Steely Latics find a way over the line

Make no bones about it, we were poor for the first half an hour - as bad as we have been for quite some time. Passes went astray, players going for the same ball and the easy option of lumping it to the lollipop guild in attack was getting us nowhere. When the goal arrived it had been coming, The centre backs went for the same ball and Ugwu volleyed in the ground and it looped into the far corner. 1-0 down and deservedly so. We were struggling to gain any real possession of note and I don't really want to hammer a kid in his second ever appearance but young Petrasso looked well out of his depth and so lightweight he was making James Dayton look like Jonah Lomu. Something had to give and thankfully the manager had the balls to make the common sense change of getting a presence up top. Clarke-Harris may not be able to manage three games in a week but simply him giving whatever he had would surely improve the situation? It did and markedly so, within a minute we had had three attempts in quick succession blocked on their goal line and the Shrewsbury defence who had previously been quaffing brandy and cigars suddenly had a game to play in.

Right on half-time Rodgers who had looked well off the pace played a superb through ball that split their defence wide open. Quick as a flash MacDonald was onto to it knocked it past Weale into the corner and wheeled away in celebration, well before the ball nestled into the net. From nowhere we were back into it and had a platform at half-time to build on.

Just as at Priestfield on Saturday the team came out with renewed vigour in the second half and immediately looked more threatening. we were getting in behind more and both Danny Philliskirk and Jonson Clarke-Harris were having a lot of joy in the channels. MacDonald was holding the ball well centrally and although the goalkeeper was not being overworked our ball retention in their half was much more pleasing. Anton Rodgers and James Dayton were switched for Sidney Schmeltz and James Wesolowski with Wes tightening the midfield (yet playing a surprising amount of forward passes) and Schmeltz giving Shrewsbury much more to think about down their right (our left). The turning point and the moment that truly swayed the game our way was a loose ball breaking to a Shrewsbury player 10 yards out, it looked a goal all over before David Mellor came from nowhere with a fabulous block that kept us level. Shortly after a quick break down the left saw Charlie MacDonald smartly pull the ball back to Danny Philliskirk who shaped and arrowed the ball into the far corner - the goalkeeper had no chance and Phillskirk made it look so easy. It really was a calm and clinical finish.

By now Clarke-Harris was struggling he could barely walk, never mind raise one of galloping runs - MacDonald had taken some of the burden by allowing him to drift centrally (JCH) whilst MacDonald undertook the donkey work of the channels along with Philliskirk. Like Saturday the opposition huffed and puffed but there was little drama and after a 10-15 minute breather Clarke-Harris found a reserve from somewhere and finished the game quite strongly. He'll benefit from the extra days recovery in time for Sunday I'm sure.

Oxley - His kicking was dreadful all night, in his defence I think there was a cold cross wind tonight, it felt far colder in the ground than outside. A couple of decent saves and One or two other iffy moments but no chance with the goal. 6.5

Lanzoni - Fairly assured, stayed back mostly to keep an eye on their wide man 7

Tarky - One great run, won most headers 7

Grounds - Mostly ok, not quite up to Saturday as he was part of the mix up for the goal. Needs to trust Mellor on the left more, getting constantly involved is dragging himself out of position with which he was leaving a gap in behind 6

Melllor - First 10-15 minutes they targeted him, one or two nervy moments but he grew into the game like he so often does. Always looked to play out of defence and probe with forward passes. Fantastic goal saving block and was pushing on throughout the second half 7

Dayton - Less effective than he has been recently, subbed with what looked to be a knock 6

Rodgers - Average, and not up to the standard of his last couple of appearances but found a wonder pass from nowhere to set up Charlie Mac's equaliser 6

Smith - Another one of those games where he sat in, conceded too much territory at times but always talking to his mates 6

Petrasso - Looked well off it, not overly involved and when he was he was either offside or lost possession. Don't want to slate the lad and I'm sure he's a great prospect but failing to see it so far. 4

