Premier League TV rights sold for £5bn

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

One small positive It may mean a rise in transfer fees upwards. Championship clubs with a decent player will demand more from the cash rich prem sides and that will then affect fees for league 1/2 players moving up. Remember the rules on English players means their value will always rise and rise.

One small positive It may mean a rise in transfer fees upwards. Championship clubs with a decent player will demand more from the cash rich prem sides and that will then affect fees for league 1/2 players moving up. Remember the rules on English players means their value will always rise and rise.

Or the richer clubs will expand their academies and grab ever increasing numbers of young prospects, leaving just the dregs for the rest of us.

Edited by oafcmetty

Sticking them on 3 or 4k a week meaning players like Ellis Plummer are well out of our reach :)

And the rest.....

Yes, this by product of the Sky money is a big problem. Not least because the likes of Plummer, if advised properly, can be very comfortable financially without ever even having what could be described as an actual football career.

Someone like Reece Wabara, as an example, dropping down to this level to play is now a rarity.

Or the richer clubs will expand their academies and grab ever increasing numbers of young prospects, leaving just the dregs for the rest of us.

Anyone's guess really. The academies are huge already but I'm not seeing a whole lot of players coming through. Maybe the teams below the top few will start to ditch their own development and pick up scraps. Ones who've played a few games might be sought after.

Swindon and MK have made the best use of these mega-academies.

MK have had some brilliant strikers in the past couple of years from the London clubs in Afobe and Bamford, and Swindon have had Luongo, Byrne and Obika all from Tottenham on loan go on to sign permanently - 3 brilliant players at this level and probably very good players in the Championship - as well as Pritchard on loan last season.

Why we haven't been able to make use of having so many big clubs on our doorstep, including the Scouse teams, is really mystifying.

Edited by NewBlue

Swindon and MK have made the best use of these mega-academies.

MK have had some brilliant strikers in the past couple of years from the London clubs in Afobe and Bamford, and Swindon have had Luongo, Byrne and Obika all from Tottenham on loan go on to sign permanently - 3 brilliant players at this level and probably very good players in the Championship - as well as Pritchard on loan last season.

Why we haven't been able to make use of having so many big clubs on our doorstep, including the Scouse teams, is really mystifying.

I'd much rather us do what we're doing now - getting young, promising players with a bit of baggage/injuries and turning them round and selling them on!

Instead of having loan players from bigger clubs developing themselves here, then moving on to bigger and better things with us getting zero money for helping..

The ultimate target for sides like Latics is to reach the promised land, take the cash and come straight back down. Yoyo every third year and grab the parachutes.

I would hate that really. For me it's at the point where the football league should break away and become a competition in it;'s own right with the championship as the top division. What's the point in this top division that is effectively a closed shop that nobody can seriously ever make any impact in without a bottomless pit of cash. It isn't sport anymore, it;s just a competition of who has the most money and is willing to take the biggest risk. People complain about this 'awful division' but League One is more exciting than the prem, who would have expected us, Dale and Chesterfield to be challenging for the top 6? The relative financial parity between the 24 clubs in the division means that given the right set of circumstances anybody can find themselves pushing for promotion or conversely fighting relegation. That's what sport should be. The Prem is the hello magazine of sport. Hello magazine is gaudy :censored:.

I would hate that really. For me it's at the point where the football league should break away and become a competition in it;'s own right with the championship as the top division. What's the point in this top division that is effectively a closed shop that nobody can seriously ever make any impact in without a bottomless pit of cash. It isn't sport anymore, it;s just a competition of who has the most money and is willing to take the biggest risk. People complain about this 'awful division' but League One is more exciting than the prem, who would have expected us, Dale and Chesterfield to be challenging for the top 6? The relative financial parity between the 24 clubs in the division means that given the right set of circumstances anybody can find themselves pushing for promotion or conversely fighting relegation. That's what sport should be. The Prem is the hello magazine of sport. Hello magazine is gaudy :censored:.

+1

I have said many times the main reason I'd like to be in the PL was because it means we'd have had two unbelievable promotion seasons. Once you're there, urgh.

Nothing more boring than people moaning about the Premier League, as if it wouldn't be great to have those teams coming to town every other week.

That's really not the point.

It's about the fact no one is able to compete even if they do get promoted. Not necessarily talking about Latics, more about historic clubs like Wednesday and Derby not harbouring any ambitions other than cockroach status if they go up. Year on year it's the same teams at the top, same teams in the middle and the same cockroaches around the bottom, and excluding enormous investment of somebody else it will always produce the same narrative every year under this system.

It's really boring. Maybe one season would be good for the novelty, but give me ambition in the Championship over 17th place in the PL every day of the week.

I do not hate the Premier League - at times there are some absolutely corking games, and whilst the best teams will get to the top there is an element of unpredictability in the results that makes it interesting - plus some of the absolute best talent in the world is on display (though not all - La Liga still takes some of THE best).

The top of the league is dominated by a small number of teams - and the chances of a decent team from the large supported areas winning the title (Leeds, Villa, Everton etc) because they create a good squad has gone. But they can still get in the much value Champions League places (Southampton doing a good job of causing an upset this season).

But I do feel that it is a million miles away from where we are. And it is almost impossible to see a team of our stature ever stand a hope in hell of getting to and remaining in the PL...but then again it was always the case.

Try convincing the Likes of Nottingham Forrest, Leeds, Derby County Middlesborough, that we should cut the chance to get promoted to the PL and go it alone as the football league. In fact try convincing the whole of the championship I bet every single club would veto the idea. I agree that their is a pantomime factor involved in the PL and if we got their our aim would be to stay in it. It was when we got there the first time we all enjoyed the ride I think you will agree.

This is another major concern at the moment the big clubs are just stock pilling players Chelsea had over 30 out on loan last season and probably have the same amount again. Man City have built a huge academy which will house a huge number of players no doubt there because their is a 0.0001% chance that they might play for Man City. The rest will either be sent out on loan or just fall by the wayside. I think their needs to be a limit on the playing staff employed at each club or how many they can send out on loan because you then get to a stage where potentially the majority of players playing in the football league are in fact owned by premier league clubs and that's not healthy for the game as a whole.

theyll keep the prices at just about the right level to keep the lower classes out of their gleaming football palaces

Oh they want them in they just want them to pay an extortionate amount of money for it Boxing is probably another example of a hugely expensive sport to watch at the top end which is still predominantly followed by the lower middle and working classes.

The best sportsman that has competed in any sport in my lifetime is without a shadow of doubt (in my opinion)Tony McCoy who will shortly be confirmed as being champion jockey for the 20th successive year. I could watch him endlessly (though not in a stalkery sort of way) so the status quo is not necessarily boring.

As for changing of the guard at the top end of the Premiership; if anyone had said Southampron would be where they are now when they were down with us they'd have been certified.

I think their needs to be a limit on the playing staff employed at each club or how many they can send out on loan because you then get to a stage where potentially the majority of players playing in the football league are in fact owned by premier league clubs and that's not healthy for the game as a whole.

I suppose that the FFP rules will have an impact on the playing budget a club can have?