James Wilson

what a player? bit of everything hasn't he... pace, strength, good in the tackle, never misses a header - oh and has now chipped in with the goal!

for me he's been our best signing tbh, especially if we can keep hold of him! the partnership him and Lockwood have got is great and Lockwood is definitely the organiser BUT for some reason there has been a massive love in for Lockwood and yet no ones mentioned how much ability Wilson has got?

only young aswell??

I'm looking forward to seeing how strong the partnership has got on Saturday, would be great if we can have those two as the reliable base to build on for next season.

As for Wilson, the one game I saw him in against Crewe he didn't seem particularly good on the ball but never looked like getting beaten by any balls over the top or on the floor. He let his man go for the goal but reports suggest that it was a mistake that has not been repeated. He did make things seem very comfortable at the back, which is something that's a rarity in the Latics defence over the years!

What's impressive is they have come up against some of the best strikers in the division since the partnership and have given little away (we will forget the last one who scored), during this time both have been carrying injuries to some extent and with a good pre season should improve even further.

I would imagine though in case of set backs another centre back will be signed - maybe on loan for the season, as previously suggested Cameron Burgess of Fulham would be my pick.

Edited by BP1960

what a player? bit of everything hasn't he... pace, strength, good in the tackle, never misses a header - oh and has now chipped in with the goal!

for me he's been our best signing tbh, especially if we can keep hold of him! the partnership him and Lockwood have got is great and Lockwood is definitely the organiser BUT for some reason there has been a massive love in for Lockwood and yet no ones mentioned how much ability Wilson has got?

only young aswell

I think if you read through most of the after match comments recently, Wilson has had a share if not more of the plaudits than Lockwood.

I think if you read through most of the after match comments recently, Wilson has had a share if not more of the plaudits than Lockwood.

don't necessarily mean on here, there was a full article in the chron on how good Lockwood is... yes i like him but for me Wilson is by far the most talented!w

Wilson has played very few games at this level, people forget that.

I really like him.. get him signed up!

We have not missed tarky. The evidence is there, we are keeping more clean sheets and the back 4 is much more solid. Wilson needs a lot of credit.

Edited by pukka

Wilson and Lockwood impressed me when they first played together at Swindon and have proved to be solid .We have not missed Tarky at all.Well done LJ and looking forward to next season already.

Will Bristol City want him back? Will he want to go back to Bristol City if he was guaranteed game time? Have Bristol City been keeping an eye on him?

People are talking about him as if he's an Oldham player.

he is an oldham player, bristol city released him

Superb once again today.

First couple of games for us his passing was appalling, that's improved and his defensive work is generally excellent alongside Lockwood.

Perhaps wouldn't have said it last year, but not too bothered that Grounds is going. Compared to Wilson he's easily passed and his passing is very wayward. Finding a left back has got to be a priority for summer, and if we choose to keep Mellor he may be able to cover or make that position his own.

Superb once again today.

First couple of games for us his passing was appalling, that's improved and his defensive work is generally excellent alongside Lockwood.

Perhaps wouldn't have said it last year, but not too bothered that Grounds is going. Compared to Wilson he's easily passed and his passing is very wayward. Finding a left back has got to be a priority for summer, and if we choose to keep Mellor he may be able to cover or make that position his own.

He was the only one who kept pace with Campbell-Ryce and put in a great tackle on him to cover after Grounds was beaten.

Wilson has been a revelation, yet again today he was outstanding, along with Brown and Rabchuka.

He's even taking the ball out of defence Tarkowski like now, hope this isn't a sign we will lose him for an undisclosed fee during next season.

Edited by BP1960

I can only echo all these sentiments. A great addition to our side. He's just what we need. Young, hungry and improving all the time.

We now look solid, just need to get the right balance so we don't lose an attacking threat

Came away today having seen this new look defence for the first time and thought its key that we retain Wilson, Rachubka and Brown. All outstanding. Grounds has always been steady but if he is one of the higher earners it won't be a disaster if he left.