Philliskirk - Poor first half due to our tactic of lumping, second half ran the show with his ability to find space and keep the ball. Great finish 8

MacDonald - What a shift! A right royal pain in the arse, didn't give the Shrewsbury defenders a moment's peace once JCH entered the fray. He then lightened the load intelligently when all our subs had been made and JCH was badly flagging, The cherry on top was a clinical finish that dragged us kicking and screaming into the half-time break undeservedly level. 9 (My MOM)

Subs:

JCH - Changed the game, Shrewsbury suddenly were in a game, yes he flagged badly but late on found reserves from somewhere to help us over the line. 7

Wes - Tightened up and reinforced the midfield, retained and regained possession well. Typical Wes 7

Schmeltz - Great option in giving the opposition something to worry about. Couple of barnstorming runs then late on,intelligently headed for the corner to help see the game out. 7

We simply found a way to win tonight and that is no bad thing, I'm in no doubt we would have lost both the last two games a year ago - the boldness of the manager to change tonight when it clearly wasn't working won us that game as did our strength in depth from the bench tonight and on Saturday. We'll take it one game at a time though but the momentum is growing. We're tighter in defence, the goals are flowing and there's a steely resolve developing....

Edited by oafcprozac

I think you were a bit harsh on oxley, at 2-1 he made a match winning save tipping it round the post and held onto a few shots which he could easily have parried and no one would have blamed him for. Other than that pretty spot on. Charlie mac was immense, and LDJ is a tactical genius

Id agree with most of that except I thought Lanzoni was the only one of our back 4 to have a consistant night. First 30, the other 3 were all over the shop.

2nd half - all the back 4 were excellent.

Charlie Mac, easily MOM. Workrate and being pain, doesn't impress me too much. What does is having the brains to use it. Great composure twice to score & pick out Danny P for the 2nd. Coupled with the workrate - great performance from him.

! Must have been watching a different game , thought Lanzoni was extremely poor last night, wondered about as though it was his first ever game , hardly won a tackle and little or no support going forward.

1st 30 min was dire and the number of times both their wingers had room to cross was worrying.

Fortunately Tarky and Grounds stood up well to deal with them.

Although Mellor got better as the game went on it was only after Weso came on and was covering him a lot that enabled him to get a foot hold in the 2nd half.

Teams obviously target him as a weak link and we need to support that side better if he has to play LB again.

Great response by LJ to make early changes when it clearly wasn't working and a great ugly win shows what a good spirit is being built in the side.

Only comment i would argue with on Prozac's views was Oxley's kicking.
WIND - what wind , the only wind about last night was the one coming from the guy near me who had a curry pie !!!!!

Edited by losesome

Most of your ratings are fair, no disagreement.

However I do think you greatly overs ored Mellor. He was targeted as a weak link in the first half, got aight out of position on several occasions, his distribution was probably only50% to a pink shirt and his first touch - well he can trap a ball further than most an kick it.

Yes, better in the second half but no more than a 6 after dire first 45 mins

Oxley had a decent game, made some good stops. as for his kicking, it was interesting that the Shrews keeper had exactly the same problems in the Escondido half at the same end.

Edit second half :)

Edited by LaticsPete

Most of your ratings are fair, no disagreement.

However I do think you greatly overs ored Mellor. He was targeted as a weak link in the first half, got aight out of position on several occasions, his distribution was probably only50% to a pink shirt and his first touch - well he can trap a ball further than most an kick it.

Yes, better in the second half but no more than a 6 after dire first 45 mins

Oxley had a decent game, made some good stops. as for his kicking, it was interesting that the Shrews keeper had exactly the same problems in the Escondido half at the same end.

speedy_gonzales_02_800x600.jpg

! Must have been watching a different game , thought Lanzoni was extremely poor last night, wondered about as though it was his first ever game , hardly won a tackle and little or no support going forward.

Unfortunately tarky and grounds were responsible for their goal.thought grounds' distribution was dodgy in the first half. Overall though great result can't complain we would have lost this in recent years.

