Simon Corney to speak in Chron today

I know every player has it's price and we should not put the club's financial situation at risk for the sake of one player, but I would be very disappointed if we sell Smith.

The back 5 did great at the end of the season, Mills is at least an adequate replacement for Grounds and Brian Wilson is likely to be a good influence on the defence if he plays regularly, but I doubt that we will be anywhere near as solid without Smith in front of them. With the 6 defensive players as they are I think we would be very likely to finish top half as we'd have one of the meanest defences in the division for sure. With decent attackers and a strategy that suits them added to that, top 6 would be well within our reach.

Selling Smith is likely to destabilise our defence and while a player with Wes' ability and style is replaceable, it won't be easy to replace Smith.

Edited by the_mighty_bosh

• Replies 110
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

we need some luck at the start of next season thats for sure, its why I thought we would take a chance and try put a team together to get bums on seats this season, there is time yet but the signs are its going to be chop change loanees and freebies, dread to think what would happen if we went down I thought with us staying up we would of added but its looking like another rebuild with the amount of departures.

There's quite a few posters on here who are on the benefit of a roughly 40% price cut, in ST prices though. As Corney saw sense and extended the intermediate ST to include some 21 year olds.

The new stand could well be having a negative effect on ST sales too. If you know you are likely to miss the first few games for whatever reason, unless you had looked into in depth you might wonder why should I buy a ST to then have to pay £30 to get one in the new stand, why not buy one from the point you can use it, and probably be able to get one in the new stand without the extra £30. It actuality it doesn't quite work out like that but that took some calculating to be sure.

Essentially though number of STs sold is not as important as money earned from them though. Something we may be up on due to the price rise.

The more it think about it, the more I think the ridiculous £30 admin fee to transfer to the a North Stand put people off.

Hopefully these guys will still pay in the day until it's clear what will be available in the stand.

Don't put barriers in your customers' way and they will buy more.

Thought you'd moved onto Brown now?

I have said nothing but good things about Connor the Clown as he is great entertainment value and seems like a great bloke to have around the club and will be cheap wages wise. However I have doubted that he is good enough to be our first choice right back for a full season. LJ seems to agree!

I know every player has it's price and we should not put the club's financial situation at risk for the sake of one player, but I would be very disappointed if we sell Smith.

The back 5 did great at the end of the season, Mills is at least an adequate replacement for Grounds and Brian Wilson is likely to be a good influence on the defence if he plays regularly, but I doubt that we will be anywhere near as solid without Smith in front of them. With the 6 defensive players as they are I think we would be very likely to finish top half as we'd have one of the meanest defences in the division for sure. With decent attackers and a strategy that suits them added to that, top 6 would be well within our reach.

Selling Smith is likely to destabilise our defence and while a player with Wes' ability and style is replaceable, it won't be easy to replace Smith.

I think a lot of us totally agree but we know that the club is faced with losing in excess of half a million every season so the owner has to either stick or twist.

If he has said that we will accept a bid for Smith in excess of half a million and nothing less then there is some logic in putting him in the shop window now!

If he goes on the cheap then it does rather defeat the object

The more it think about it, the more I think the ridiculous £30 admin fee to transfer to the a North Stand put people off.

Hopefully these guys will still pay in the day until it's clear what will be available in the stand.

Not forgetting the £15 fee if you want to pay by finance.

I'm not sure poor home form is really a factor.

The good doctor is right, ultimately the bottom line is all important but I think they've missed a real opportunity to be a bit inventive to try and get more bums on seats.

£200-250 for season tickets, call it a thank you for sticking with us while there was only 3 stands, it might have meant the owners taking a hit and it might not have made a difference but at the moment there is a sense of peoples support being taken for granted IMO.

What I don't get is that it looks like the club are basing complying with the fair play rules and looking at our revenue being down purely on ST sales. But next seasons L1 is virtually a L1 North and there will be higher than normal away attendances and a fair few extra home fans at some of the more attractive games

What I don't get is that it looks like the club are basing complying with the fair play rules and looking at our revenue being down purely on ST sales. But next seasons L1 is virtually a L1 North and there will be higher than normal away attendances and a fair few extra home fans at some of the more attractive games

But the club still will not get anywhere near breaking even

With any business that is failing there always has to be a plan or strategy to turn a failing business into a successful one.....what is Corneys plan?

