As above, you have grouped the two least similar player into the same bracket and backed up your point with the usual moan about his inability to last more than 60 mins. Winchester's strength is without doubt his ability to retain possession, often with some stunning footwork allowing him to pass the ball on. Unfortunately, this desire to retain the ball at all times sometimes means he doesn't look to play enough slide rule passes, of which we know he his more than capable.

HandsOn didnt say that they were similar players-He was stating that they both have the same fault! In your last sentence you seem to agree with him.

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Poleon and Winchester suffer from the same problem in what has become a slick passing side. They both don't know when to pass.

:lol:

Along with Jones, Winchester is probably our only other player who CAN pick & time a pass! Poleons chance, our best chance, yesterday being an example.

Are you talking about the same Winchester? Carl?

I don't think I could disagree any more about Winchester, he and Jones are the two most comfortable players we have on the ball, I've hardly seen either give it away this season.

Agree completely Winchester has been so unlucky for somehow finding himself out of the team,for me he should of started yesterday, im not knocking Dayton as he has really improved but Winchester just has that bit more quality, Dayton has been more effective coming on as an impact player and if anything he struggles physically more than Carl, other than that my only disappointment was Browns inability to bring the ball out of defence he just struggles with the attacking part of his game and in our current system he just doesnt have the quality to fit in, I wasnt gutted at all leaving the ground yesterday gave the runaway leaders a good game and for large parts held our own, plenty to look forward to in the coming weeks.

I think the point that is trying to be made is that at times - and particularly when we are trying to attack quickly on the counter - Winchesters preference to want to hold the ball can slow the speed of attack.

When we are at home, this matters less, but particularly at Chesterfield (admittedly his worst performance) it was noticable - as was his fitness issue!

To disagree with the assessment is fine, but to suggest there is no logic is wrong IMHO!!

I think the point that is trying to be made is that at times - and particularly when we are trying to attack quickly on the counter - Winchesters preference to want to hold the ball can slow the speed of attack.

To disagree with the assessment is fine, but to suggest there is no logic is wrong IMHO!!

But Whitey we all know more about football than the Manager himself, obviously!

Good players pass the ball before they even look up, as they have sussed out the situation before receiving the ball-that is why they are good players!

Move over Liam Kelly, Dominic Poleon is here.

Lockwood then Kelly now Poleon the OWTB's boo boy curse? Should be a :censored:in superstar my Christmas!

Difference is, Kelly and Locky both looked like they were trying, it was likely a lack of fitness holding them back. Poleon's showed a pretty poor mentality so far, thinking of the incident at the end yesterday, his rash challenge on Butler vs Walsall, and I think in the same game he was moaning and throwing his arms around. Definitely feels like he thinks he's the mutt's nuts and that he deserves to be at a 'bigger' club - despite only having scored 5 league goals in his life.

His pace means he could absolutely be useful. But LJ has a big job on his hands getting into his head - similar to JCH last season.

Poleon is a kid who is over trying when he gets on the pitch, seen it all before with young players and especially strikers. He's quick, strong but inexperienced and learning his trade. We've seen many players do this from Cecere, Eyre, Vernon, Porter, JCH and now Poleon, how many of these had great first seasons at Latics? How many had better second, third seasons? And that is just the strikers, we've had other young players in other positions we're people have later eaten their words after writing them off early.

LJ needed to replace JCH, wanted to do it with a fast player and Poleon was available on deadline day. He was never going to fit in straight away and the longer it goes before he learns the mental side of being a striker we will keep seeing his mazy runs to nowhere, shots from angles that even a rudimentary grasp of the laws of physics tell you will not result in a goal and head dropping when he feels it isn't going his way.

He is also adjusting to going from a big club to a small one. He's probably still in the "What have I done?" stage with his move here and we won't see anything approaching his best until the back end of next season. He is lucky that there is a ready made template for him to learn from in Forte at the club, both are quick and are doing the same role, he needs to learn off his movement, positioning and bringing other players into the game.

'My only disappointment was Browns inability to bring the ball out of defence he just struggles with the attacking part of his game and in our current system he just doesnt have the quality to fit in'

I expected LJ to bring on Dieng into the middle and move Kasunga to right back once it became clear that B Wilson had to come off.

It's difficult when you're only getting 15 mins game time here and there......you have to remember he's hardly played any competitive football in his life.

He needs a run in the side like Winchester did and then perhaps we will be able to judge him better......it is far too early to write him off at this stage, LJ did say when he signed him that he'd be a work in progress and was nowhere near the finished article.

