Alan Groves book

Looking forward to this;

Alan Groves Biography coming out 2014, the greatest player you never saw!

Below are 3 of the recent tweets, if anyone can help? Not sure who the author is though.

Alan GrovesBiography ‏@AlanGrovesBiog

Writing a biography of Alan Groves for 2014, any old stories or experiences with Alan pls get in touch

‏@AlanGrovesBiog

Anyone who witnessed Alan Groves playing, please do get in touch.

‏@AlanGrovesBiog

It's a long shot!... but is anyone aware of any surviving footage of Alan playing?

Not ot go off on a tangent, but what has happened to Droylsden? I noticed the table last night. Bottom the Evo Stick (division seve, i think). Is Pace still there? It been a long time since i visited.

Not sure myself think pace is back to being chairman but they lost 10-0 last week

Not sure myself think pace is back to being chairman but they lost 10-0 last week

Two consecutive years as division whipping boys doesn't bode well.

In the meantime and back to the topic of the thread - I hope the project comes to frution and I wouldcertainly buy a copy but I do think it's a bit much to post anonymously on Twitter without any indication of any serious credentials asking for help.

Bearing in mind such a publication is highly unlikely to be a bestseller I can't imagine this is anything other than a self published vanity project (that's not a dig by the way). Best of luck to whoever it is.

Not ot go off on a tangent, but what has happened to Droylsden? I noticed the table last night. Bottom the Evo Stick (division seve, i think). Is Pace still there? It been a long time since i visited.

Who is writing it?

by the way BP - what the heck has happened to Droyslden?

Droylsden have £280,000 of debt, £180,000 of which Pace has supposedly already paid. In the Tameside Advertiser today he said that he believed in paying back the debt rather than entering administration and writing off that debt, not honouring the money they owed, by forming a new club, in the process criticising Chester and Halifax for doing just that.

Pace's window firm struggled during the recession and he's lost a lot of the wealth that allowed him to make Droylsden successful over quite a few consecutive seasons that culminated in the season they were promoted to the Conference. From what is in the article it seems as though he is intent on taking them back to the Conference North after he's finished payment. But with the crowds they're currently getting I don't know whether that's really sustainable...

• 2 weeks later...

No. When people remember Groves they're also remembering the '70's, which, in a way, he epitomised.

On his day he was brilliant, but in truth, he came, frustrated / blew away the fans in equal measure, stayed for a short while then couldn't leave quickly enough.

There was quite a lot of acrimony when he left. There was a testimonial for Debbie at Boundary Park after he died and a large section of the Chaddy took to chanting 'Alan Groves sh@gs schoolgirls'.

Not a shadow on Roger Palmer and many others (in terms of his contribution to the club). But a fantastic entertainer none the less.

Was he as good as Harry Redknapps makes out?

On his day unstoppable, but I remember talking to him about ankle problem which troubled him consistently and may have prevented him from always giving his best.

If you had seen the number of times during every match he was whacked on that ankle its no surprise he would often have been playing in a lot of pain

Just saying it how I remembered it, OldHallam, - and adding my memories to the collective pot.

I do think that he had an extraordinary talent, My point is that, perhaps, he's been just a tad over-elevated in status because his period coincided with our glorious rise from division 4 - which in turn coincides with many a 50 something's fondly remembered youth. As for acrimony - well, maybe the word was badly chosen, but a lot of fans did feel he'd betrayed them when he signed for Blackpool.

Just saying it how I remembered it, OldHallam, - and adding my memories to the collective pot.

I do think that he had an extraordinary talent, My point is that, perhaps, he's been just a tad over-elevated in status because his period coincided with our glorious rise from division 4 - which in turn coincides with many a 50 something's fondly remembered youth. As for acrimony - well, maybe the word was badly chosen, but a lot of fans did feel he'd betrayed them when he signed for Blackpool.

The place we were at when Groves arrived was a middling 3rd division, we needed a spark, I was tempted to say genius but Groves wasn't that, what he seemed to give the club and the fans was an energy, you must have seen him play, every time he picked the ball up you must have been excited because a piece of magic may have been about to unfold. As for betrayal, never, we all move on in life. cest la vie.

Agree he was a catalyst and yes, he caused a stir when he got the ball, in a way he was our Georgie best. I never once thought his move a betrayal, but I can quite clearly remember some dissent and disillusionment amongst fans prior to his leaving (when he was out of the team due to injury) and upon his signing for Blackpool. Again, I'm not trying to rewrite history, just that as I remember it, it wasn't all roses.

Kudos to OldHallam, - you were able to see Groves at close quarters in his private life and your recollections are genuinely interesting - my vague souvenirs are in no way aimed at contradicting anything you have written.

I have more recollection of being thrilled by Stainrod's play to be honest - I think I may have matured somewhat by then - I was 15 when Groves left.

Agree he was a catalyst and yes, he caused a stir when he got the ball, in a way he was our Georgie best. I never once thought his move a betrayal, but I can quite clearly remember some dissent and disillusionment amongst fans prior to his leaving (when he was out of the team due to injury) and upon his signing for Blackpool. Again, I'm not trying to rewrite history, just that as I remember it, it wasn't all roses.

Kudos to OldHallam, - you were able to see Groves at close quarters in his private life and your recollections are genuinely interesting - my vague souvenirs are in no way aimed at contradicting anything you have written.

I have more recollection of being thrilled by Stainrod's play to be honest - I think I may have matured somewhat by then - I was 15 when Groves left.

Stainrod was possibly the 2nd most entertaining player I have seen for Latics, but he was a much better team player than Groves. It is always difficult to compare different players in separate eras, but if asked to choose between them both it comes to Groves every time.