Mike Keegan's Tweet

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This is not the first time Simon has made an emotive statement to the press threatening to walk away.

Clearly he's pissed off at firstly some of the performances and secondly some of the comedians on here who actually think he's in this to make money.

No doubt this :censored: storm will blow over and he will still be here next season.

The list of people who have made money out of football are Martin Edwards and Mohammed Al-Fayed. Plus possibly the Moores lot at Liverpool. Oh and Rupert Murdoch.

Anyone in their right mind can see that Corney isn't in this to make money out of the football club, but similarly most should be able to see that no every decision in his 10 year tenure has been made with the best interests of the football club at heart.

£700,000 for the new stand withdrawn by the Football Foundation, I wonder if that decision can be legally challenged?

Depends where and how the football foundation is funded. It could be.

Just had a look and because it gets (some) funding from the government it should be.

Edited by rudemedic

Hmmmm.

Hand over to the fans? How? Via the Trust?

How much is exactly in the Trust accounts these days? Surely not enough to fund the club for any concerted amount of time?

If true, if it's handed over to the fans - that would surely be the signal for a couple of months running; then onto admin, then liquidation and a new phoenix club AFC Oldham 2014 or something forming and starting from the bottom? Surely?

I can't see how we as fans could keep the club, albeit in League Two going for anything longer than a few months?

Corney does it again though eh? Ahead of a crucial 'must win' game - nothing like adding the general air of despondency is there?

15 points deducted while in Division 2 would be a frightening prospect...starting again in the North West Counties league even more so.

The list of people who have made money out of football are Martin Edwards and Mohammed Al-Fayed. Plus possibly the Moores lot at Liverpool. Oh and Rupert Murdoch.

Anyone in their right mind can see that Corney isn't in this to make money out of the football club, but similarly most should be able to see that no every decision in his 10 year tenure has been made with the best interests of the football club at heart.

Oyston?

£700,000 for the new stand withdrawn by the Football Foundation, I wonder if that decision can be legally challenged?

You could ring up and ask the reasons:

Rory Carroll, Communications Manager

Email: rory.carroll@footballfoundation.org.uk

Telephone: 0845 3454555 ext 4280

I recall reading that site a couple of years back and seeing a £40m budget. It's now £30m. I assume government and/or Premier League have cut their funding. So I blame Man Utd.

Edited by opinions4u

You could ring up and ask the reasons:

Rory Carroll, Communications Manager

Email: rory.carroll@footballfoundation.org.uk

Telephone: 0845 3454555 ext 4280

Looking at their web site the organisation seems to be aimed at promoting grass roots and community football;

http://www.footballfoundation.org.uk/funding-schemes/

The way the clubs going that might not be far off.

Edited by BP1960

Who's interesting have they been in then?

I always take what Corney says with a pinch of salt as he can't go a season without some threat or rant but this one is a bit worrying

You cant argue that he backs his managers. 3500 average home att this year and he has allowed Johnson to make 30 odd signings.

We would be screwed if he left. I have a horrible feeling we will find out for sure if this is just a Corney rant or not in a few weeks time

Seems silly to me to make a statement at this time...a big game coming up at the weekend and putting more pressure on LJ...but still lots of points to play for and it will probably go down to the wire...if he wants to walk-make that call at the end of the season,but now is the time to pull together

Pretty naive that paddy - not all potential investors are devils, and I'm fairly sure some aren't clowns.

You are right to an unknown percentage, but also naïve to think that you would be able to identify them - if you actually got close to appointing someone, that is. If anyone did show an interest I wouldn't expect them to be in a queue, by any definition.

Corney, threatening to leave doesn't scare me half-as-much as handing the club to the fans. Hells, bells.

My reading of our situation since Christmas including todays statement is that Corney may be feeling disappointed with LJ's transfer business and performance. And not least, his own performance.

You are right to an unknown percentage, but also naïve to think that you would be able to identify them - if you actually got close to appointing someone, that is. If anyone did show an interest I wouldn't expect them to be in a queue, by any definition.

Maybe not, but some seem to live in a dreamland where it's either corney and chums or bust.

"We would be screwed if Corney left"

Can someone justify this....

When the other two walked away they did so because they where tired of covering the clubs debts. My understanding is Corney stayed to run the club without them two constantly pumping in money. Meaning the club then either operated within its means or we started living off debt from some other source.

If this is true, if Corney left in the morning how does anything change ? Why couldn't the fans / new owners run the club in exactly the same way ?

Please someone point out the bit I am missing...

Personally I think its been a :censored:ing disaster beyond what Moores caused. When Moores went we still had the land held in trust by the council, no real debt(?) and a development opportunity waiting for someone. The club is worthless but that land was not.

Following years of failures....

Now we have six million in debt, the land in private hands and a lot of it sold off, and :censored: all of interest to anyone unless they have VERY deep pockets...

So I don't see the justification in the above repeated comment. What bit am I missing ?

Edited by oafc0000

Don't blame Corney. A lot of the grief and criticism he gets is totally unfair. He's trying to make the club to be self-sufficient, which is rational based on the dwindling gates.

If he was guaranteed promotion by signing players X, Y and Z then I'm certain he would secure the funding. However, success cannot be guaranteed and is trial and error based on judgement and gut feeling. He believes LJ is a more long-term affordable appointment and has wheeled and dealed to get the best players we can afford. If those players haven't gelled or performed then can you honestly criticise Corney or should blame be firmly at players and manager?

He's also tirelessly trying to get this new stand built to generate further income - again can you criticise him for this? It's long-term growth rather than short term boom and bust if we threw all financial resource into playing staff that doesn't guarantee success.

People's frustration is wrongly aimed at Corney for someone who's tried to deliver success but it's increasingly difficult at our level to discover and fund affordable players and blend with the correct manager & tactics to succeed.

If Corney was to step aside then who would come in? There's nobody knocking on the door who can move our club forward with immense personal wealth to buy us out of this league. In fact now is the time for Koukash IF he was genuinely interested. Blitz has stated that he will not demand his £6m back unless we're in the Prem and can afford to pay them back or the land can be sold whilst safeguarded the clubs future i.e. we have a stadium elsewhere allowing Blitz to sell BP and land. Koukash buys the club, Blitz keeps the land and Koukash rents BP until another stadium is built or BP developed and Koukash then buys the stadium allowing him to pursue his joint-sport dream. Unfortunately my gut feel is that Koukash was full of bull:censored: regarding buying us and unless John Wardle or a Dowie Consortium come in with dosh to move us forward, Corney is definitely my preferred owner.

I wouldn't trust the club to be owner by the fans.....

Edited by Midsblue

"We would be screwed if Corney left"

Can someone justify this....

When the other two walked away they did so because they where tired of covering the clubs debts. My understanding is Corney stayed to run the club without them two constantly pumping in money. Meaning the club then either operated within its means or we started living off debt from some other source.

If this is true, if Corney left in the morning how does anything change ? Why couldn't the fans / new owners run the club in exactly the same way ?

Please someone point out the bit I am missing...

Personally I think its been a :censored:ing disaster beyond what Moores caused. When Moores went we still had the land held in trust by the council, no real debt(?) and a development opportunity waiting for someone. The club is worthless but that land was not.

Following years of failures....

Now we have six million in debt, the land in private hands and a lot of it sold off, and :censored: all of interest to anyone unless they have VERY deep pockets...

So I don't see the justification in the above repeated comment. What bit am I missing ?

Anyone who disagrees with this is doing it wrong.