FAO Simon Corney

Simon Corney  

208 members have voted

1. 1. Do you want Simon Corney to resign should we go down?

• Yes
    • No

Grow a pair of bollocks and go meet him, rather than hide behind the keyboard

To be honest, I think Corney should grow a pair and ride above stuff on here (and other places). He has no need to rise to it, be publicly frustrated by it or issue invites for dissenters to pop in for a chat.

Part of being club owner is taking stick from fans.

• Replies 196
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The legal entity might be, but Oldham Athletic Football Club isn't theirs, it's ours, whoever owns it. It belongs to every supporter, every fan who has ever cheered the boys in blue, orange, white, red, raspberry, black, lime green on. It'll be around (in one form or another) long after they're gone.

That's very romantic, but it's not. You have no say whatsoever in the club, you can either go to the match and buy their wares or not go to the match at all. Those are the only choices you have.

And you are right as well, it will be here after they have gone, but then it will be somebody else's plaything. The common factor in all of this is the poor :censored:er who still buy tickets for the matches, who sees their club being passed along the :censored:ing chain of Chairmen and investors who have no connection to the club or the wherewithal to run it in the first place.

Fan ownership is no easy ride, mind you - ask any Portsmouth fan/owner.

Corney puts it well in the article by highlighting that he has an open-door policy. So, if you doubt him, criticise him or whatever - go meet him, rather than hide behind the keyboard.

I did, and he :censored: out.

That's very romantic, but it's not. You have no say whatsoever in the club, you can either go to the match and buy their wares or not go to the match at all. Those are the only choices you have.

And you are right as well, it will be here after they have gone, but then it will be somebody else's plaything. The common factor in all of this is the poor :censored:er who still buy tickets for the matches, who sees their club being passed along the :censored:ing chain of Chairmen and investors who have no connection to the club or the wherewithal to run it in the first place.

That's the way it is now, doesn't have to be like that though. We have a fans rep on board, for example...

On the other hand - there are clubs like Burnley. I was talking to a Burnley fan the other day, and he pointed out that the Chairmen and the board throughout their history (good or bad) have always had strong links with the club and the community, and have usually been influential local businessmen. He pointed out Bob Lord and Garlick as two examples from very different eras. Lord's strength, money, influence and ability to run a club with tight pockets are traits that Burnley hold dear to this day.

Of course, football is different in reality because of the passion it stirs from fans. However, just because we are fans, doesn't entitle us to decide everything, nor does it it mean we have to be involved in any decision making.

Just read that bit, and you are wrong.

I don't give a :censored: who owns my club all I care about is that it's there I can go and watch it and the people who are involved are trying their best to make it work. That's what 99% of football fans think.

I know you and all your friends at Fc United are single handedly heroically saving football from the evil corporate pigs and I thank you all from the bottom of my heart but seriously knowone cares.

On this poll i've voted no.

But that is based sorely on the fact that were it to be handed over to the "fans" - we'd be fooked and the club I support would more than likely fold and cease to exist.

It is certainly not though a vote of confidence towards Corney. At all...

I know you and all your friends at Fc United are single handedly heroically saving football from the evil corporate pigs and I thank you all from the bottom of my heart but seriously knowone cares.

This old chestnut. Well there is quite a lot of misinformation out there about FC, that statement being one of them. The fact is FC doesn't care what anybody else thinks, FC isn't saving anything, Why does it bother you what FC do?

So many misconceptions.

:censored: 'em.

Is it working?

He said "all the fans want is answers"

If anybody had "spoken" it wasn't me.

Why have you joined rummy in using my name? I'd have registered with it if I'd wanted people to

Hi Dave

I'm Sly; pleased to meet you ;-)

Edited by slystallone

On the other hand - there are clubs like Burnley. I was talking to a Burnley fan the other day, and he pointed out that the Chairmen and the board throughout their history (good or bad) have always had strong links with the club and the community, and have usually been influential local businessmen. He pointed out Bob Lord and Garlick as two examples from very different eras. Lord's strength, money, influence and ability to run a club with tight pockets are traits that Burnley hold dear to this day.

