FAO Simon Corney

Simon Corney  

208 members have voted

1. 1. Do you want Simon Corney to resign should we go down?

• Yes
    • No

• Replies 196
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I was fortunate to spend 10 minutes talking to him a few weeks back. He could have easily told me he was busy etc as it was a private function or simply said hello and carry on walking.

He actually stopped and took me to one side so we could talk properly. The mixed emotions of dedication, pain, enjoyment, frustration, ambition, passion etc that he demonstrated in those 10 minutes proved to me that he's not just the Chairman but a fan too. He genuinely loves the club and wants it to succeed. I believe him that relegation would be too much a cross to bear because he would feel that all the fighting to keep the club afloat was for nothing and he let us, his fellow fans, down.

He hasn't got bottomless pockets of cash nor a magic wand to guarantee us success but if there was one person to lead us until that other person comes along its Simon Corney.

The bloke should have the new stand named after him or the suite at very least rather than all the abuse and misplaced criticism!

I was fortunate to spend 10 minutes talking to him a few weeks back. He could have easily told me he was busy etc as it was a private function or simply said hello and carry on walking.

He actually stopped and took me to one side so we could talk properly. The mixed emotions of dedication, pain, enjoyment, frustration, ambition, passion etc that he demonstrated in those 10 minutes proved to me that he's not just the Chairman but a fan too. He genuinely loves the club and wants it to succeed. I believe him that relegation would be too much a cross to bear because he would feel that all the fighting to keep the club afloat was for nothing and he let us, his fellow fans, down.

He hasn't got bottomless pockets of cash nor a magic wand to guarantee us success but if there was one person to lead us until that other person comes along its Simon Corney.

The bloke should have the new stand named after him or the suite at very least rather than all the abuse and misplaced criticism!

In between kissing his ass, did you ask him how much of his own money he has put in?

In between kissing his ass, did you ask him how much of his own money he has put in?

Funny how people always look for the negatives in people.

I didn't kiss his ass, far from it to be honest. I told him how frustrated I was about this season and past seasons. He might be a master of PR but I think the bloke is unable to hide his feelings to spout out the party line and was actually more frustrated than I was and determined to make the club succeed with....or now without him...at the helm.

I would hazard a guess that he's put a lot more money in than you and I have combined over the years plus all the hours and stresses to keep us afloat and try and get us sustainable long term.

Funny how people always look for the negatives in people.

I didn't kiss his ass, far from it to be honest. I told him how frustrated I was about this season and past seasons. He might be a master of PR but I think the bloke is unable to hide his feelings to spout out the party line and was actually more frustrated than I was and determined to make the club succeed with....or now without him...at the helm.

I would hazard a guess that he's put a lot more money in than you and I have combined over the years plus all the hours and stresses to keep us afloat and try and get us sustainable long term.

Think you'd be surprised by how little money he has put in.

I would hazard a guess

That is all we have really been doing around here for the past 11 years... Despite having a trust, a representative on the board, an apparent open door policy rummy and other couldn't get through and so on...

To be quite frank guessing isn't of much use.

Think you'd be surprised by how little money he has put in.

Does Corney get renumeration for his work at OAFC ? It wouldn't surprised me if he did. Most directors in most companies get paid for their work.

So I wouldn't be surprised if he has taken out more than he has put in...

But who knows ? Who cares ?

Edited by oafc0000

This old chestnut. Well there is quite a lot of misinformation out there about FC, that statement being one of them. The fact is FC doesn't care what anybody else thinks, FC isn't saving anything, Why does it bother you what FC do?

So many misconceptions.

:censored: 'em.

Is it working?

Misconceptions perhaps the one about the glaziers taking over United would lead to the club imploding it hasn't happened has it?

Back to my main point while people on here may criticise the people running the club I don't think the fans really have an appetite for running it themselves. Well they might talk about it but when faced with the true reality I doubt many would want it certainly not for a sustained period of time. Most football fans want to be just that football fans.

Misconceptions perhaps the one about the glaziers taking over United would lead to the club imploding it hasn't happened has it?

Why does everyone think Manchester United are owned by window manufacturers?

Your complete view of the situation reveals everything about the lack of understanding about what FC is, and why it was formed; The aim is to create a sustainable club for the long term which is owned and democratically run by its members, which is accessible to all the communities of Manchester and one in which they can participate fully. Although driven by very different circumstances, FC takes as its inspiration a number of supporters' groups who have gone down this route, including AFC Wimbledon, who have offered unstinting support. FC is intended to create a football club which addresses the concerns which many fans have had over the last decade or more with how MUFC is developing culminating in the the takeover of Glazer, and how football in general has developed, the regimented way football is run and cost.

