I still think we'll stay up!

Doncaster Rovers were in a shocking state, relegated from the league in a dilapidated ground with crowds of a few hundred.

They sorted themselves out and were getting crowds of several thousand when getting promoted again. They've done alright since.

BUT there are probably plenty of other examples of teams going down and staying down. People were probably having this discussion when we last got relegated. Here we are 17 years later. We need to stay up, desperately.

They changed owner. If only, eh?

If Mr Corney has anything about him, he will do everything he can to make sure BP is as close to capacity as it can be for the Sheff Utd and Notts County games....We don't know what we are going to do up until then with regards to results, so these last two home games could be as big as we have had in quite a while.

He needs to offer some incentive, both games for £25 or something along those lines.

If Mr Corney has anything about him, he will do everything he can to make sure BP is as close to capacity as it can be for the Sheff Utd and Notts County games....We don't know what we are going to do up until then with regards to results, so these last two home games could be as big as we have had in quite a while.

He needs to offer some incentive, both games for £25 or something along those lines.

But we don't traditionally do very well when we reduce the prices. However in our two most expensive games at BP, we beat the 5x champions of Europe (and a team that had only 3.5 changes from the one that beat those lot from Trafford yesterday), then got a draw against their slightly better cross-City rivals.

For what it is worth I can see us beating everybody bar Orient, we won't but I can still see it happening. Bradford have gone significantly downhill since they sold Wells, Cov have struggled since Leon Clarke threw his toys out of the pram in early Jan. We won at Colchester last season, and the table suggests that they are a worse side this season, but it suggests we are a better side. Sheff U will be at the end of a run of playing twice a week for over a month, plus I can see Hull giving them a tonking and thereby lowering their morale a lot. Notts County are very likely to have been relegated a few weeks earlier. Carlisle will be under serious pressure. Plus I expect Brentford to have Tarky suspended, and the reason he didn't come back to us was due to injury problems at CB.

I may be slightly delusional but I'd much rather think positively than negatively, and the balance looks to be required on this thread.

Edited by rudemedic

But we don't traditionally do very well when we reduce the prices. However in our two most expensive games at BP, we beat the 5x champions of Europe (and a team that had only 3.5 changes from the one that beat those lot from Trafford yesterday), then got a draw against their slightly better cross-City rivals.

For what it is worth I can see us beating everybody bar Orient, we won't but I can still see it happening. Bradford have gone significantly downhill since they sold Wells, Cov have struggled since Leon Clarke threw his toys out of the pram in early Jan. We won at Colchester last season, and the table suggests that they are a worse side this season, but it suggests we are a better side. Sheff U will be at the end of a run of playing twice a week for over a month, plus I can see Hulk giving them a tonking and thereby lowering their morale a lot. Notts County are very likely to have been relegated a few weeks earlier. Carlisle will be under serious pressure. Plus I expect Brentford to have Tarky suspended, and the reason he didn't come back to us was due to injury problems at CB.

I may be slightly delusional but I'd much rather think positively than negatively, and the balance looks to be required on this thread.

delusional isnt a bad self diagnosis.

Relegation would be an absolute disaster........we lost our premiership status and then pretty quickly followed it with another relegation. I'm pretty sure if we went down again we'd do a Stockport.

The only way I could see us coming back up is with some serious investment which is pretty unlikely.

I can see 10 points from the last 9 games and that would just about be enough, however that includes a win against Crawley on Saturday....I honestly believe we are down if we lose!!!

I think someone called it perfectly above the club really is stuck in a rut. We will drop eventually without investment I am sure of it. What is the alternative?

Possibly playing at a level our crowds can support for now so we can get everything in order and become more competitive on the pitch, with the hope it would bring some lapsed fans back, realign expectations and maybe even make us a more attractive proposition to investors, especially with the new stand on the way. I dont see why (if fans keep going) we can't be competitive in L2. Surely we have budget that fits that league now anyway?

I feel as the more hardcore fans we have 2 options to make things better, pull together and start demanding more investment and backing this up with action (which I don't think there is any support for at the moment), or face up to the reality of the situation the club finds itself in rather than moaning about it and pull together to support the club no matter where we find ourselves, regardless of what we think of the :censored:e owners/managers/players/stadium. Sadly I think this wont happen either because the fan base is too splintered and not united behind a cause.

Having typed all this it has got me thinking maybe the :censored: hitting the fan is what is needed to inject some life into our fans and bringing us together again, I can only see people slowly drifting away while we continue to tread water.

Relegation is not something to be embraced. At all.

If we drop, i see nothing; absolutely nothing at all, in the current set-up; both on & off the field, to suggest we'd even be able to mount a serious bid to bounce straight back up again.

We drop, We're :censored:ed.

And if we lose Saturdays' game; I can see us dropping. Huge; huge game...

I'm actually starting to think relegation wouldn't be such a bad thing.

Now I wouldn't know where to start looking and can't really be arsed, but, if I was a betting man, and I'm not saying I am, I wouldn't mind betting that teams that go down come up with more fans.

Relegation means the team is more than likely playing :censored:e football and that invariably leads to dwindling attendances. Hopefully (and this is where my theory could fall on its arse), the following year, the team would be strong enough to go back up. A promotional season, albeit in the 4th tier, would mean better football, a positive vibe about to the place, and hopefully the town, reasons to go watch the match, hence higher attendances. More than likely, these new, or returning fans, will come back for the start of the new season, maybe even buying season tickets? A full house (ok, optimistic) - a better crowd creates a better atmosphere which could be the catalyst for a good start to the season, which breeds confidence, which leads to winning more games and so on and so forth.

I think we're in a rut. Not just on the pitch, but at the club as a whole. The disappointment of a relegation could be outweighed by the furore over a following promotion?

Or am I just talking bollocks?

No but, we thought we'd easily come back up 17 yrs ago

problem for me is looking at other teams run ins, crewe for example play 7 of the current bottom 10 in there last nine games.

in our case

Crawley (h) draw

Orient (a) draw

Brentford (h) lose

Bradford (a) draw

Colchester (a) lose

Coventry (h) win

Carlisle (a) draw

sheff U (h) draw

Notts county (h) win

11 points which would take us up to the magic 50

We said we would go back up to the Prem (well some did)

A lot said 17 years ago that going into this division would be a catalyst to improve - That has gone really well.

Relegation is only a good idea if you are of sound backing and can kick on. We are not and it's not.

Thing is football isn't played on paper. We'll pick up some surprise points and drop some where we should get all three.

This

So the next 3 games will see a loss to Crawley followed by an owtb meltdown of biblical proportions followed by 4 points from games against orient and brentford buoyed by this we will pick up enough points to see us safe before finishing with a 1-1 draw against notts county to really end the season with a damp squib

Edited by GlossopLatic