1st 30 min was dire and the number of times both their wingers had room to cross was worrying.

Fortunately Tarky and Grounds stood up well to deal with them.

Although Mellor got better as the game went on it was only after Weso came on and was covering him a lot that enabled him to get a foot hold in the 2nd half.

Teams obviously target him as a weak link and we need to support that side better if he has to play LB again.

Great response by LJ to make early changes when it clearly wasn't working and a great ugly win shows what a good spirit is being built in the side.

Only comment i would argue with on Prozac's views was Oxley's kicking.

WIND - what wind , the only wind about last night was the one coming from the guy near me who had a curry pie !!!!!

I'm slightly worried about our options on the wing for Bradford. Prozac, then Johnson confirmed that Petrasso might not be ready yet for this level, Montano's out, Dayton's injured and Schmeltz is an impact sub at best, certainly not providing enough cover on the wing which is especially needed against Bradford who have some good wingers.

So it's either Petrasso, Schmeltz or Millar. That is definitely concerning.

I like us being "steely".

Seems odd that such a young lad as Clarke-Harris should be so visibly knackered.

Is he still growing or something like that? - I remember Steven Gerrard having problems along those lines when he first started.

A couple of weeks ago Johnson said that he struggles with 3 games in a week because he's built like a sprinter, so struggles to build up enough stamina to put 100% in then recover within a few days.

A couple of weeks ago Johnson said that he struggles with 3 games in a week because he's built like a sprinter, so struggles to build up enough stamina to put 100% in then recover within a few days.

Rude medic will know if that's generally the case with sprinter type builds.

I'm slightly worried about our options on the wing for Bradford. Prozac, then Johnson confirmed that Petrasso might not be ready yet for this level, Montano's out, Dayton's injured and Schmeltz is an impact sub at best, certainly not providing enough cover on the wing which is especially needed against Bradford who have some good wingers.

So it's either Petrasso, Schmeltz or Millar. That is definitely concerning.

:censored: their wingers, were the home team, play Schmeltz and let them :censored: themselves from us.

:censored: their wingers, were the home team, play Schmeltz and let them :censored: themselves from us.

This a thousand times. Schmeltz is certainly one of those players that can frustrate fans, particularly defensively, but we've seen already this season that he scares teams. If he's on the wing opposition full backs will think twice about getting too far forward in support of their own wingers. And we saw last night that if we do get overrun down the wing Johnson won't be afraid to change it early on.

I am convinced one game it will all come together and Schmeltz is gunna rip someone a new one.

Not saying it will last, but I think he will do it. Typical winger

He did against Tranmere, unfortunately the rest of the team were unable to capitalise. Let's hope he does it again and the whole team reap the rewards.

This a thousand times. Schmeltz is certainly one of those players that can frustrate fans, particularly defensively, but we've seen already this season that he scares teams. If he's on the wing opposition full backs will think twice about getting too far forward in support of their own wingers. And we saw last night that if we do get overrun down the wing Johnson won't be afraid to change it early on.

In my days in the Oldham Sunday League, whenever we told a winger to get back and help defensively, there was only ever 1 reply, 'Not my effing job!'

We soon concluded that it was best if they never ever came near to our own penalty area! Get Sidney on and tell him to hit the bye line every time.

In my days in the Oldham Sunday League, whenever we told a winger to get back and help defensively, there was only ever 1 reply, 'Not my effing job!'

We soon concluded that it was best if they never ever came near to our own penalty area! Get Sidney on and tell him to hit the bye line every time.

Exactly! Defence is the best form of attack...at least at home and with our style of play.

Are we playing in the Oldham Sunday League now? I knew this recent run was too good to be true.

Dayton took a nasty foul last night way after he had crossed the ball.

It was so late the ref was looking over the over side to where he had crossed it.

Yellow card at least should have been dished out.

Hopefully he will recover in time because we need those wing backs to protect the full backs who

just don't fill me with confidence at the moment.

Think LJ's comments on the new lad are probably right , looked like a rabbit caught in the headlights last night.