I still think we'll stay up!

I really don't know why because as bad as Saturday was I still think we'll survive...JUST

We have 9 games left and based on that I think there are four worse teams than us I think we'll stay up.

We have 5 at home and 4 away:

Crawley (H)

Leyton Orient (A)

Brentford (H)

Bradford (A)

Colchester (A)

Coventry (H)

Carlisle (A)

Sheff Utd (H)

Notts County (H)

I think we need 11 points to stay up, looking at those fixtures it is looking bleak but I think we'll snatch 11. I think we'll sneak past Crawley on saturday leaving us needing 8 points, I wouldn't be surprised if we knicked a point at Orient but will put that down as a loss for now, think we'll lose to Brentford, get a point at Bradford, nothing at colchester, beat coventry, draw at carlisle, lose to sheff utd and sneak past Notts County on the last game.

This would leave us on 50 points, which I think will just be enough.

How many points do you think we'll get and do you think we'll stay up?

the next four games I think we will get 2 points, draws from crawley and bradford, if that happens we will be right in it, problem we have if we dont get anything next saturday is that colchester host bristol city, gillingham host crewe and notts county host carlisle so someone will pick up points in those games. Lose on Saturday and that would be it for us I feel.

Crawley (H) - W

Leyton Orient (A) - L

Brentford (H)- L

Bradford (A) - L

Colchester (A) - D

Coventry (H) - D

Carlisle (A) - L

Sheff Utd (H) - L

Notts County (H) - W

- I predict 8 points... and who knows if that will be enough?!

Crawley (H) - W

Leyton Orient (A) - L

Brentford (H) - D

Bradford (A) - W

Colchester (A) - L

Coventry (H) - D

Carlisle (A) - L

Sheff Utd (H) - L

Notts County (H) - W

That gives us 50 points by my reckoning, although it may have been more realistic to just go D,L,D,L,D,L,D,L,D

My prediction would be:

Crawley (H) - L
Leyton Orient (A) - L
Brentford (H)- L
Bradford (A) - L
Colchester (A) - D
Coventry (H) - L
Carlisle (A) - D
Sheff Utd (H) - L
Notts County (H) - W

Which would leave us on 44 points. However, I'm generally quite pessimistic when predicting Latics results and we do tend to pick up the odd unexpected win, such as the one against Peterboro.

I genuinely think 8 points will be our tally from these 9...can't see how we expect to base it on anything other than existing form. I find it hard to understand how anyone can use words like proud and brilliant to describe 2 points dropped in such an important game?!

Crawley (H) - D

Leyton Orient (A) - L

Brentford (H)- L

Bradford (A) - W

Colchester (A) - W

Coventry (H) - L

Carlisle (A) - L

Sheff Utd (H) - D

Notts County (H) - W

11 points. Completely baseless predictions though. We never win at Colchester, so it would be a good time to start!

I'll say this much, this is the most concerned I've been about getting relegated since the 04/05 season. Even under Penney and Dickov I always thought we had enough to survive and was pretty confident we would do. This season, I'm not so sure. A win on Saturday would definitely go someway to alleviating my concerns. It really is a case at the minute of not knowing where our next win will come from.

Edited by PlayItLivo

If someone could take Dickovs old tactics book off Johnson we might scrape 9 points, since Xmas Lee has thrown away our league one status with some stupid decisions in tactics and on the transfer market. That's what you get with a rookie, just clinging to the hope we pull off a couple of shock results. Whatever happens should be an interesting run in

I'm actually starting to think relegation wouldn't be such a bad thing.

Now I wouldn't know where to start looking and can't really be arsed, but, if I was a betting man, and I'm not saying I am, I wouldn't mind betting that teams that go down come up with more fans.

Relegation means the team is more than likely playing :censored:e football and that invariably leads to dwindling attendances. Hopefully (and this is where my theory could fall on its arse), the following year, the team would be strong enough to go back up. A promotional season, albeit in the 4th tier, would mean better football, a positive vibe about to the place, and hopefully the town, reasons to go watch the match, hence higher attendances. More than likely, these new, or returning fans, will come back for the start of the new season, maybe even buying season tickets? A full house (ok, optimistic) - a better crowd creates a better atmosphere which could be the catalyst for a good start to the season, which breeds confidence, which leads to winning more games and so on and so forth.

I think we're in a rut. Not just on the pitch, but at the club as a whole. The disappointment of a relegation could be outweighed by the furore over a following promotion?

Or am I just talking bollocks?

I think we are going to be ok simply because I am an optimist. Nothing I do or say will change the League we will be in next year.

Worrying or trying to forecast where we are going to get points from is futile. To put it into perspective, if you put a tenner on a 9 result accumulator you would be extremely wealthy if it came in. And, not to mention what the other cubs are going to do.

I focus my optimism on the following:

1 We are currently 2pts above the bottom 4 with a decent goal difference.

2 I discount games in hand - when you're in the bottom 4 you are least likely to win them.

3 Our magnificent away support will be awesome at Bradford and Carlisle.

4 When the chips are down our home support will wake up.

5 I live in hope that the club recognise the importance of putting our fans in the small section of the RRE against Sheffield U, despite the cost.

6 WE ARE GOING TO DO BETTER THAN WE THINK.

Now I wouldn't know where to start looking and can't really be arsed, but, if I was a betting man, and I'm not saying I am, I wouldn't mind betting that teams that go down come up with more fans.

Relegation means the team is more than likely playing :censored:e football and that invariably leads to dwindling attendances. Hopefully (and this is where my theory could fall on its arse), the following year, the team would be strong enough to go back up. A promotional season, albeit in the 4th tier, would mean better football, a positive vibe about to the place, and hopefully the town, reasons to go watch the match, hence higher attendances. More than likely, these new, or returning fans, will come back for the start of the new season, maybe even buying season tickets? A full house (ok, optimistic) - a better crowd creates a better atmosphere which could be the catalyst for a good start to the season, which breeds confidence, which leads to winning more games and so on and so forth.

I think we're in a rut. Not just on the pitch, but at the club as a whole. The disappointment of a relegation could be outweighed by the furore over a following promotion?

There is a bit of sense in what you are saying, but talking bollocks is the default setting on here.

A relegation-immediate bounce back up could have an overall positive effect on the club.

But you're playing Russian roulette. Do we sound like we have money to throw at getting ourselves back up? We can't draw flies at BP at the minute. I don't see how going from playing Wolves to Fleetwood is going to bring fans back. The prices won't decrease so you're asking fans to pay the same for an inferior product. And if the prices do decrease, what sort of playing budget do you think we'll have?

This lot wouldn't get us out of League Two, most of them aren't even our players. We have no spine of a team ready to build on.

We're more likely to go the way of Stockport/Grimsby than Rotherham/Brentford.

It's a no brainer for me. I don't see how anyone could entertain the idea of being relegated a good thing.

Doncaster Rovers were in a shocking state, relegated from the league in a dilapidated ground with crowds of a few hundred.

They sorted themselves out and were getting crowds of several thousand when getting promoted again. They've done alright since.

BUT there are probably plenty of other examples of teams going down and staying down. People were probably having this discussion when we last got relegated. Here we are 17 years later. We need to stay up, desperately.