A New Star Is Found In A Latics Shirt #17

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thought Tidser played very well tonight and was always showing for the ball. Mopped up and kept it simple which was exactly what was needed. Credit also goes to Dayton and Jones who I also thought had good games. Mixed opinion on Wilkinsons performance, put himself about but wasteful at times and thought he should have done better with his chance or at least squared it to Philliskirk.

Poleon was a lot more wasteful than wilkinson . Good player in there but very frustrating and what a stupid booking . Some very good performances tonight in a game that should of been put to bed at around the 55 minute mark at the very latest .

Chubs - decent enough

B Wilson - best right back since Kieron lee . Great engine . Stuck with the dangerous Cole well in dying stages .

J Wilson - fast and intelligent . Distribution improving . Get him on a longer deal NOW

Dieng - very good in the tackle and calm on the ball . A few dodgy moments but to be expected after limited game time in a new country .

Mills- starting to look like last years loanee .

Tidser - very impressed . Can't add to what's been said above.

Jones - think he's my new favourite player . Just needs to add a goal to his game . His performances are more impressive considering he's only just been converted from a right winger .

Dayton - thought he was decent tonight . Very busy . Looks good in the pockets in the middle rather than just being on the wing .

Philli - getting back to where he was whilst at his best last season . 3 in 3 with an assist thrown in as well .

Poleon - as above

Wilkinson - He splits opinions but I'm impressed . Think we should be trying to extend his loan . Put himself about well against some experienced defenders tonight . Unlucky to have a few shots blocked . Brings others in to play and will bag on Saturday ;)

Poleon and Wilkinson were excellent in patches, but both of them were wasteful when it came to playing in their team-mates. Some real quality from both of them though...

Dayton and Philiskirk were superb though, so good at linking the play and feeding off each other. Their intelligence and movement made that formation work.

I don't see how there can be any doubts about Wilkinson. He did make some poor decisions in the final third but for a big strong centre forward, he is quick and nimble to boot.

There is clearly a serious player in there who must be very difficult to defend against. If we can get him on a season loan, we instantly become a dangerous contender for the top 10 (or even top 6!)

Not sure about that, too good a player to sit on the sidelines,not my thinking but I can see Winchester being left out by the manager and Jones moving to right midfield to accommodate Tidser and Kelly.

Edited by BP1960

Tidser played very well.

My complaint about Wilkinson is probably down to maturity and experience. Knowing when to pass rather than shoot and vice versa. It'll come in time for him but I'm not convinced we should be giving him the game time. We need an experienced striker up top.

Christ, Philiskirk has only played one season of professional football. Our forwards are massively inexperienced.

We've got 2 strikers at the moment who both look like they are nearly brilliant.

Poleon was superb overall tonight but he lacks the strikers instinct and also makes errors in decision making. Too many shots when there were better options available.

Wilkinson is a good target man but again is too greedy and doesn't look like he is going to put the ball in the back of the net.

If we stick with them they will both come good. The worry is that we don't have time with Wilkinson as we never know when he's going to go back to Bolton.

If they do click though, there could be no stopping us this season.

It was his assuredness which took the eye, even more impressive in that he was the only holding midfielder, allowing Jones to venture much further forward. This is what I've been waiting for at home games and the number of shots on goal showed how effective it was, better finishing and we are almost there.

It was his assuredness which took the eye, even more impressive in that he was the only holding midfielder, allowing Jones to venture much further forward. This is what I've been waiting for at home games and the number of shots on goal showed how effective it was, better finishing and we are almost there.

I find it amazing he hasnt had any game time up until last night especially as Kelly has struggled at times for me, he oozed confidence and had the ability to back it up, I fear we may go back to Kelly/Jones starting on Saturday but its certainly given the manager something to think about, Im sure he could also slot in at centrehalf his positional sense and awareness was spot on, I know its only one game in the JPT but as debuts go the lad could of done no more.

I'm still not convinced by Dayton at all, he's too lightweight and constantly gets out muscled.

Yes he's lightweight,but he's one of our best creative players,drives forward with intent.He is a wide player who can actually run past the full back and whip in dangerous crosses.He has done well this season when given the chance.Just so happens he's behind in the pecking order to our only regular goalscorer.

Edited by ceskylatic