Sport commentators

Whilst Townsend, Claridge and Beagrie are in the mix, you can look no further than Garth Crooks for worst pundit. Truly, truly woeful. If you've ever had the misfortune of reading his team-of-the-week on BBC Sport's football sub-website you'd know just how non-knowledgable he is. It's a wonder he's still in employment at the expense of the taxpayer. A waste of pixels, that chap.

Garth Crooks is that bad, I really like him. I also watched him almost assault Mark Bright live on air once, which was brilliant:

An other piece of his "punditry":

http://www.whoateallthepies.tv/videos/134110/bbc-pundit-garth-crooks-admires-brazils-revolutionary-4-2-1-3-1-formation-video.html

Edited by pukka

For football, it has to be Guy Mowbray for me with Clive Tyldesley a decent second. Steve Wilson is pretty good too. In cricket no one can match Bumble with Shane Warne up there as well, plus Michael Holding et al. In the studio, does Bob Willis send anyone else to sleep?

Sid Waddell was brilliant with darts. I used to like Clive Everton for snooker, but I never really got into Ted Lowe if you'll pardon the expression. As for rugby, race horsing and Formula 1, I haven't a clue as I cant stand any of 'em.

Now for a bit of controversy; I never thought much of the late Brian Moore's football commentaries, although many regarded him as the best. He made so many mistakes, it was untrue. I recall him commentating on an England match against (I think) France or Holland and he commented on a free kick to Denmark!

There's been a re-run of games from the 70s recently on ITV4 or some such channel and some of the commentaries were so amateurish. There was an incredible use of the word "beautiful" in connection with passes, goals, saves etc. In one match highlight, I counted 14 "beautifuls" in less than 10 minutes from Mr Moore.

• 3 weeks later...

Big fan of Pat Nevin myself. But, and he's probably a bit Marmite for most but I quite like Jonathan Pearce. His enthusiasm really comes through. Also quite like Robbie Earle and Alan Smith as co-comentators. As others have said, Sky have it bang on for cricket commentators (Bob Willis aside) And TMS too, a superb balance of old-Skool (Boycott, Blowers), experts (Aggers) and humour (Tuffers).

The classics: Brian Moore ("It's up for grabs Nowwww!"), Motson (in his pomp, he needs retiring now), David Coleman (Entirely who Alan Partridge was based on) and Martin Tyler (Distinctive and a Sky staple).

Can't stand Alan Green (Ugh), Tyldsley (embarrassing) and Bob Willis (boring). And just about all ITV commentators and co-commentators are terrible.

Edited by Frankly Mr Shankly

Brian Johnson was an excellent cricket commentator, his love of the game and great sense of humour shone through - including some great gaffes like;

“Wel­come to Leicester where the cap­tain Ray Illing­worth has just relieved him­self at the Pavil­ion End“

“There’s Neil Har­vey stand­ing at leg slip with his legs wide apart, wait­ing for a tickle.“

but he always denied saying this one;

“The bowler’s Hold­ing the batsman’s Wil­ley“

Edited by BP1960

Brian Johnson was an excellent cricket commentator, his love of the game and great sense of humour shone through - including some great gaffes like;

“Wel­come to Leicester where the cap­tain Ray Illing­worth has just relieved him­self at the Pavil­ion End“

“There’s Neil Har­vey stand­ing at leg slip with his legs wide apart, wait­ing for a tickle.“

but he always denied saying this one;

“The bowler’s Hold­ing the batsman’s Wil­ley“

And an absolute cracker from Brian Johnstone was when Proctor, batting for South Africa copped one in the box off the 5th ball of the over. After extensive attention to Proctor's nether regions, he stood up rather gingerly and took up his stance to face the bowling again. Brian Johnstone commentated, "Proctor's OK. He'll carry on. One ball left"