Doing the same thing year in year out and hoping for the best isn't working!

If the plan is make as much as quickly as possible and then sell our one asset to even the books so be it but it strikes me as very risky! We need some invention a different way of thinking

But the club still will not get anywhere near breaking even

Are there actual figures and evidence to support this ? I would find it very hard to believe that we are 500k down on last season taking player sales and cup runs into consideration, are we effectively saying that without the sale of assets and the lucrative matches over the past two years we would go under ?

Are we effectively saying that without the sale of assets and the lucrative matches over the past two years we would go under ?

No-but we would have further losses to be subsidised by the owner(s), which may be dealt with differently these days with 2 of the TTA being basically just investors.

I would imagine that they will have said to SC no more losses will be subsidised by us 2-go and run it yourself and sort out the funds yourself.

The 4 cup games within a 18month period protected SC a lot but not enough to enable future investment since they just basically covered the losses on running costs

Edited by ChaddySmoker

What do you mean?

Not forgetting the £15 fee if you want to pay by finance.

I'm not sure poor home form is really a factor.

The good doctor is right, ultimately the bottom line is all important but I think they've missed a real opportunity to be a bit inventive to try and get more bums on seats.

£200-250 for season tickets, call it a thank you for sticking with us while there was only 3 stands, it might have meant the owners taking a hit and it might not have made a difference but at the moment there is a sense of peoples support being taken for granted IMO.

Having spoken to many season ticket holders who have not renewed, the general opinion was "I'm not paying up front to see negative tactics at home with the likelihood of no goals and hoping for a draw"

I fall into that bracket, have held back to see what sort of team we are going to be fielding, its okay the people calling on fans to stump up for season tickets but last season I was genuinely optimistic before it started but this season im getting worried, thats my choice and im sure there are others I went to 90% of all games last season it may be more aways than home this season, if the same sort of football is being served up. As for trying to entice fans back I feel the club has given up and budgets based on the hardcore couple of thousand, SC seems to have a defeatest attitude to most things his latest moan being the 50k shortfall that the reduced season ticket sales have produced, surely the unexpected following Notts County brought would of compensated this ? We are being fed the excuses this season before it even starts.

With any business that is failing there always has to be a plan or strategy to turn a failing business into a successful one.....what is Corneys plan?

If the plan is make as much as quickly as possible and then sell our one asset to even the books so be it but it strikes me as very risky! We need some invention a different way of thinking

If you have any ideas, do let us know. Invention as in a new machine? Different way of thinking as in cyborg feminism?

I've said it so many times, the football since shez is largely very, very boring. I sit there most home games playing on my phone, taking the piss out of oppo bench/subs. It is very dull.

I've never had blind loyalty, (total fair play to those that do because the club would fold without them) if it's particulary bad I give the next one or two a miss. Equally if they put in any kind of performance (not even result) I don't miss the next three.

What do you want for your money? I just want get off my seat once or twice, as see us try an be positive. That's it. Unfortunately we very rarely even see that.

I'll be there though come the start of the season. Quietly confident we can mount a challenge. . Until they inevitably sap my enthusiasm away.

Diversify income streams to help support the business i.e. the new stand.

On the otherhand, probably the most sensible 'business' decision would be to kill off the failing business and do something that actually makes money. Thank god that the club is more than a business though.

Having spoken to many season ticket holders who have not renewed, the general opinion was "I'm not paying up front to see negative tactics at home with the likelihood of no goals and hoping for a draw"

Where and when did you speak to these "many season ticket holders who have not renewed"?

I haven't come across one either online or in real life. I feel left out.

Where and when did you speak to these "many season ticket holders who have not renewed"?

I haven't come across one either online or in real life. I feel left out.

You are quite welcome to join us at the many local pubs I drink in Harry. :)

There's a flip side to those tactics - they took us on a decent unbeaten run that if repeated over a season would probably see us in the play offs.

I think people would pay to see a winning team, no matter what the style (it wasn't actually that bad in the games I saw). 17 seasons floating around the bottom half of the same league with little excitement of either going up or down - having spoken to no season ticket holders, that's what has seen attendances drop in my opinion.