the members clique, you invariably get shot down for daring to have an opinion which may differ from yours or that of the majority.

You sir, along with other like-minded posters of this attitude are embarrassing.

Don't get me wrong, i don't dislike Taylor at all and if he came back at any point of course I would support him like any other player. However, purely from a performance perspective:

- The Taylor that did great under Shez and PD's first season? - yes

- The Taylor that was sluggish, stale and ineffectual in his final season with us? no

It is on the latter that i base my opinion. I also feel he lost his effectiveness by the time he left - cutting in from the left every time and being dispossessed; he was very predictable and easy to snuff out of games and was a bit of a passenger in the team towards the end. Even when he was back on the right wing occasionally, he just missed the spark that he once had previously and the final end product.

The Taylor of 'old' in this team would be great to have, absolutely, but the one that left us? No thanks - the current wingers are more than capable and offer more directness and variety when they attack.

That's my view, no issue that others disagree, go ahead.

Edited by shefflatic

Yet again on here it is proven unless you are part of the members clique, you invariably get shot down for daring to have an opinion which may differ from yours or that of the majority.

Please could you list the members of the clique, so we all know who they are.

Thanks.

You sir, along with other like-minded posters of this attitude are embarrassing.

Don't get me wrong, i don't dislike Taylor at all and if he came back at any point of course I would support him like any other player. However, purely from a performance perspective:

- The Taylor that was sluggish, stale and ineffectual in his final season with us? no

It is on the latter that i base my opinion. I also feel he lost his effectiveness by the time he left - cutting in from the left every time and being dispossessed; he was very predictable and easy to snuff out of games and was a bit of a passenger in the team towards the end. Even when he was back on the right wing occasionally, he just missed the spark that he once had previously and the final end product.

The Taylor of 'old' in this team would be great to have, absolutely, but the one that left us? No thanks - the current wingers are more than capable and offer more directness and variety when they attack.

You seem to be implying that Taylor only produced two decent seasons during his time at Latics. That ignores, for one example, the 10/11 season where he scored 11 league goals from midfield (and still people slagged him off). Do fancy any of the current crop to do that? 11/12 wasn't his best campaign but he still did enough to convince Jackett to take a punt on him and it paid off too.

I just can't believe we're still having this debate!

I'm part of no clique, and I thought your post was a load of bollocks...

You don't have to be part of a clique to know that anyone who thinks Montano is better than Taylor needs to give their head a firm wobble.

Yet again on here it is proven unless you are part of the members clique, you invariably get shot down for daring to have an opinion which may differ from yours or that of the majority

:censored:ssakes. If you think you're being shot down, then you clearly haven't been on the internet yet - and don't try any funny stuff or I'll get the secret society on you.

For the purposes of clarity it is time to name the clique.

(drum roll)

The members of the OWTB Anti-Bollocks Clique are:

Lee Sinnott

slystallone

24hoursfromtulsehill

garcon

Clique members please copy paste and add your name. Finally shefflatic and others will be able to sleep peacefully knowing precisely what clique they're not part of.

For the purposes of clarity it is time to name the clique.

(drum roll)

The members of the OWTB Anti-Bollocks Clique are:

Lee Sinnott

slystallone

24hoursfromtulsehill

garcon

Clique members please copy paste and add your name. Finally shefflatic and others will be able to sleep peacefully knowing precisely what clique they're not part of.

I actually don't think i've ever been happier. Ever.

I've arrived, finally!!!!

I've never been in a clique before.

Lovely stuff.