Latics 1-0 Stevenage: post match reaction

• Replies 129
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Special shout out to Dave mellor.........my man of the match

Well done

And although I hate to say it.....we are missing a morais player In the ranks....bugger

What happened re their player being sent off...did JCH milk it? But I think the Lino made the decision in the end for it to be a red

Edited by underdog

It was never going to be pretty with that Clown back as their Manager.Must admit I was a bit worried at half time that,we didnt do enough to push for a second and I thought they might muscle us out of the game and sneak one in the second half. Still think we need a couple more players in to compete week in week out.

However,could be worse,we could have Westley as Manager,Mr.Anti-Football.

Sending off was a kick out off the ball. Lino gave it. Looked a red to me. I don't think JCH milked it but that was as poor a performance as I've seen from him all season. He should gave come off long before the sending off.

The goal was a thing of beauty and we should be getting any more of those crosses into the box during a game. Love Wes scoring a header against that lot!

A lot of indifferent performances today. Mellor, Wes, Harkin and to a lesser extent Philliskirk (who should have had a penalty) were ok but the rest below par. Too many times our ball into the channels was misplaced when opportunity arose.

Still, a win is a win. Another one on Tuesday please.

Got the result , but one up front as ineffective as Clarke- Harris always gave the feeling it could all go pear shaped.

This was the feeling I got when he said Harkins was a Baxter-esq number 10.

Two up top needed for me, especially with the four or five strikers he has to choose from.

Pretty poor display again but we finally scored the first goal and Stevenage never looked like threatening.

Mellor definitely my MOTM, Wes and Harkins the other two that impressed.

Not sure why LJ persisted with JCH for the best part of 90 minutes though, it looked obvious early on he was going to have an off day. I would have liked to see Rooney/MacDonald come on and play off Harkins!

This was the feeling I got when he said Harkins was a Baxter-esq number 10.

Two up top needed for me, especially with the four or five strikers he has to choose from.

I Agree. Wasn't enough to have JCH upfront on his own. However who do you leave out to achieve this from midfield? Harkins solid. Smith is Smith and Wes is quality. Philly can be dangerous and Patts is growing all the time, and I don't think 3 across the back will work... Decisions Decisions eh??? Edited by IOWA1984

I Agree. Wasn't enough to have JCH upfront on his own. However who do you leave out to achieve this from midfield? Harkins solid. Smith is Smith and Wes is quality. Philly can be dangerous and Patts is growing all the time, and I don't think 3 across the back will work... Decisions Decisions eh???

We've got the Baxter problem once again. Striker? Attacking Midfielder?

I want two wingers on the pitch whipping balls in for Rooney and Phili or Rooney and Macca or Rooney and JCH or any combination of the four.

4-4-2.

I was getting pissed of with Baxter because we couldn't play that way and rightly or wrongly I'm already getting pissed of with Harkins because of it.

I've been happy with our setup so far this season, even playing Tarky as a holding midfielder at Shef Utd and Cov, but don't start dicking around upfront when we've got four decent striker fit for once.

Rant over.

Edited by blueatheart

their free kick techniques were worth the entrance fee, absolutely hilarious! what the feck was that one where they put a wall infront of ours?? hahahahahaha

Oh it was magnificent wasn't it I take it the dustbins don't move in training and the other one where they went wide and gave away a free kick.

Perhaps if they had spent time in training actually learning how to pass to each other they might not be rooted to the foot of the table.

Positives

- A clean sheet

- a first league goal from one of our centre mids (they've done everythingelse right this season except get on the scoresheet more often)

- Harkins good performance

- David Mellor now is the time for him to have an extended run in the team

- 3 points.

A far from convincing victory but we did enough to get the job done.

Edited by GlossopLatic

I want two wingers on the pitch whipping balls in for Rooney and Phili or Rooney and Macca or Rooney and JCH or any combination of the four.

4-4-2.

I was getting pissed of with Baxter because we couldn't play that way and rightly or wrongly I'm already getting pissed of with Harkins because of it.