Does Corney get renumeration for his work at OAFC ? It wouldn't surprised me if he did. Most directors in most companies get paid for their work.

So I wouldn't be surprised if he has taken out more than he has put in...

But who knows ? Who cares ?

It is norm in our society to earn a wage

looks like corney is doing a fergie on us and leaving us with a pants manager at least LJ is only on a 4 year contract, extending the new managers contract whilst hovering around the bottom third of the table could be described at best as poor judgement, especially when he admits in yesterdays interview he has backed the managers financially, it would seem any monies made of been put back into the team and if thats the case its the manager who should be falling on his sword because we are half the team that he inherited.

It is norm in our society to earn a wage

it is... And I wouldn't begrudge Corney getting one...

But when reviewing if Corney is some sort of saint we couldn't do without then its important to take into consideration if he is actually doing anything any other person could not do.

As I said in another thread there is the concept of "Without him we are screwed".... and as I said in another thread, unless he is covering loses or making investments then is position is very much interchangeable.

And if other fans want to attack other fans lording up how much more Corney has put in then its a valid question as well. Because it could well be the reality that Corney has taken out a lot more than he has put in from a personal view point.

We simply do not know...

Edited by oafc0000

Please don't pay so much attention to the vocal internet minority who have it in for you.

I think I can speak on behalf of the less vocal majority if I say most of us do appreciate what you've done and continue to try to do for Oldham Athletic.

In the event we do go down, which I'm confident we won't, I for one wouldn't want you to resign.

My thoughts exactly.

I just hope this message get through to him.

Why does everyone think Manchester United are owned by window manufacturers?

Your complete view of the situation reveals everything about the lack of understanding about what FC is, and why it was formed; The aim is to create a sustainable club for the long term which is owned and democratically run by its members, which is accessible to all the communities of Manchester and one in which they can participate fully. Although driven by very different circumstances, FC takes as its inspiration a number of supporters' groups who have gone down this route, including AFC Wimbledon, who have offered unstinting support. FC is intended to create a football club which addresses the concerns which many fans have had over the last decade or more with how MUFC is developing culminating in the the takeover of Glazer, and how football in general has developed, the regimented way football is run and cost.

My gripe with them is that the fans still continue to support Man United and enjoy (maybe not so much this season) league, cup and european wins. It's as if they want the buzz of a community club, standing and away days at small grounds with small crowds away from the megastore bag holding 1 game per season "fans". But at the same time they want to take part in and enjoy the glory of being one of the most successful clubs in the world paying players 8 figure salaries.

If FC was born out of protest against what the Glazers have done at MUFC, why continue to support MUFC?

Smacks of having their cake and eating it.

another question - what constitutes 'fans ownership' we've seen the way the trust operates with a fans a representitive who quite frankly doesnt have two minutes for the very people he represents, would be interesting to see what kind of support would be offered if the 'trust' came out tipping their hat again. No doubt then we would be being told how important we are and its our club - joke from top to bottom the lot of em.

it is... And I wouldn't begrudge Corney getting one...

But when reviewing if Corney is some sort of saint we couldn't do without then its important to take into consideration if he is actually doing anything any other person could not do.

As I said in another thread there is the concept of "Without him we are screwed".... and as I said in another thread, unless he is covering loses or making investments then is position is very much interchangeable.

And if other fans want to attack other fans lording up how much more Corney has put in then its a valid question as well. Because it could well be the reality that Corney has taken out a lot more than he has put in from a personal view point.

We simply do not know...

The man, on 2 separate occasions in the last 3 years, has said in radio interviews on Radio Manchester that if a bus ran over him tomorrow the club would continue with little disruption at all. This very stark statement is bizarrely forgotten/conveniently ignored by every one of his supporters. Maybe a poll asking "If the club would not be adversely affected if Simon left, should he go if we are relegated?" would see quite a different outcome. Who knows?

The man, on 2 separate occasions in the last 3 years, has said in radio interviews on Radio Manchester that if a bus ran over him tomorrow the club would continue with little disruption at all. This very stark statement is bizarrely forgotten/conveniently ignored by every one of his supporters. Maybe a poll asking "If the club would not be adversely affected if Simon left, should he go if we are relegated?" would see quite a different outcome. Who knows?

Yes I very much remember that as well... But it seems lost on many....

I get enormously frustrated at times (don't we all) but i would hate to see SC leave unless we really had someone who was prepared to invest. So far, nobody has come forward. SC has stuck it out and kept us afloat in very difficult circumstances. I would actually fear for our future if he left. Can you imagine the fans taking over? We're fractious at the best of times.

Come on SC (i think he needs one of those big man hugs - any offers?).