Johnson The Tinker Man

One thing that has not been mentioned here is the abysmal distribution from the defensive third.

I fail to see how we can play any constructive football with the back four set up as it was tonight. Any decent possession was hoofed away our negatively passed into inadvertently dangerous areas.

Truly awful in the first half and headlessly showing some commitment in the second. It is rare to come out of a game of football with so little to be positive about. The team played like the relative strangers they looked like on the teamsheet!!

The defense shouldn't be the ones to be creating the play, midfield need to show for it. That didn't happen first half.

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Perhaps, but Winchester looked (very) good tonight, and was decent on Saturday too. He always seems to have that little bit of extra time on the ball and can find a pass too.

I've said it so many times he is talented but far too weak. We did not control the midfield on Saturday due to him IMO although he did look neat and tidy on the ball as always.

Can't comment on tonight because I couldn't make it but neat and tidy in a league 1 midfield battle is not enough.

We scraped past Gillingham and he couldnt finish the game after we conceding numerous chances as we couldn't stop the supply. Its not just about what you can do with the ball...

Edited by palmer1

Fair point, but they did at times and were entirely bypassed for much of the game.....normally straight out of play!

The midfield were narrow and poor in possession, but I can see that with the right team selection we will address those concerns. If the present incumbents remain at cenre half, I fail to see how we can build and bring our midfield into the game given their discomfort in possession.

Consequently I felt like as we did tonight, our midfield just pushes on and we end up playing a game to which we are completely poorly set up to play.

LJ is talking crap On Winchester and needs to stop saying stupid things about his younger players and acting like its there fault and his hands are ties. He said something about Mellor have issues in his head early in the season as well and that didn't help. It's his responsibility to develop them but he isn't. He doesn't even explain the changes when he drops them and that's a fact!

I know Winchester and he isn't fit for 90mins due to lack of match practise. He has been pulled out of the reserve squad tha last few times as he's been in the first the squad and couldn't be risked incase he was injured.

Don't drop ya young lads for a crap Canadian with no league 1 experience and was released from a poor League I Oct!

I've got nothing against the man personally, but what the hell is the Dunfield signing all about? We've got experienced heads in the dressing room (MacDonald, Lockwood, Harkins etc) and I can't see him making any more of a positive impact than blooding the likes of Winchester and Mellor.

God only knows what LJ's preferred first XI are.

What annoys me about LJ is that he has Rogers as a midfield cover who never gets a game.

When he is injured he brings in a totally inferior Duffer (Dunfield) and plays him !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

WHY - if Rogers can't get in the side what has Duffer done to get in.

Have supported LJ upto now but some of his recent decisions are now very questionable to say the least.

Not for the first time recently have we lost through poor team selection and whilst i admire his 3 subs at HT to have a go we should never be in that position in the first place.

Losing tonight makes Tranny even more crucial now.

What annoys me about LJ is that he has Rogers as a midfield cover who never gets a game.

When he is injured he brings in a totally inferior Duffer (Dunfield) and plays him !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Have supported LJ upto now but some of his recent decisions are now very questionable to say the least.

Not for the first time recently have we lost through poor team selection and whilst i admire his 3 subs at HT to have a go we should never be in that position in the first place.

Rogers is injured and will be out for a few more weeks. But I'm breaking an OWTB rules pointing this out to you no place for facts here.

Rogers also is not a patch on Smith nor Wes, hence why he didn't get many games, when he was fit.

Edited by rudemedic

If Winchester had started the game, we'd have been in a much better position going into half-time. Dunfield was too reserved and too often out of position, when we have Wesolowski sitting deep someone has to provide a form of momentum from central midfield and Dunfield was not that man tonight - maybe he'll come good in the future, but it didn't seem to me like he was capable of doing that role based on tonight.

I don't know it was LJ's or Philliskirk's decision to bring him into a narrower role than a right-winger should have, but it was caused by the lack of a passing midfielder who can spread the ball across the pitch (e.g. Smith, Winchester) and made it very difficult for us to harm MK Dons or do anything at all with the ball. It was easy for them to stop our attacks because there was no momentum coming from the middle of the pitch, and nothing on the right where Connor Brown was left on his own.

It improved in the second-half when we went 3 across the middle with Dayton and Brown as wing-backs, but we shouldn't have had to resort to that - it should be pretty obvious that you can't play with two reserved central midfielders, particularly at home. Very poor.

The other problem with having to make 3 ht subs is that it leaves us screwed if somebody gets injured after say 50 mins.

LJ is talking crap On Winchester and needs to stop saying stupid things about his younger players and acting like its there fault and his hands are ties. He said something about Mellor have issues in his head early in the season as well and that didn't help. It's his responsibility to develop them but he isn't. He doesn't even explain the changes when he drops them and that's a fact!

I know Winchester and he isn't fit for 90mins due to lack of match practise. He has been pulled out of the reserve squad tha last few times as he's been in the first the squad and couldn't be risked incase he was injured.

Don't drop ya young lads for a crap Canadian with no league 1 experience and was released from a poor League I Oct!

yes, Johnson thought i'll drop Winchester for a crap Canadian with no league 1 experience who was released from a poor league in October, or maybe in training this guy looked the better option.

Rogers is injured and will be out for a few more weeks. But I'm breaking an OWTB rules pointing this out to you no place for facts here.

Rogers also is not a patch on Smith nor Wes, hence why he didn't get many games, when he was fit.

Obviously OWTB rules don't cover the fact that you can't read.

I said Rogers is injured. He couldn't get a game when he was fit so why does a duffer get in when he is signed to replace him.

IF he was signed to replace him (as LJ has said) then he should be on the bench and stay there like Rogers !!!!!!!!

Obviously OWTB rules don't cover the fact that you can't read.

I said Rogers is injured. He couldn't get a game when he was fit so why does a duffer get in when he is signed to replace him.

IF he was signed to replace him (as LJ has said) then he should be on the bench and stay there like Rogers !!!!!!!!

Probably because Smith is injured too, and he doesn't think Winchester can play 90 minutes.

Probably because Smith is injured too, and he doesn't think Winchester can play 90 minutes.

Funny when Weso was injured and Winchester was struggling at the same time he still couldn't get in the side !!!

I can't understand why we sign a Duffer to replace an injured player who can't get in the side when fit !!!!!!!

Funny when Weso was injured and Winchester was struggling at the same time he still couldn't get in the side !!!

I can't understand why we sign a Duffer to replace an injured player who can't get in the side when fit !!!!!!!

you've written dunfield off when everyone in that first half was as crap as each other.

you've written dunfield off when everyone in that first half was as crap as each other.

Not written him off just annoyed that he is starting a game when Winchester / Mellor are better options at the moment.

The side is struggling at the moment and some players do need a rest but it's not an option for us to do that.

To me a player like Dunfield should be coming off the bench and making an impact before starting a game.

What did he do Saturday to justify starting tonight .

IF Winchester is struggling to last 90 min then he should start and get replaced when tired !!

The problem was (and I'm sorry to repeat it) the two central midfielders hardly crossed the halfway line in the first half and the full backs didn't get forward, its no wonder goals are scarce.

Edited by BP1960