Same again please...

Nottingham Forest 2 - 3 Oldham Athletic

The romance of the FA Cup is alive and well at Boundary Park thanks to a balance-boosting weekend that could net cash-strapped Oldham Athletic more than £300,000.

After sensationally knocking Championship heavyweights Nottingham Forest out of the competition with a shock victory, Latics were rewarded with a home tie against the mighty Liverpool.

And having already banked around £100,000 from the unlikely City Ground triumph chairman Simon Corney believes the glamour tie with Brendan Rodgers’ side has a strong chance of being televised live – earning them another £120,000 plus gate receipts from what is sure to be a sell-out.

The long-suffering Oldham supremo revealed to M.E.N. Sport he is even considering bringing in a temporary stand to boost the 10,638 capacity at the three-sided ground.

A beaming Corney said: “It will be a great day for the fans and a great day for the town of Oldham and I couldn’t be happier.

“We’ll look at bringing in a temporary stand if health and safety regulations will allow it and if it makes financial sense.”

The chairman, who last week oversaw a clear out of Paul Dickov’s backroom staff, added that the manager may now be permitted to enter the transfer market as they look to improve their League One form.

“It’s been a great end to a hard week,” he said.

“We’ll be measured with the money but it’s only fair we help the manager.”

The win at Forest was one of those rare occasions which make everything worthwhile for fans of lower league clubs.

In seven mythical, magical second-half minutes, the League One strugglers somehow morphed into the mighty Barcelona, blasting three unanswered strikes into their more
illustrious opponent’s net. This was not your typical smash and grab giant-killing fayre as the home side were pegged back time and time again by the suddenly bloodthirsty blue hoardes.

First, Robbie Simpson cracked an unstoppable 25-yard thunderbolt to cancel out the unfortunate Matt Smith’s first-half own goal.

Moments later the rejuvenated Simpson, finally back to match fitness after a series of niggles, somehow managed to contort himself into a position to head captain Dean Furman’s cross over Forest keeper Lee Camp and under the bar.

Could it get any better for the delirious, disbelieving 3,000 away fans? Yes, it could.

With the home side still reeling, Smith then latched onto a glorious through ball from stylish left-back Jonathan Grounds leaving Forest skipper Danny Collins, the last man, with little option other than to pull the giant striker down on the edge of the box.

The red-carded Collins had hardly reached the dugout before Jose Baxter immaculately struck the resulting free-kick into the bottom corner. Using their extra man advantage, rampant Oldham almost made it four when midfielder Youssouf M’Changama’s curling effort from distance was tipped wide as time ticked away.

That sub Billy Sharp eventually reduced the arrears with almost the last kick of the game did not matter – this was a day that will long in the memory of every Latic fanatic.

Dickov himself was equally euphoric. “I am proud of the club and the players,” he said.

“We have shown what we can do. I thought we were guilty of showing Forest too much respect in the first half but I said to them at half-time, ‘It’s the FA Cup and if you are going to go out, don’t go out with a whimper’.

OLDHAM: Bouzanis 7, Wabara 8, Byrne 8, Mvoto 8, Grounds 8, Croft 8 (Millar 90), Furman 8, Simpson 8 (Taylor 81, 6), M’Changama 8, Baxter 9, Smith 8. Not used: Cisak, Brown, Tarkowski, Winchester.

In seven mythical, magical second-half minutes, the League One strugglers somehow morphed into the mighty Barcelona, blasting three unanswered strikes into their more illustrious opponent’s net. This was not your typical smash and grab giant-killing fayre as the home side were pegged back time and time again by the suddenly bloodthirsty blue hoardes.

A Preston fan compared Latics to Barcelona in the Paint Pot game.

If only the players became bloodthirsty more often.

Those seven minutes at the City Ground were incredible. We had some unbelievable moments later in the run but for those seven minutes Forest just couldn't handle us at all.

Agree, from the sheer disappointment of our display in the first half to pure euphoria all in seven minutes, that day couldn't have panned out any better.

Ripped all the Highlights from Youtube onto my Mac last season, just watched the whole journey back - what a ride!

I hope we don't get an anti-climax tomorrow but it is a tough game. Much tougher than the Donny game in the 2nd round but we've nothing to lose go out and play with the freedom we did throughout the run last season and who knows?

Ripped all the Highlights from Youtube onto my Mac last season, just watched the whole journey back - what a ride!

I hope we don't get an anti-climax tomorrow but it is a tough game. Much tougher than the Donny game in the 2nd round but we've nothing to lose go out and play with the freedom we did throughout the run last season and who knows?

Last year was even stranger considering our league form.

In terms of results and points gained it's worse this season - we're 2 points worse off than at this stage last season. So you never know....

Aye, but weren't we on the back of 10 league games without a win when we played Liverpool or something like that?

Will wolves be going for it though?

It's a possibility they could well just concentrate on the league they are in the unique position of not needing the money due to the parachute payments perhaps they will give a chance to some of their squad players who they will be looking to ship out the door anyway?

Will wolves be going for it though?

It's a possibility they could well just concentrate on the league they are in the unique position of not needing the money due to the parachute payments perhaps they will give a chance to some of their squad players who they will be looking to ship out the door anyway?

But their squad players are Doyle, o'Hara et al.

By the looks of this tie, you'd think it would be similar to when Leeds turned up and burned us a few years back.

But if they really arent up for it, like the JPT, where they had no interest then the victory is there for us, just gotta go out there and give it them.

"...it's two-on-two here...Croft on the ball for Oldham...goes to for the shot OBITAAAAAAAAAAAAA!!!!! They're at it again!..."

The commentary that will stick with me for a long time.

So will this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7gGOpzLeNFM

And this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UPNvpybPxB4

"...it's two-on-two here...Croft on the ball for Oldham...goes to for the shot OBITAAAAAAAAAAAAA!!!!! They're at it again!..."

So will this:

And this:

The Five Live commentary of the Everton game was better, gutted I didn't save it when I had the chance!

Watched them all back again many times. After one of the matches, Adrian Chiles says something along the lines of : "You'll have to forgive us because we've all got a bit of man love for Oldham Athletic right now..."

Forest, Liverpool and Everton were three of the greatest days of my life...

The Forest win was fantastic.

The Liverpool win was surreal. Didn't quite sink in.

The second half atmosphere at BP for the Everton game was everything a football fan could ask for and so much more. And while I wasn't in the town when a more important goal was scored two decades and more ago I think I can safely say I have never enjoyed a footballing moment more than Matt Smith's equaliser that night.

Can't wait for today. We owe them for the penalty Porter should have had when the scores were level in that replay a few years ago.

Commentary on Matt Smith's equaliser v Everton:

http://m.soundcloud.com/mart2072/matt-smith-v-everton-2013-02

That's just beautiful.

Edited by opinions4u

Aye, but weren't we on the back of 10 league games without a win when we played Liverpool or something like that?

"Oldham are in their worst form of the season....Liverpool are in their best...." ITV's commentary just before the game.

But their squad players are Doyle, o'Hara et al.

Quality players, but players who don't want to be at Wolves. Jamie O'Hara's only just been allowed to start training with the first team again after his strop over the summer. Catch them on an off day when they're in a sulk and not up for it, and who knows?

So will this:

And this:

Anyone who was in the crowd at Forest that day, must still tingle when they see these videos, the feeling of knowing Jose was going to score and then the euphoria after, priceless moments, as said before it is what keeps us coming back for more.