Johnson in or out ?

Johnson in or out?  

199 members have voted

1. 1. Johnson in or out?

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

In, the only way to improve is stability, but if we go down - out.

I'd love to know though why Johnson isn't getting the stick that Penney got from some of our "supporters". What has he done to deserve more time? No "GET OUT OF OUR CLUB..." Chants.

I'm not saying that should happen at all, but the mentality of some fans baffles me.

I can't see what alternatives there are?

He's on a lengthy contract.

The last few managers have been easily the cheaper end of the managerial market - Shez, Dickov & LJ and I bet Penney didnt break the bank either.

I don't see why the next one would be any different?

Anyways, Dickov had a decent amount of time to show whether or not he had "it" and could learn from his mistakes. Ultimately he didn't and he went.

LJ hasnt been afford that same amount of time to show if he can learn and develop as manager.

I'm honestly not sure; he showed real promise but i'm serious starting to wonder if he does indeed have "it" in him to be what we need / has what it takes to be a successful manager.

Voted In due to lack of other options.

Sacking now would only add to; not help, our current situation IMO.

Edited by slystallone

I'd love to know though why Johnson isn't getting the stick that Penney got from some of our "supporters". What has he done to deserve more time? No "GET OUT OF OUR CLUB..." Chants.

I'm not saying that should happen at all, but the mentality of some fans baffles me.

May be its a case that Lee like Dickov at least communicated with the fans which may have endeared the fans to be a bit more patient rather than strut around with a dont give a chuff what the fans think....

We all knew this was a transitional season. The contrast for me was the rotherham match on Tuesday compared to the reverse fixture and what a bloody difference eh

Edited by underdog

I can't see what alternatives there are?

He's on a lengthy contract.

The last few managers have been easily the cheaper end of the managerial market - Shez, Dickov & LJ and I bet Penney didnt break the bank either.

I don't see why the next one would be any different?

Anyways, Dickov had a decent amount of time to show whether or not he had "it" and could learn from his mistakes. Ultimately he didn't and he went.

LJ hasnt been afford that same amount of time to show if he can learn and develop as manager.

I'm honestly not sure; he showed real promise but i'm serious starting to wonder if he does indeed have "it" in him to be what we need / has what it takes to be a successful manager.

Voted In due to lack of other options.

Sacking now would only add to; not help, our current situation IMO.

I take all our points, but we were told that Johnson had been preparing for management for years so I don't see why 12 months into the job he should still be in the learning phase.

Trying to come up with positives for him and all I've really got is getting improved performances out of Tarkowski and Wesolowski.

I take all our points, but we were told that Johnson had been preparing for management for years so I don't see why 12 months into the job he should still be in the learning phase.

Trying to come up with positives for him and all I've really got is getting improved performances out of Tarkowski and Wesolowski.

Of course he should be learning, any manager should but particularly one who has only been doing the job for a year. However, in any job, sometimes you can see pretty quickly that someone isn't going to be up to the job, regardless of how long you give them and that's where I'm at. I'll be thrilled if Johnson proves me wrong but I don't think he's got it in him.

As for the improvements, Wes was never as bad as some have made out - don't forget, he's won promotion from this league which probably can't be said for anyone else in our squad (edit: other than Korey Smith, now I think of it). Tarkowski was always a talented player, Philliskirk saw it, but yes he developed a great deal this season under Johnson. Winchester, Mellor and Millar - for all some people were lauding Johnson's role in their 'development' earlier in the season - are the counter argument.

Edited by Stevie_J

To enhance that

After 36 games

Penney had W10 D10 L16 P40 GF30 GC43 GD-13 (In 17th position but with games in hand- some teams had played 38, but some 34)

Johnson is W10 D8 L18 P38 GF40 GC53 GD-13 (In 18th position)

Similar but Penney is better #oafc

I actually thought Penney was doing an OK job at times, as he was obviously trying to make us hard to beat (only 6 teams had a better Goals conceded stat than us), but in doing so we struggled to score, we were the lowest scorers at the time.

I think that when underdog said that Johnson communicates with fans is the reason why he isn't getting calls for his head she is probably right.

Edited by rudemedic

I'd keep him if we went down, largely because I'd want to see us keep together a squad and management team that could have a crack at coming back up. What would your reasons be for sacking him? And more pertinently who (or what type of candidate) would you want to replace him?

I'd keep him if we went down, largely because I'd want to see us keep together a squad and management team that could have a crack at coming back up. What would your reasons be for sacking him? And more pertinently who (or what type of candidate) would you want to replace him?

Out of interest, how many from the current squad would you keep?

Out of interest, how many from the current squad would you keep?

Hard to say, obviously a lot depends on contracts etc.

Primarily - and off the top of my head - I'd like to think we could keep Clarke-Harris, Turner, Brown, Dayton, Mellor, Winchester along with the tyros from the youth team and use them as the core of a young, settled(ish) squad that could compete at League 2 level. I've chosen them as I think they're realistic bets to stay either due to their contract status or potential lack of interest from other clubs (this is Dayton, though I think he's a long shot as he seems to be highly rated). Lockwood is probably a good shout to stay as well, I think he'd be useful as an old head in a young League 2 side.

Lee's been unlucky in his first year of management, all our players with flair and speed have for one reason or another gone down the river.. Monty ( where's the bookies ), Sid ( who I thought would make it ), Rooney ( forget the flair and speed thing in his case, I didn't see any), Tarky (FEC).

Potential players who have never really developed: Winchester, Mellor ( and a few others ).

On recent performances we have a goalkeeper who's not quite sure what is hands are for, who doesn't control his area and is about as happy to see a cross as Jesus!! Why does he keep sending high balls in when we have only small players up top, I can understand it when we have Jonno up top but not with Philly and McDonnald.

Players that I'm happy about, Grounds ( but not as full back ), Philly ( but not out wide ), Clarke-Harris ( The Beast ),McDonnald and Brown

Players I'm not sure about Dayton ( I'm getting bored now ),

​I think Lee panicked a bit and brought in players he knew who he thought could do a job ( and I'm not sure they are yet )

So as far as I'm concerned this is a steep learning curve for Lee, he will learn a lot and end up a better manager for it, KEEP THE FAITH, we won't go down.....