And knowing one of the burnley directors (main money man) personally, for all the good, bad, tight or generous types - burnley has always had a board of directors 6-7 strong, all fans incidentally (and decent business men in their own right). It's been my view for a long time that Corney / the club would benefit hugely by appointing some board members who run businesses who can bring structure, strategy and organisation to the place. Corney rightly can't be away from his family and with his focus firmly on the stand which he sees as his to get sorted he needs help, and if investors aren't forthcoming at least give your business the best help you can by inviting some non-exec directors onto the board to help things.

It would take some pressure off, add more contacts into the mix which can lead to something. Unfortunately I fear it is Corneys ego that is stopping such a sensible move.

By the way I have offered this suggestion up along with days spent putting together strategy/ vision reports to the current board and have so far found a door in much the same state as you Rummy...firmly shut.

Edited by lookers87

To be honest, I think Corney should grow a pair and ride above stuff on here (and other places). He has no need to rise to it, be publicly frustrated by it or issue invites for dissenters to pop in for a chat.

Part of being club owner is taking stick from fans.

I do believe some of our fans take it a bit further, though. As I said earlier I'm sure that I read he was receiving threats from season ticket holders for the golden ticket scheme.

Not a more true word spoken!

And knowing one of the burnley directors (main money man) personally, for all the good, bad, tight or generous types - burnley has always had a board of directors 6-7 strong, all fans incidentally (and decent business men in their own right). It's been my view for a long time that Corney / the club would benefit hugely by appointing some board members who run businesses who can bring structure, strategy and organisation to the place. Corney rightly can't be away from his family and with his focus firmly on the stand which he sees as his to get sorted he needs help, and if investors aren't forthcoming at least give your business the best help you can by inviting some non-exec directors onto the board to help things.

It would take some pressure off, add more contacts into the mix which can lead to something. Unfortunately I fear it is Corneys ego that is stopping such a sensible move.

By the way I have offered this suggestion up along with days spent putting together strategy/ vision reports to the current board and have so far found a door in much the same state as you Rummy...firmly shut.

An interesting insight, thanks.

It's a nice idea but I can't think of one local businessman who would fit the bill never mind six or seven

I've always defended corney, but the article tonight is the final straw.

I think he's lost any interest in us, (particularly footballing wise. 'I would seriously consider handing it over to the fans' Really??????? So can we as fans offer you more than koucash? Bull:censored:.

'My harshest critics still sit behind a keyboard' Do they? Or is that line you put out to save face? Look at people's comments at the first meet the manager- Corney came in an told us off. Added to that rummy asked to see him- an got nothing, mmmmm, Doesn't sound like open door to me. Again bull:censored:.

The bit that really makes chuckle is 'If we go down I will take it as a personal failure' If you want the perfect lesson in passive- aggressive there it is. . To paraphrase. . . I tried my best, but it's the fans fault. . .

BP said in another thread; corney was quiet recently, spot on! - last season- if we go down I'm off. Supposed buzz about the club this season- an still, If we go down, I'm off?? How desperate is he to get out?

Perversely it's like he wants to go down so he's got the perfect out. Does anyone think he really, really, cares that we stay up? Or is it an on going financial interest that if goes well, great. If it doesn't I want my money out ASAP .

For what it's worth I do think he gives a :censored:. . TO A POINT. I'd have much more respect for him though if he said ' I'm done, I can't take it forward, I want as much of our investment back, an I wish the new owner well.

However he doesn't, he's plays woe is me. He's reactionary, an terse.

In short I'm sick of him crying wolf, :censored: off then if the fans/ the town/ apathy/ I tried my best/ ain't good enough!

But hang on. . You were given outs by chatow an koucash. But the club is so awful that you hang on it to do us all a favour. . If he's the saviour/ if he cares; why not take the offers he's had an cut he's loses.

One word. Greed.