Interesting piece ref Saturday!

Just seen this on Tarky and Saturdays match...

http://www.manchestereveningnews.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/oldham-fired-up-brentford-clash-6881395

Interesting that every other club in the land would have inserted a clause to stop a former player from playing so close to signing but it shows once again how poor we are at the transfer market!

Edited by super_blue

How can you stop him from playing? He's their player.

Teams often put clauses into contracts. I'm trying to think of a specific case but struggling but I'm sure it's happened. I'm not saying for ever but it's generally for signings part the way threw a season. More if doesn't bite them on the arse during a current campaign.

I know if apples to loans but can be inserted for transfer signings as well if my memory serves me right!

Edited by super_blue

http://www.birminghammail.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/aston-villa-stephen-ireland-contract-6863454

I stand corrected but it's still very very uncommon and it's not at all accurate to say every other club in the land would have done it.

Odd.

There was a row over Tim Howard not playing for Everton v Man Utd after his loan deal became permanent. Fairly sure the outcome was that as there was nothing in writing there was no proof of wrongdoing.

Rule 52.5 covers loans:

http://www.football-league.co.uk/regulations/20130704/section-6-players_2293633_2125731

52.5 During the period of any temporary loan transfer, a Player shall not play against his Parent Club (as defined in Regulation 53.1.1 below) without the prior written permission of the Parent Club (which, if given, must be indicated on the appropriate temporary loan transfer form).

Edited by opinions4u

Teams often put clauses into contracts. I'm trying to think of a specific case but struggling but I'm sure it's happened. I'm not saying for ever but it's generally for signings part the way threw a season. More if doesn't bite them on the arse during a current campaign.

I know if apples to loans but can be inserted for transfer signings as well if my memory serves me right!

It'd never happen in a million years. Brentford wouldn't have agreed to it.

Think you can't put such terms in a contract; so you need to rely on a "gentleman's agreement" we know how such an agreement worked out with Brentford.

Ironic he could have been back here on loan, anyway we know all about him, Clarke-Harris will run him ragged.

Edited by BP1960

He's on loan though isn't he and PL rules prevent loan players playing against their parent club? Tarky isn't on loan.

Except Ireland isn't on loan Villa sold him to Stoke in Jan, but he had been on loan. They had a gentleman's agreement.

http://www.dailystar.co.uk/sport/football/371517/Fabio-Borini-Watching-Liverpool-and-Sunderland-play-will-be-so-tough

Think maybe it just applies to loan moves. As stated think there are gentlemen's agreements in place where a player might get a mysterious injury, think it happened a year or two ago involving a Man United player who moved on but can't remember who.

Lordy there's some garbage written about the gentleman's agreement. It can't have been anything other than if it suits we'll loan him back. Inbetween the transfer and the propose loan date 2 Brentford centrebacks got injured - so it wasn't viable. No-one's fault

I'd have put a clause in that he must play against us. I like Tarky very much but would bet one of your English pounds that he will either stand on the ball on the edge of the box or bury a shinned effort into his own net.

I stand to be ridiculed come Saturday night.

Lordy there's some garbage written about the gentleman's agreement. It can't have been anything other than if it suits we'll loan him back. Inbetween the transfer and the propose loan date 2 Brentford centrebacks got injured - so it wasn't viable. No-one's fault

At least that 'garbage' was the truth! 2 Brentford centre backs didn't then get injured, they had been playing with injuries before the deal. This has been discussed fully on here so excuse me not bothering going over old ground yet again. You believe what you want! Brentford's manager reneged on the agreement, slimy Git!

Just seen this on Tarky and Saturdays match...http://www.manchestereveningnews.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/oldham-fired-up-brentford-clash-6881395

Interesting that every other club in the land would have inserted a clause to stop a former player from playing so close to signing but it shows once again how poor we are at the transfer market!

As has been said, tosh.

You are saying that no players play against their former club because every club puts clauses in transfer contracts. Tosh, sir. Absolute tosh.

At least that 'garbage' was the truth! 2 Brentford centre backs didn't then get injured, they had been playing with injuries before the deal. This has been discussed fully on here so excuse me not bothering going over old ground yet again. You believe what you want! Brentford's manager reneged on the agreement, slimy Git!

Bollocks. I expect you think MI5 murdered Princess Di and Shergar is sharing a flat with Lord Lucan

Tarky has grown into a real top player for this level, and we miss him - our side has been weakened by him not being here.

But - this is football. And he's a returning player. If he plays, I'd say its nailed on with the footballing Gods that he'll have an absolute mare of a game.

Then there'll be a thread started on here from an OP saying he was :censored: all along, never rated him and club were right to sell along; and Lockwood is twice the player he'll ever become. Those are the rules eh?

Edited by slystallone