Give the lad a chance and I'm sure he'll come good.

Poleon is a kid who is over trying when he gets on the pitch, seen it all before with young players and especially strikers. He's quick, strong but inexperienced and learning his trade. We've seen many players do this from Cecere, Eyre, Vernon, Porter, JCH and now Poleon, how many of these had great first seasons at Latics? How many had better second, third seasons? And that is just the strikers, we've had other young players in other positions we're people have later eaten their words after writing them off early.

LJ needed to replace JCH, wanted to do it with a fast player and Poleon was available on deadline day. He was never going to fit in straight away and the longer it goes before he learns the mental side of being a striker we will keep seeing his mazy runs to nowhere, shots from angles that even a rudimentary grasp of the laws of physics tell you will not result in a goal and head dropping when he feels it isn't going his way.

He is also adjusting to going from a big club to a small one. He's probably still in the "What have I done?" stage with his move here and we won't see anything approaching his best until the back end of next season. He is lucky that there is a ready made template for him to learn from in Forte at the club, both are quick and are doing the same role, he needs to learn off his movement, positioning and bringing other players into the game.

This is a great point about Poleon he does appear to be trying too hard and is desperate to do well, attitude can be worked on for me and we have the right manager for that, we probably wont see the best of him till after Christmas so Im happy to let him find his feet with us.

Echoing a lot of the above, we gave the unbeaten League leaders a good go yesterday. Granted we had some heart-in-the-mouth moments, especially in the first 15 minutes or so, but we did look good going forward.

With a bit more composure, particularly from Poleon, we'd have taken a point. Whilst I agree with some of the Poleon comments, let's not forget he's still young and learning his trade.

There's definitely a footballer in there and he most likely needs LJ to put his arm round him a la JCH. There's times he'll need a kick up the arse as well, but I honestly believe he can come good given time.

We've proved again that we're capable of going toe to toe with anyone in this division, so the future looks bright provided we can hang on to this squad.

For me, Mills and Ibehre were the pick of the bunch. I would hope that we can make the big fella a permanent signing in January.

A special mention to the 490 who never stopped singing for a minute. What a racket! To make that amount of noise stuck in the corner of a stadium with over 12,000 in there was nothing short of fantastic.

It's not often you leave a ground after a defeat and still feel upbeat, but that's how everyone I spoke to yesterday was feeling.

Now let's go and make Orient and the rest pay for it.

Wow, that's a long way off, not sure we can be waiting that amount that time for him to start producing.

Wow, that's a long way off, not sure we can be waiting that amount that time for him to start producing.

Depends what other options we have and luckily at the moment we seem to have a few.

I think we can wait, last year was never going to be JCH's best and by this stage he had barely scored a goal, yet he chipped in sporadically and made a nuisance of himself at other times. And arguably we needed JCH more last year than we need Poleon now.

He's been a disappointment so far but, wasn't he the player who came closest to scoring for us yesterday?

He'll come good.

Agree he just needs to let it happen he is a bit head down and too much huff and puff, plenty of attributes just needs to piece them together, if that shot yesterday is either side of the keeper he is an hero, suprised he came on for Forte though, I thought that gave them a little lift.

Depends what other options we have and luckily at the moment we seem to have a few.

I think we can wait, last year was never going to be JCH's best and by this stage he had barely scored a goal, yet he chipped in sporadically and made a nuisance of himself at other times. And arguably we needed JCH more last year than we need Poleon now.

Aye, true enough, coming out of Leeds first team I thought he might be a bit closer to the finished article though, different from Turner where we've basically took him from college football.

Aye, true enough, coming out of Leeds first team I thought he might be a bit closer to the finished article though, different from Turner where we've basically took him from college football.

Turner has bulked up a lot, I'd give him games ahead of Bove. Ideally he'd go on loan to Hartlepool though until the new year

Is there any evidence that Poleon has an attitude problem?

For me yes.

The filthy looks he gives his team mates when he makes a run but doesn't get the ball (they've given it to a better placed team mate) say it all.

Has talent. Needs managing.

Edited by opinions4u

Is there any evidence that Poleon has an attitude problem?

No, none but if you read the board long enough you will realise it is the belief that most out of form footballers are having problems because of their attitude being all wrong. Its very common you know?

Even some players who are just linked to us are diagnosed with it by reading other teams message boards. Its a problem that is engulfing this game we love.....

Edited by palmer1