I've been happy with our setup so far this season, even playing Tarky as a holding midfielder at Shef Utd and Cov, but don't start dicking around upfront when we've got four decent striker fit for once.

Rant over.

...And breathe Blueheart!!! Ha ha. I agree with you in some ways there as I prefer wing play like today with our goal. I think Harkins in the hole will work better against the more technical sides in this league and not the cloggers like Stevenage as the just stop you from playing and causes 'hoof wars'. Just think LJ needs to perfect it a bit.

Strange game with a bit more luck they might have won it. Was PM cross/shot over the line?

First half they were getting down the flanks well but they didnt have the quality of delivery to really trouble us. PM did everything right but too often his final ball was lacking so he hasnt imrpoved any. 2nd half Mellor really played against him well and the threat was snuffed out. How bad was thier number 24 when he came on??? dire. Even though we were well on top 2nd half we still didnt create many chances

Defense were largely OK one the full backs got to grips with the wingers. Did Grounds loose a header or tackle today? Tarky wonderd into a 3 on 1 siuation which was a bit stupid and gave thier guy a free header first half but did the rest of his defensive duties well enough.

DP is wasted on the wings.

Petrasso looked a threat when we got him in the game but it didnt happen enough

JCH as bad a performance as you will see from a forward - shouldnt have lasted as long as he did

Harkin some nice touches but often it was one too many - does offfer something different

Wes - Outstanding - passing wasnt always geat but a real terrior in the middle and Korey did his usual cover every blade of grass job.

Edited by bluehobbit

4-4-2.

Rant over.

Philli is as much a part of the question as Harkins.From what we have I'd look at an attacking three behind McD or JCH. Not convinced we have the providers or the finishers for wing play and crashing CF headers. We have enough clever inside forwards in Philli, Harkins, Petrasso (not an out and out winger), Dayton,Millar

Exactly what we needed after the Liverpool game, a gritty 1-0 win against a physical league one side. They were excellent as an in your face, high tempo, gnarly destructive lower league side that we usually come unstuck against but we shaded it today, just. The first thing we did was keep our composure and played our game, Harkins really helped here by being a more experienced Baxter type player and seems to have fitted in already. A few of our players have little tricks and flicks in them but learning to do them at the right time is something they haven't learned yet, but they will do.

Delighted for Wes, he has deserved more goals than that this season, one of our best players. Mellor again got better as the game went on, hopefully he will get a run of games and learn to start minute 1 as well as minute 61.

Nice sitting back in the warm with 3 points in the bag on a Saturday evening.

I thought after Morais had put in his fourth cross in the the first fifteen minutes Stevenage targeted Mellor as our weak link as other teams have done this season.At times it seemed Morais just had to draw Mellor towards him before taking it past him and delivering the cross.Fair play to Mellor in the second half,he wasn't being done as easily and as often.

Philli is as much a part of the question as Harkins.From what we have I'd look at an attacking three behind McD or JCH. Not convinced we have the providers or the finishers for wing play and crashing CF headers. We have enough clever inside forwards in Philli, Harkins, Petrasso (not an out and out winger), Dayton,Millar

We have one of those but LJ has sent him out on loan having never given him a proper run in the team

Like he has with Millar, ever think to try Sidney as a striker or attacking midfielder where his tendancy to not defend can be accommodated.......?

We have one of those but LJ has sent him out on loan having never given him a proper run in the team

Like he has with Millar, ever think to try Sidney as a striker or attacking midfielder where his tendancy to not defend can be accommodated.......?

Have you never seen him shoot?

I'd have loved to have seen this board if LJ had ever tried playing him as a striker.

The most simple solution would have been if he'd defended properly. Why accomodate him up front when we have actual strikers who will play for the good of the team not just themselves?

Despite not having given him a run (over 20 games, albeit many as sub) the manager sees Schmeltz as culpable for 8 goals conceded.

Playing him in a more central role wouldn't help him.