• Replies 123
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

wouldn't mind seeing mellor LB, Winchester RB... i know many don't rate these two at all but given a chance at full back they could do well, both attacking minded and put in decent performances when they've played their this season, both would put in an excellent delivery to stead/mcdonald/JCH!

I'd like to see grounds back in his most comfortable position (which for me IS NOW centre back) with my choice preferably Wilson, Lockwood is doing okay but do we really want an old flogger at CB in the long term?

That's a fairly rare example of a genuine considered tactical change from Dickov. For every one of them i will raise you 3 10 minute cameos of JVM up front looking confused how he got there.

very very true, the initial point about dickovs substitution is valid.. but there was many many more where he made no change at all and left us all pondering as to why he didn't make a sub

wouldn't mind seeing mellor LB, Winchester RB... i know many don't rate these two at all but given a chance at full back they could do well, both attacking minded and put in decent performances when they've played their this season, both would put in an excellent delivery to stead/mcdonald/JCH!

I'd like to see grounds back in his most comfortable position (which for me IS NOW centre back) with my choice preferably Wilson, Lockwood is doing okay but do we really want an old flogger at CB in the long term?

Agree with this almost completely (I don't see that Kasunga is not a far better footballer than either Wilson or Lockwood.)

We have neither the players, nor fans with the appetite for, direct football. Our fullbacks must provide an outlet that can progress the game which the two names mentioned would. Sit Wes and Smith in front with Philiskirk tucked in behind the front man. Any two from Harkins, Dayton and Worrall playing wide with licence to push high up the pitch.

Moving forward, that is the team that allows our best players on the pitch, with the fluidity to play the ball through from back to front. I suppose it all depends on how many of those stay fit as to whether we can keep our heads above water.

Isn't the biggest parallel the enormous turnover of players?

Giving a manager 3 to 5 years is all well and good but he's facing an uphill struggle (or creating one for himself) if every season sees 30 odd players getting a runout.

A target for next season should be to use a maximum of 20 players.

Isn't the biggest parallel the enormous turnover of players?

Giving a manager 3 to 5 years is all well and good but he's facing an uphill struggle (or creating one for himself) if every season sees 30 odd players getting a runout.

A target for next season should be to use a maximum of 20 players.

I agree Harry, also fans can't identify with an ever changing team. I know I'm considered a dinosaur, but it seems during the Jimmy Frizzell and Big Joe eras the same players were at the club for several years and legends were created. Perhaps Bosman changed all that.

Edited by BP1960

Any facts to support that view?

Last season:

Colchester: One down at half time, changes led to a draw.

Carlisle: 2-0 down, three changes completely altered the pattern of the game and we nearly got a point.

Bury: Kirk Millar came on and his cross for the goal helped win the game.

This season:

Peterborough away: Charlie Mac scored after coming on along with Kirk Millar at 2-0 down, we nearly got a 2-2 draw.

Crewe: 0-1 at HT, made a change at the break and we scored within 10 mins of the restart.

Swindon home: At 1-1 Schmeltz and JCH came on and soon after we got the winner.

Notts County away: 0-1 after 30 mins LJ brings on JCH and, despite our defending being :censored:, LJ sees the need to change our attack and doesn't mess around which earns us 2 goals.

Shrewsbury away: JCH comes on at 1-0 down on 35 and we are level at the break, Wes and Schmeltz come on halfway through the 2nd half which helps us to a 2-1 win.

Mansfield away: At 0-1, Lanzoni comes on at HT, gets forward well, gets a goal and helps us to a 4-1 win.

Peterborough home: Connor Brown, Harkins to the left, 0-3 to 5-4, 'nuff said.

Swindon away: Brings on Stead for JCH, within 10 mins he's involved in Grounds scoring the winner.

MK last night.

True there's a couple of indirect examples in there, but even taking into account Dickov's 1st 6 months I doubt he changed games as much as Johnson has and Dickov had an extra 2 years to do so.

Edited by the_mighty_bosh

We still lost some of them games!

So?

His in-game changes still made a difference to the pattern of the play and nearly got us a point from a position of almost certain defeat.

Dickov had the odd incredible comeback but not much else and so many times when we were 1-0 down defeat was nigh on inevitable.

I prefer Harkins to Baxter.

There. Said it.

Give it 6 months.

I'm not saying you personally will be saying it, but there will be plenty moaning about Harkins being a right lazy sod. Or calling him crap because he no longer plays for us.

Whilst, of course, the rest of us will just be glad we've got/had at least one player who is capable of entertaining us.

Give it 6 months.

I'm not saying you personally will be saying it, but there will be plenty moaning about Harkins being a right lazy sod. Or calling him crap because he no longer plays for us.

Whilst, of course, the rest of us will just be glad we've got/had at least one player who is capable of entertaining us.

I wouldn't disagree with the possibility.

Whatever the parallels I still have faith in LJ.

When we were in at HT under Dickov, I wasn't particularly confident of his changes/tactics. The opposition usually seemed to spring a step on us.

That has happened under LJ now and then - wolves away in league for example.

But the vast majority of the time, if we are losing at the break - particularly by just one goal - I'm very confident he'll make a change, improve us and we'll get a result.