Meanwhile, over in Yorkshire...

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Glad he went was taking us down and with wellens and furman he won't be getting a good reception from me

Wellens was the best player to watch in a Latics shirt in god knows how long. I don't understand the negative feeling there.

The guy is a greedy bastard. I'm sure this feeling was made clear the same season we played them by most

If somebody offered you a 300% pay rise to do the same job for a different employer when your career has less than ten years left and you need to support your family for 50 years after that career ends, what would you do?

Dickov doesn't deserve abuse from us. People only remember the negatives and not the positives. I don't think he's a rubbish manager, there have been many worse than him. If he had been that bad he'd have been gone much sooner than he did. He won't ever be a fantastic manager but he gave everything for this club and gave us some great moments along the way.

I remember most of our targets had Donnie sniffing all around them, there fans also pissed me off by telling us that chris taylor was going to sign for them.

Looking back now, its no biggie, im far more mature and intelligent now to be upset.

Wellens was the best player to watch in a Latics shirt in god knows how long. I don't understand the negative feeling there.

I think because ability alone is not enough for supporters to take you to their hearts. I agree that Wellens was as good a footballer we have had at BP for a number of years, but he didn't ever really come across as a fully committed player to the club - though he is not in the minority there.

Contracts in football these days are relatively short, signing on fees almost non existent in the lower leagues, and clubs are as dis-loyal as the players are. So I have no particular issue with a player deciding to move on and earn more money elsewhere - particularly if that is at a club with a bit more money to spend and therefore offers more chance to not be involved in a mid-table / relegation battle.

Fans favourites are created whereby for reasons on both sides you get a player that stays with a club for long enough that an affinity is built up on both sides - David Eyres for example. Though I think David would have wanted another season and Latics from a 'business' point of view didn't give it.

These are rare circumstance. Wellens was not one of them.

Sort of back to the original topic. Dickov was a good man (as mentioned the celebration of the equaliser against Everton after he'd been sacked speaks volumes for the man), and an average manager (we have had far worse). I think that given an extended period of time he might have been a good manager for us - but Latics, like every other club in the league doesn't want to put up with what might be 3 or 4 poor/average seasons whilst a manager cuts his teeth and develops a team.

I for one will feel no malice to him or any ex-player that turns up this - or any season.

Ironically, it'll be the same herberts who persisted in singing "one Paul Dickov" for far too long who'll be the one's giving him :censored:.

this... even at forest away people were singing 'one paul dickov' we'd lost something like the 7 out of 10 games before that?

I find it hard to criticise fans showing support like that, even if I disagree.

get your point but i thought it wasnt relavent.. thought the 10 minutes after one of our best games in many a year could have been spent singing latics songs, not giving praise to the one individual

this... even at forest away people were singing 'one paul dickov' we'd lost something like the 7 out of 10 games before that?

Even as a staunch Dickov critic, I had to use every ounce of willpower in my body to stop myself singing that song when he was celebrating in front of us at Forest...

Even as a staunch Dickov critic, I had to use every ounce of willpower in my body to stop myself singing that song when he was celebrating in front of us at Forest...

i was the same, i just couldn't do it though! wouldn't live it down

The guy is a greedy bastard. I'm sure this feeling was made clear the same season we played them by most

Been here many times

Player's maximise their earnings during their 'limited' careers

Few show loyalty when money talks

Edited by stevesidg

It's cringeworthy that some sort of mini rivalry has formed with Donny because of Dickov. He resigned at the right time, after his celebrations against Everton I can't dislike him and I wish him the best of luck in his future. Furman, on the other hand....

It's cringeworthy that some sort of mini rivalry has formed with Donny because of Dickov. He resigned at the right time, after his celebrations against Everton I can't dislike him and I wish him the best of luck in his future. Furman, on the other hand....

In fairness, we had a mini rivalry before that.

Now that the Scholes and Micah sagas are drawing to a welcome close and are safely being locked in a crate in a giant Washington Warehouse along with countless other similar crates, I thought we may nee another one...

http://www.doncasterroversfc.co.uk/news/article/quitting-not-an-option-1780473.aspx

I love a good saga just as much as the next man!