Undisclosed fees

Just wondering why people get so upset about fees not being in the public domain? If I was buying a car, I wouldn't want the guy who I was buying it off knowing how much cash I had while we were negotiating.

Just wondering why people feel the club should publish details? Is it a lack of trust of Corney or just curiosity? Genuine question.

It strikes me that publishing the fees weakens our hand in negotiations & gives away how much (or little) a club with 3500 at home games would accept for its best players.

And what people are forgetting here is that although undisclosed fee does include the original up - front fee, it also involves the add - ons. Many "Undisclosed Fees" are deals that involve an up front - fee and then a number of add ons, there are many reasons to not disclose a fee to the public domain but one of the main reasons being the add-ons that were included, that's what i suspect has happened with the Tarkowski deal, an up-front fee then a number of adds-on for within the future.

Have you seen the list of undisclosed transfer fees, there isn't many that have been disclosed!

Eggsackerly. We're no different to 90% of clubs (apart from those paying zillions of pounds), so why should we be the privileged ones honoured with all the facts? I'm a customer at my local Sainsbury's in the same way I'm a customer of Latics. So how's this for a (weakish) analogy?

I pay my money in return for a service and, when I've paid 50 quid for a dollop of shopping, I don't beat on the store manager's door demanding to know what he's bought the stuff in for. I don't ask to see his accounts and I don't want to know what his staff earn. Why? Because it's nowt to do with me.

I pay my money at the turnstiles at BP, Ashton Gate, Griffin Park, wherever, for a service I receive in return, ie a football match. I don't ask to see the ins and outs of the clubs finances. Why? Because it's none of my business in the same way it's none of my business at Sainsbury's.

Honest to God, I cannot get my head round why supporters of a football club expect, even demand, to know how much we received or spent on a player. We don't have a right to know.

Tell you what. next time you hop on the 409 or the 182, ask the driver how much he earns to see if it correlates with the fare you're paying.

*Steps back and waits for :rifle: , closely followed by all the reasons why we are entitled to know the far end of a cat's arse's uncle.

It's only a matter of time before someone randomly makes up an amount (probably the postman) and some gullibles take it in and swear by it. So many people just believed the 150k reported in brentfords local , maybe it was maybe it wasn't , we just have to trust the club got the best deal they could and why people think they would do any less I have no clue .

Eggsackerly. We're no different to 90% of clubs (apart from those paying zillions of pounds), so why should we be the privileged ones honoured with all the facts? I'm a customer at my local Sainsbury's in the same way I'm a customer of Latics. So how's this for a (weakish) analogy?

I pay my money in return for a service and, when I've paid 50 quid for a dollop of shopping, I don't beat on the store manager's door demanding to know what he's bought the stuff in for. I don't ask to see his accounts and I don't want to know what his staff earn. Why? Because it's nowt to do with me.

I pay my money at the turnstiles at BP, Ashton Gate, Griffin Park, wherever, for a service I receive in return, ie a football match. I don't ask to see the ins and outs of the clubs finances. Why? Because it's none of my business in the same way it's none of my business at Sainsbury's.

Honest to God, I cannot get my head round why supporters of a football club expect, even demand, to know how much we received or spent on a player. We don't have a right to know.

Tell you what. next time you hop on the 409 or the 182, ask the driver how much he earns to see if it correlates with the fare you're paying.

*Steps back and waits for :rifle: , closely followed by all the reasons why we are entitled to know the far end of a cat's arse's uncle.

Whilst I don't disagree with your points or opinion, by the same token Sainsbury's don't constantly ask you to dig deep throwing cash into their buckets when the stores gone tits up. Or explain that this week they haven't got your favourite soup in because they are a failing third tier store with falling foot fall. Most stores just shut down, we miss them and move on to the next, Football clubs are slightly different.

Analogy is deeply flawed . We are not asking what Tarky's wage was, we are asking how much a company sold an asset for. Do you think this doesn't get reported to shareholders and the market when Sainsburys sell an asset?

It is my understanding that a fans group owns a minority shareholding in the company, hence this information must be made freely available to these shareholders. Whether these shareholders then pass on this information is a different story. The club need to lodge accounts though and these are available for a small fee to anyone.

It is very relevant to people like me that the money I put into the club isn't being pissed away. You cannot expect fans to be happy "donating" money to the club because the club cries poor, but then remain silent when an asset is sold for a potentially small amount for no good reason.

We are not a prem club. If the club wants my money in future, then these things need to be disclosed. I will be emailing the club about this too.

Erm these you mean:

http://www.j-sainsbury.co.uk/about-us/financial-performance/annual-reports/

If he had been sold for 1 mill plus would it have been kept undisclosed?

Of course not, they would have been crowing about showing ambition and Corney/Barry would be telling anyone who would listen about what a great deal they got.

Would Brentford have wanted to disclose it? Also, if other clubs know that we have recently had the coffers swelled by £1m, it would change their position when trying to strike other deals not to mention that of players negotiating contracts in the summer.

This article from a while back highlights that there can be many reasons, from both parties as to why the fee isn't always revealed :

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/46453-revealed-why-clubs-leave-transfer-fees-undisclosed

Edited by Twisbrogan

Whilst I don't disagree with your points or opinion, by the same token Sainsbury's don't constantly ask you to dig deep throwing cash into their buckets when the stores gone tits up. Or explain that this week they haven't got your favourite soup in because they are a failing third tier store with falling foot fall. Most stores just shut down, we miss them and move on to the next, Football clubs are slightly different.

There would be nobody to shake a bucket at by that point. They would all be it Aldi.

If he had been sold for 1 mill plus would it have been kept undisclosed?

Of course not, they would have been crowing about showing ambition and Corney/Barry would be telling anyone who would listen about what a great deal they got.

Actually that's not true, as Brentford could say we don't want other teams to know how much we paid, so we'd like the amount to be undisclosed and we'd have to agree.

The amount will eventually come out, like how it came out that whilst we sold Jose for less than the buy-out clause in his contract we could end up with a bit more than that.

Edited by rudemedic

Actually that's not true, as Brentford could say we don't want other teams to know how much we paid, so we'd like the amount to be undisclosed and we'd have to agree.

The amount will eventually come out, like how it came out that whilst we sold Jose for less than the buy-out clause in his contract we could end up with a bit more than that.

Yes, equally though there are clubs who are happy to disclose (Peterborough spring to mind) the fee as it gives them that perception of 'ambition'.

Let's be honest, given the money they are throwing around Brentford wouldn't be bothered if the fee is known or not, different matter for us.

Let's be honest, given the money they are throwing around Brentford wouldn't be bothered if the fee is known or not, different matter for us.

Can't find evidence to back that up Deyres, but happy to look at it.

here's something that points the other direction, I can't believe that Arsenal were shy of announcing the fee .

27 January 2014Last updated at 12:29

Transfer window: Brentford sign Arsenal's Nico Yennaris

Brentford have completed the signing of Arsenal midfielder Nico Yennaris for an undisclosed fee.

I've been told that it's the buying club who has the final say on whether the transfer fees are undisclosed, or not. Although, as mentioned in the 'Bleacher report' link in one of the above posts, it can be beneficial to both clubs to keep it hush hush.

Perhaps in future all playershare donations will be 'undisclosed' ?

Currently playershare is awaiting our next player to help aid into the club. We still have the pro rota Eddie monies to hand. The committee is to have a meeting very shortly. Anyone want to add something? money or suggestions.