The Tactical Head Injury

Neither of tonight's head injuries were genuine.

What can be done to stop this blatant abuse of the requirement for the referee to stop the game, without endangering players who have a genuine head injury?

Oh, and if we want to compete a drop ball we should be allowed to do so.

What can you do about it, after the ref stopped play it was obvious, I suppose the ref could book them for ungentlemanly conduct, if you cant beat em, join em . Damm frustrating and LJ even had a go at Wes after he gave them the ball back after he told Grounds to keep it.

Neither of tonight's head injuries were genuine.

What can be done to stop this blatant abuse of the requirement for the referee to stop the game, without endangering players who have a genuine head injury?

Oh, and if we want to compete a drop ball we should be allowed to do so.

As a ref, if I even suspect a head injury I'm going to stop play... Much rather break up play for no reason than have a guy lying there with a genuinely injury without treatment for a second longer than he has to.

And there's no Law saying that teams can't compete drop balls, just considered good sportsmanship so most teams comply.

As a ref, if I even suspect a head injury I'm going to stop play... Much rather break up play for no reason than have a guy lying there with a genuinely injury without treatment for a second longer than he has to.

And there's no Law saying that teams can't compete drop balls, just considered good sportsmanship so most teams comply.

Drop balls should be contested, it is a great opportunity to kick f**k out of somebodys shin.

An easy solution is to ensure that every player who goes off with a head injury has to complete the short assessment they have in Rugby before they can go back on, keeps genuine ones safe and stops non-genuine ones.

Good idea for the professional game but frankly I wouldn't trust the Under 14s coach to conduct a thorough neuro exam at the level I ref at!

An easy solution is to ensure that every player who goes off with a head injury has to complete the short assessment they have in Rugby before they can go back on, keeps genuine ones safe and stops non-genuine ones.

Agree with this 100%.....i'm sick of players going off, ball being booted back to Oxley and before we get the ball back in their half, the player who had a major injury is back on in position fresh as a daisy....killing any momentum we had going forward!

Good idea for the professional game but frankly I wouldn't trust the Under 14s coach to conduct a thorough neuro exam at the level I ref at!

Neither would I, but most of the questions are stuff anyone who is OK can tell you, like what day is it, what's the score, who are we playing etc.

It doesn't need introducing at that level, any doubt and the player comes off and any ref should stop the game if they suspect a head injury.

I wasn't expecting a solution to the question. So simple too.

This is probably the best way to stop it. Or perhaps let the physio come on while play continues like in Rugby. The ref acknowledges the possible head injury, waves the physio on and stops the game at the next break in play. Then the player must go off and complete an assessment like rudemedic suggests

When a player goes down injured they should be moved off the pitch for treatment unless they need to be stretchered off.

There's no need to be sitting in the six yard box sipping Lucozade whilst the physio gives you a stroke (so to speak).

While we're on about time wasting... why the :censored: are goalkeepers allowed to take the goal kick from the opposite side of the box the where the ball went out of play?

You can't do it for a corner, so why do they get away with it!

While we're on about time wasting... why the :censored: are goalkeepers allowed to take the goal kick from the opposite side of the box the where the ball went out of play?

You can't do it for a corner, so why do they get away with it!

It's in the rules. Perhaps the refs should cotton on to this easy method of wasting time a bit more readily. Didn't that GK go straight out of play before the halfway line anyway? Edited by rudemedic

When a player goes down injured they should be moved off the pitch for treatment unless they need to be stretchered off.

There's no need to be sitting in the six yard box sipping Lucozade whilst the physio gives you a stroke (so to speak).

I thought any treatment given had to be done so off the pitch, wasn't sure whether it was just one of those things that isn't really enforced...

Edited by tangerinedreams

I had an idea the other week, if a player has to go off for treatment then the player that caused the treatment should also go off until they are both called back on by the ref. The idea of the "go off after treatment" was to stop the feigning injury we are discussing here. But we have all seen cases where the player is injured and to me it isn't fair that a player is nobbled and then his team is disadvantaged by the offending team having 11 men on the pitch.

Absolute fantastic idea - could I add that, before they go back on, they should be assessed properly at the Royal A&E and made to sit in the waiting room for however long it takes. Ownership of a can Ralex and a Physiotherapy Certificate from the University of Gabon is no qualification for determining the extent of brain damage imparted by an unrestrained shirt sleeve.